Amtrak Superliners.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Sources" are generally Amtrak Employees or others with access to Amtrak's "non-public" computer system and maintenance workers at Bear, the Grove, Sanford, etc.

pismobum said:
"Sources" are generally Amtrak Employees or others with access to Amtrak's "non-public" computer system and maintenance workers at Bear, the Grove, Sanford, etc.
Does Amtrak approve of these activities (such as publication of non-public data)?

I'll be the first to admit, even I am a source for pismobum's website. While I haven't supplied a wealth of information for the site, I did report the 32100, 34125, and 34126 as scrapped. It's really not hard to see the cars are scrapped, just because of where they've sat for a year and a half. As far as employees looking up the status of certain cars I see no real issue with it. If a network of rail watchers was assembled to monitor consists nationwide, you could in a sense get real time information on the location of just about any car in the Amtrak system. Those that do not show up could be considered out of service after enough data is compiled.

Oh yeah, I realize that, but I wonder if Amtrak would have any concern, especially post-9/11, in the fact that their cars are all listed in one place, easy for some terrorist or malicious person to access. Especially if they themselves didn't release the info outside of their employee network.

Well if they were handing out blueprints to the cars, that might be a bit more dangerous. :eek:

However, I'm not real sure what anyone could do with the knowledge that Amtrak owns 57 Superliner Diners. It's not like they are handing out the exact locations of those diners either. Of course that knowledge is pretty easy to come by anyhow, just by picking up an Amtrak timetable.

Locations of most cars especially if they are anywhere in public view could be deemed readily public information. I don't believe there is any inherent danger in listing the cars on hand or whether some are undergoing repair or whatnot. An example of this is that airfans typically list the registration number of aircraft they see along with type and location as well as fleet information on a regular basis. From what I have seen no one attempts to discourage the practice not even the airlines.

Back