Amtrak Status Maps Missing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no. Everything's running on MY end. The maps are sent to the web hosting company, which is currently having some sort of problem. I've opened a ticket.

The Alerts are running, since they run on my server alone.

jb

1243 p.m. EDT 5/21/2013

ASM_UP.png

I'm getting this at the moment.

Not FoundThe requested URL / was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

has been working fine for me all day with Internet Explorer.

404 here... almost 7 pm Eastern.

Edit: With Chrome.

Second Edit: 7:45

Now all is good. I had tried earlier with what may be an old url bookmark for the Western map. I backed out of it and got to the main page and then could go to everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
9 PM Pacific and all I get is a 404 error using Firefox and (ugh) msie. Not complaining mind you, these maps are a wonderful service to the community.

Working for me at http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/

Try clearing the cache in your browser. If you had tried visiting the page when the server was temporarily down, your browser may be just loading the last (bad) attempt from your cache rather than trying anew.

While the status map looks like an interesting resource to have, more often than not, when I am scheduled for a train, I just get the train status on the Amtrak website. Why should a traveler need the entire system status map when he/she will typically use only one or two trains on a trip. While I am appreciative of the work that has gone into this resource; what am I missing here?

While the status map looks like an interesting resource to have, more often than not, when I am scheduled for a train, I just get the train status on the Amtrak website. Why should a traveler need the entire system status map when he/she will typically use only one or two trains on a trip. While I am appreciative of the work that has gone into this resource; what am I missing here?
Well, it's personal preference, to be sure. I myself call up Julie when I'm not near a computer (no smart phone). Having said that, there are currently three parts to the system, which provide the same information, in different ways:

1. The Maps - provide more information at a glance. It provides status about your train (late, on-time, overdue) and tells the overall health of the Amtrak system. If you see trains around you starting to be late, or having the dreaded "Service Disruption", it can alert you to possible impending trouble for you. If you click on your train, you'll be presented the entire performance record for that train.

2. Speaking of alerts, the Alert system provides email/text notifications of the progress of any train or group of trains - if you set it up in advance.

3. The Archives allow you to look up the trains' performance (individually), back to 2006, for certain trains.

jb

John has answered that question and has got me thinking.

I will be heading out of Chicago on the CL at a time when CSX is doing track work on the line. There is potential for bustitution if the train leaves Cleveland after 3:30 AM. With the archives I will be able to see if any recent CL's going East ran into this problem. Now I see its value. We owe our thanks to those that have created this resource.

Some people like to see the "big picture" about how all Amtrak trains are doing timewise. Amtrak Status Maps serves that purpose perfectly. And if I was some statistics about how a particular train number has been performing to get to a particular station, then http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/ does that trick perfectly for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back