Amtrak Station Status Boards (beta)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this trying it in Safari 7.0.

ftput: can't change directory to/Amtrak/solari/stations

RC = 17. Couldn't put file

Location: http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/solari/stations.php?data=WAS
That's some fallout from me trying to get this set up on the other web host. Hopefully I'll get the errors to stop soon, or else I'll quit that until later.

jb

Working nicely in Android Browser and also Dolphin Browser... thanks.

Working for me now, but it seems to ignore AM/PM. Looking at WAS right now (11:16 am), Train 187 shows up as "Arrived" at 12:35 right between 176 and 2153. Thinking it odd that a regional would be "Arrived" hours early, I went to Amtrak's website and it says that 187 arrived at 12:35 - AM.

Working for me now, but it seems to ignore AM/PM. Looking at WAS right now (11:16 am), Train 187 shows up as "Arrived" at 12:35 right between 176 and 2153. Thinking it odd that a regional would be "Arrived" hours early, I went to Amtrak's website and it says that 187 arrived at 12:35 - AM.
Well that's kind of embarrassing. That time converter has been around for a hundred years. Just goes to show you never find all of the bugs. Good catch.

jb

That's a great use of web animation. It's really not a solari board for me unless there's the clicky-clack of the panels while they're changing, however. Could sound be added as an option?

That's a great use of web animation. It's really not a solari board for me unless there's the clicky-clack of the panels while they're changing, however. Could sound be added as an option?
I've asked the author of the solari board display code for sound to be added. Maybe he'll be gracious enough to do it someday.

jb

The data comes from the Amtrak reservations system.
Are you scraping what you see when you click the "status" button? If so, In the case of a train departing the originating station, do you know if it ever shows an expected late departure? Or always

The scheduled departure time is 5:55 pm. Presently, no further information is available. Please check back later for updated information.

Nice! One suggestion: "load" (start flipping) all the trains simultaneously or at least in batches of 2-3 to speed up population.

EDIT: EWR, YNY, and a few others don't work for me. All the others I've tried so far work.

EDIT 2: Keystone 654 scheduled departure from NWK is 19:54 EDT and the board says its running 1min late. Only problem: it's currently 20:53 EDT. There are other timing bugs (ALB still shows 448 as boarding)

Last edited by a moderator:
The data comes from the Amtrak reservations system.
Are you scraping what you see when you click the "status" button? If so, In the case of a train departing the originating station, do you know if it ever shows an expected late departure? Or always

The scheduled departure time is 5:55 pm. Presently, no further information is available. Please check back later for updated information.
Hi Paul. It's the same information as from the maps, but presented a different way. And, I always discard the Amtrak guesstimates and only present actual arrivals and departures. The one thing that is new is "BOARDING". It's an interpolation that I make either one of two ways:

1. The train has arrived at an intermediate station, but has not yet departed.

2. The train is scheduled at its origin and has not yet departed.

In case #2, the train may actually still be on the service track for all I know.

jb

Nice! One suggestion: "load" (start flipping) all the trains simultaneously or at least in batches of 2-3 to speed up population.
EDIT: EWR, YNY, and a few others don't work for me. All the others I've tried so far work.

EDIT 2: Keystone 654 scheduled departure from NWK is 19:54 EDT and the board says its running 1min late. Only problem: it's currently 20:53 EDT. There are other timing bugs (ALB still shows 448 as boarding)
The loading of each line is timed to be 4 seconds after the prior line. This was determined empirically. If too many lines are going at once everything slows way down and looks terrible. And it wouldn't be any faster because your computer is doing all the work - all at once - just slower. It just looks better if it's done one line at a time.

I tried EWR and it worked fine. It's much later now so I can't see the same conditions that you saw.

As with the maps, the information comes from Amtrak's reservation system. If the information is incorrect or is posted in an untimely way, it will distort the picture that the status boards present.

Thanks for posting.

jb

I like this a lot. Fun to just see times and will probably come in use for trips as well!

Now if they would just install a real one at the newly renovated King Street Station. It's beautiful but there is no arrival/departure board of any kind in it now. The tacky felt board was removed (and good riddance) but nothing in its place.

I noticed that, when looking at my "home" station right now (SCD,) the westbound EB (#7) isn't showing up, even though its scheduled arrival is in about 30 minutes. However, the eastbound EB (#8) is showing up, but without the forecasted early/late times like I saw when looking at Chicago's board earlier today.

Is it just because of the way it's presented, am I loading it through some weird mechanism, or is it something else?

EDIT: Using Chrome Version 28.0.1500.95 m, Windows 7.

The AM/PM bug is happening at NYP too, currently looking and train #198 (arrived at 12:10 this morning) is displayed like it is 12:10pm.

If only you also had someway of displaying track numbers, I an only wish!

I was just checking up on this and realized that NJT's departure vision lists Amtrak trains stopping (with tack assignments) at every stop in New Jersey, plus all New York-Penn Station departures going southbound down the Corridor including Amtrak's, of course the tracks appear at nearly the same time their announced to the general public. I'll have to do a comparison the next time I'm there to see which posts first!

For Newark (not NYP or Trenton Strangely) it even has a message for Amtrak trains that announce which end of the train has Buissiness Class/First Class and the Quiet Car

At this moment you app shows the Silver Star boarding but Departure Vision shows it left 10 minutes late.

Metro's-North's Train Time shows Amtrak train statuses at the 7 stops it shares with Amtrak in New York State and Connecticut.

Working fine with Dolphin Browser on Android.

Sound effects would be too cool.

I can get it with Mozilla Firefox!!!
Works fine with me. Do you have any blockers like no script? Also, it takes about three to five seconds to get going. Doesn't start immediately. That's also assuming you put in the right station. I accidentally put our airport in for DC (DCA) instead of WAS and it stayed blank.

I can get it with Mozilla Firefox!!!
Works fine with me. Do you have any blockers like no script? Also, it takes about three to five seconds to get going. Doesn't start immediately. That's also assuming you put in the right station. I accidentally put our airport in for DC (DCA) instead of WAS and it stayed blank.
I know nothing about computers, how would I check?

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back