Amtrak Station Status Boards (beta)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get it with Mozilla Firefox!!!
Works fine with me. Do you have any blockers like no script? Also, it takes about three to five seconds to get going. Doesn't start immediately. That's also assuming you put in the right station. I accidentally put our airport in for DC (DCA) instead of WAS and it stayed blank.
I know nothing about computers, how would I check?

Thanx
Well, if you don't, more than likely you don't have it. You would have needed to install it. Are you programs up to date? Click help in firefox (at the top), then click about. It should tell you there if it's up to date or not.

The "Solari Board" is cute, but do you think you could possibly provide an alternative version which looks like the modern display terminals? That would probably be easy to program. Some of us aren't really old enough to have Solari Board nostalgia. But we still want to gawk at the departure boards. :) This would allow for all the columns to be implemented and for the names to not be cut off.

Works fine with me. Do you have any blockers like no script? Also, it takes about three to five seconds to get going. Doesn't start immediately. That's also assuming you put in the right station. I accidentally put our airport in for DC (DCA) instead of WAS and it stayed blank.

Thanx
Well, if you don't, more than likely you don't have it. You would have needed to install it. Are you programs up to date? Click help in firefox (at the top), then click about. It should tell you there if it's up to date or not.
I can get it on Firefox but not on IE.

Thanx
Word of advice, don't use IE.

Thanx
Word of advice, don't use IE.
I get the board using IE and windows 7. I just have to scroll right to see the last column. Looks like the boards at PHL and NYP.

Well, I guess I don't have any friends. :(

J/k.

I'm happy with IE most of the time. I'm the type of "old lady" who can adjust to change, if need be, but doesn't go looking for change if what I'm using is ok. Maybe if/when I get a new laptop.

Well, I guess I don't have any friends. :(
J/k.

I'm happy with IE most of the time. I'm the type of "old lady" who can adjust to change, if need be, but doesn't go looking for change if what I'm using is ok. Maybe if/when I get a new laptop.
The difference between the two is that IE has a terrible reputation for security holes. Hence some of the recommendations.

I noticed that, when looking at my "home" station right now (SCD,) the westbound EB (#7) isn't showing up, even though its scheduled arrival is in about 30 minutes. However, the eastbound EB (#8) is showing up, but without the forecasted early/late times like I saw when looking at Chicago's board earlier today.
Is it just because of the way it's presented, am I loading it through some weird mechanism, or is it something else?

EDIT: Using Chrome Version 28.0.1500.95 m, Windows 7.
That was more fallout from the time conversion error that was discovered and fixed yesterday. 7 should now show up if you try to repeat your actions.

jb

The AM/PM bug is happening at NYP too, currently looking and train #198 (arrived at 12:10 this morning) is displayed like it is 12:10pm.
At this moment you app shows the Silver Star boarding but Departure Vision shows it left 10 minutes late.
The AM/PM bug will have worked itself out of the system by tomorrow. I hope.

BOARDING status is an extrapolation on my part. It occurs at two different times:

1. At an intermediate station when Amtrak shows the train as having arrived, but not departed.

2. At the origin station, from 5 minutes before the train is scheduled to depart, until Amtrak shows it departing.

If Amtrak takes a long time updating the train's times in its reservation system, it'll show as BOARDING until then - even though the train is actually long gone.

jb

The "Solari Board" is cute, but do you think you could possibly provide an alternative version which looks like the modern display terminals? That would probably be easy to program. Some of us aren't really old enough to have Solari Board nostalgia. But we still want to gawk at the departure boards. :) This would allow for all the columns to be implemented and for the names to not be cut off.
Possible. I'll include it in a future enhancement, if I can.

jb

Just noticed that for LAX, it shows the Sunset Limited #2 "Boarding" at 6:30 AM for a departure at 10PM tonight! #2 shows on the status map already also. It doesn't show the SWC #4 departure tonight though. Is there a AM/PM mixup in the time (or the "bug" mentioned above)? How early are departures supposed to appear on the status display and/or status map?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed that for LAX, it shows the Sunset Limited #2 "Boarding" at 6:30 AM for a departure at 10PM tonight! #2 shows on the status map already also. It doesn't show the SWC #4 departure tonight though. Is there a AM/PM mixup in the time (or the "bug" mentioned above)? How early are departures supposed to appear on the status display and/or status map?
Trains are supposed to show up exactly 5 minutes before their departure time from their origin. I'll have to look into the error that you saw.

jb

ps This is still repercussions of the AM/PM problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice program! I noticed, however, that the stations from DVL to SCD display 5H 52M delay. I noticed a few nights ago on the EB that originated in SEA/PDX on August 2 stopped reporting after HAV, which had a 5H 52M delay. 2 number 8 are reported at MSP, one with the 5H 52M delay as the ones mentioned above, and the one due in with the delay time from SCD. MOT is ok on the other side of DVL. HAV has no information.

Also, given what you mentioned about how you developed the program, do you include if there is something that severely disrupts the trip between two stations. An example would be it left MOT 50 min late and caught behind a stalled freight and is expected to have a 3 hour delay into RUG. Would the program continue with the 50 Min delay, or will it account for the new arrival time?

One other thing I forgot to mention. Would it be possible to add the 28 as well in case the 8 shows up as "service disruption", which it has done several times? Why 28 reports, but not 8 is beyond me. Also, in case of complete cancelations west of MSP, would it be possible to add 808/807 which would report? Just a few suggestions.

Very nice program! I noticed, however, that the stations from DVL to SCD display 5H 52M delay. I noticed a few nights ago on the EB that originated in SEA/PDX on August 2 stopped reporting after HAV, which had a 5H 52M delay. 2 number 8 are reported at MSP, one with the 5H 52M delay as the ones mentioned above, and the one due in with the delay time from SCD. MOT is ok on the other side of DVL. HAV has no information.
Also, given what you mentioned about how you developed the program, do you include if there is something that severely disrupts the trip between two stations. An example would be it left MOT 50 min late and caught behind a stalled freight and is expected to have a 3 hour delay into RUG. Would the program continue with the 50 Min delay, or will it account for the new arrival time?
I think (hope) that the problem that you mentioned for the EB was some beta problems. Please post something if you see it again.

The information for the station status boards comes from the Amtrak Status Maps. I don't post Amtrak's guesstimates. They seem too untrustworthy to me. So I only report what HAS happened. In your scenario, the latest known actual delay is what would be shown for the train - 50 Min delay. If Amtrak changes the status of the train to "Service Disruption", you'll see "DISRUPTION".

jb

If Amtrak changes the status of the train to "Service Disruption", you'll see "DISRUPTION".
On the original Solari boards (at least the ones in BAL and [i think] WAS) if a train was over 3 hours late, the board displayed "DELAYED" in yellow caution lettering. It would be a hoot to see that on your version!

This is a great feature to the status page .... Now, is there a way to mix Arrivals and Departures? Or do we only get arrivals.

This is a great feature to the status page .... Now, is there a way to mix Arrivals and Departures? Or do we only get arrivals.
You're seeing both, in the order of the scheduled departure time (arrival time if the train terminates there).

So if a train terminates at a station, that's an arrival time. Status will show "arrived".

If a train only has a departure time scheduled for the station, the status will show "departed".

If the train has both a scheduled arrival and departure time, the status will be "boarding" once it has arrived, and "departed" when it has left.

"Boarding" is also shown for a train's origin point from 5 minutes before the train is scheduled to depart, until it actually does.

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back