AMTRAK Status Maps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
I was just looking at the AMTRAK Status Maps web site, and it shows practically all the trains running late.....anything from somewhat late to EXTREMELY late. Is this common for AMTRAK at this time of the year (winter months), or is it quite common all year long??? I'm thinking like August of next year....what to expect on the Silver Meteor, the Capitol Limited and the Empire Builder.

I also saw where the Empire was sooooo late they bus rode the people from MSP to Chicago. If that were to happen in August when we plan to travel back home from Minnesota to Florida, I believe I would cancel the return on the Empire and delay the trip for a day.....could I do that??? I really don't have any desire to ride a bus.

If the EB just happens to be running late on the day you take it, and Amtrak offers the bus to connect with your train out of Chicago, you either must take that bus or it voids your guaranteed connection. With that connection voided, if there is indeed space on the next day (and sleepers aren't likely, but coach might be available), you can trade your tickets in for the next day's train but you must pay any price differences. And traveling on the rail pass, that could cause a significant jump in price.

And remember that you have to be able to find space on two trains, one from Chicago to DC and then from DC to Florida. And both could very well jump in price if all the rail pass seats are sold out, something that is probably likely.

Rail Pass Seats sold out....what do you mean by that?? Are only a certain amount of seats saved for "AMTRAK rail pass" customers on each train??? Another thing I didn't know.

Rail Pass Seats sold out....what do you mean by that?? Are only a certain amount of seats saved for "AMTRAK rail pass" customers on each train???
Exactly. It used to be if there was a seat available, you got it. No more.

Now there is a select amount of seats set aside for use with the rail passes. Once they're gone you either have to pick a different day to travel that still has railpass seats available or you must pay the difference between the price value of the railpass seat and the current price for regular seats on the train.

Thats good information....so as soon as we are 180 days away from the start of our travel in August, we better buy the passes and book our trip, is that correct. Sorry if these seem like stupid questions....but once we have made our maiden voyage on AMTRAK, I'm positive the questions will stop.

you can trade your tickets in for the next day's train but you must pay any price differences. And traveling on the rail pass, that could cause a significant jump in price.
I wish that WASN'T the case. For example, earlier this year I was connecting from the Sunset Limited to the Coast Starlight. As always... I booked early and got a good rate on the #1 and #14 sleepers. When #1 was running late, the conductor said they were going to get us off in Ontario, CA and bus us to Bakersfield, CA and then we'd take the San Joquin to OKJ to connect with #14 there. I asked if I could just overnight in LAX at my own expense and catch the next day's #14 and he said I could do that -- but would have to pay the high rate for a sleeper on #14. I opted for the bus and regional train, but almost wish I didnt because the whole point of the trip was to spend time in the PPC on #14. I understand a lot of delays arent Amtrak's fault -- but if there is a delay and you are willing to overnight in a city at your own expense -- they should give you a similar rate for a sleeper on the next day's train. Just a common courtesy! In the end, I got a $250 gift certificate back -- which was more than the sleeper difference on the next day's #14!!! I dont get it!!!

I was just looking at the AMTRAK Status Maps web site, and it shows practically all the trains running late.....anything from somewhat late to EXTREMELY late. Is this common for AMTRAK at this time of the year (winter months), or is it quite common all year long??? I'm thinking like August of next year....what to expect on the Silver Meteor, the Capitol Limited and the Empire Builder.
Where does one find the Amtrak Status Map web site?

Here is that very handy website that has been talked about alot.

Notice the new server for this very useful website:

http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps/

Here is the BIG MAP for the WEST :

http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps/AmtrakStatusMapWest.htm

This is the BIG MAP for the EAST:

http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps/AmtrakStatusMapEast.htm

--- Daniel

Where does one find the Amtrak Status Map web site?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is mildly off topic, but it's pathetic that the train is so late that you have to be bussed. It should be the other way around, the bus is so late, they put you on the [faster] train :angry2:

Thats good information....so as soon as we are 180 days away from the start of our travel in August, we better buy the passes and book our trip, is that correct. Sorry if these seem like stupid questions....but once we have made our maiden voyage on AMTRAK, I'm positive the questions will stop.
I am still wondering if the above is the case....any help???

I also saw where the Empire was sooooo late they bus rode the people from MSP to Chicago. If that were to happen in August when we plan to travel back home from Minnesota to Florida, I believe I would cancel the return on the Empire and delay the trip for a day.....could I do that??? I really don't have any desire to ride a bus.
For what my opinion is worth
mda.gif
, I would take the bus the shorter distance to Chicago & not take a chance of being in coach for the overnight legs! I tried coach once overnight on the Star & I was absolutely miserable!!!!!!
mad.gif

Exactly. It used to be if there was a seat available, you got it. No more. Now there is a select amount of seats set aside for use with the rail passes.
This is unfortunate, but I suppose that's Amtrak's prerogative. Japan has wonderful unlimited use rail passes but they're useless for residents of Japan so I guess we still get a better deal than they do, depending on how you look at it. The part of the Amtrak pass I still don't understand is how you're supposed to just know which seats are available where and when you're interested in traveling. From what I understand you just have to keep calling over and over as you think up new or altered plans and that seems like adding insult to injury to me.

Exactly. It used to be if there was a seat available, you got it. No more. Now there is a select amount of seats set aside for use with the rail passes.
This is unfortunate, but I suppose that's Amtrak's prerogative. Japan has wonderful unlimited use rail passes but they're useless for residents of Japan so I guess we still get a better deal than they do, depending on how you look at it. The part of the Amtrak pass I still don't understand is how you're supposed to just know which seats are available where and when you're interested in traveling. From what I understand you just have to keep calling over and over as you think up new or altered plans and that seems like adding insult to injury to me.
Agreed, it's not a particularly wonderful system. I still think that they should return to the old, if there is a seat, it's your's method. But if they are going to limit things, it should be made much clearer in the terms of the pass and there should be some way to do test bookings online to see what's out there for the dates one is thinking of traveling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back