Amtrak Superliner in Google Earth/Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkaemena

Lead Service Attendant
Has anybody seen a Superliners travelling somewhere on Google Earth/maps? Well there is one in Chicago Union St., but I mean somewhere in the open landscape. I would be thankful for any hint.

Willy

No, but I did find a Silver Service train passing through Odenton, MD on the NEC. Old photograph, they still had the heritage dorm car in between the baggage car and the Viewliners.

I think eastbound CL appears at 39.525651N 76.460232W. Second opinion is necessary.....

Blasted.....I wrote down the wrong coordinates and I lost the location in GE.... train was located east of Cumberland, MD....

Will try to re-locate

Last edited by a moderator:
I think eastbound CL appears at 39.525651N 76.460232W. Second opinion is necessary.....
Blasted.....I wrote down the wrong coordinates and I lost the location in GE.... train was located east of Cumberland, MD....

Will try to re-locate
Either that train is parked in somebody's barnyard or I'm not navigating correctly... :blink:

I thought about where CL Superliners would be during mid-day and then followed the tracks until I found a consist that looked typical.

If you look at Beech Grove on Virtual Earth, there are dozens of them.

ok.... try 39.525651N 78.460232W
I'll bet that's it. That stretch of track looks familiar.
Thanks a lot, that is the CL on August 25, 2007. But due to the trees next to the track and the shadow I think I will rather stick with my location at Roosevelt Rd south of Union St. Chicago, which gives a much clearer view. You can see it here on the map

http://www.360cities.net/map#lat=41.86617&...355&zoom=19

and you can actually go on the Superliner ( blue markers) and fly trough all cars and accommodations and have a look around (360 degrees). Free of charge and without ticket. Firefox and Flash 10 recommended for the trip. :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, that is the CL on August 25, 2007. But due to the trees next to the track and the shadow I think I will rather stick with my location at Roosevelt Rd south of Union St. Chicago, which gives a much clearer view. You can see it here on the map

and you can actually go on the Superliner ( blue markers) and fly trough all cars and accommodations and have a look around (360 degrees). Free of charge and without ticket. Firefox and Flash 10 recommended for the trip. :rolleyes:
I have Firefox/3.0.7 and Flash 10, all I get is a "360 cities" screen with a data entry box on upper right, the rest of the page is blank. I must have something else screwey here...

I have Firefox/3.0.7 and Flash 10, all I get is a "360 cities" screen with a data entry box on upper right, the rest of the page is blank. I must have something else screwey here...
I have IE 8 and I don't get anything, either????

I have IE 8 and I don't get anything, either????
I have Firefox and it works great. Google maps shows the train in Chicago with icons on cars to look inside of like their Streetview. When did you last update Firefox? Mine needed it last night, now version 3.0.8. There are 8 views inside the train plus one view standing at the end of the Roosevelt Bridge.

"I have Firefox/3.0.7 and Flash 10, all I get is a "360 cities" screen with a data entry box on upper right, the rest of the page is blank. I must have something else screwey here..."

"I have IE 8 and I don't get anything, either????"

"I have Firefox and it works great. Google maps shows the train in Chicago with icons on cars to look inside of like their Streetview. When did you last update Firefox? Mine needed it last night, now version 3.0.8. There are 8 views inside the train plus one view standing at the end of the Roosevelt Bridge."

As I am part of that website I am especially thankful of any report about problems to see it. We will look into this matter. :unsure: Please check that popups are not blocked.

"There are 8 views inside the train plus one view standing at the end of the Roosevelt Bridge." beside of 16000 other views all over the world....when zooming out in the map view.

Willy

"I have Firefox/3.0.7 and Flash 10, all I get is a "360 cities" screen with a data entry box on upper right, the rest of the page is blank. I must have something else screwey here..."

"I have IE 8 and I don't get anything, either????"

"I have Firefox and it works great. Google maps shows the train in Chicago with icons on cars to look inside of like their Streetview. When did you last update Firefox? Mine needed it last night, now version 3.0.8. There are 8 views inside the train plus one view standing at the end of the Roosevelt Bridge."

As I am part of that website I am especially thankful of any report about problems to see it. We will look into this matter. :unsure: Please check that popups are not blocked.

"There are 8 views inside the train plus one view standing at the end of the Roosevelt Bridge." beside of 16000 other views all over the world....when zooming out in the map view.

Willy
Ok, now I have FireFox 3.0.8, and I just verified Flash WIN 10,0,22,87 is the latest and greatest; still no joy. Off to diddle the popup stoper (usually tells me when it blocks something)...

EDIT:

Hot damn, that was it. Turn off your popup stoppers. Off to play now...

You can also see this through Google Earth, just go the same place mentioned above just south of Union Station Chicago.

You can also see this through Google Earth, just go the same place mentioned above just south of Union Station Chicago.

Yes that is right , my 360cities is linked to Google Earth. To see it you have to go to the layers in Google earth: Primary Database/Gallery and tick the 360cities box. watch for the red 360 dots on the earth. Then you can fly into the Superliner :rolleyes: :p

Yes that is right , my 360cities is linked to Google Earth. To see it you have to go to the layers in Google earth: Primary Database/Gallery and tick the 360cities box. watch for the red 360 dots on the earth. Then you can fly into the Superliner :rolleyes: :p
I know this is off topic, but I wanted to thank you personally for all the great panos on your site! I found them before I found this site. They really set my mind at ease about the Superliner bedroom features & size. I also enjoy looking at all the other trains too. Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back