Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
6164.1489598261.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/610031/

I recall a while ago a poster on here said that he confirmed with LOSSAN that the majority of the F59phi's on the Surfliner would be replaced by Chargers. We're now seeing Chargers coming out in California paint and not Surfliner paint. So, was that not true? Or will we also see Chargers in Surfliner paint?

I can barely read the black numbering on the blue paint! Surely that must run afoul of some rule...

Also interesting that they're Caltrans branded and not Amtrak California branded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video from yesterday by YouTube user MobileRailSpotterRxR showing Caltrans Charger CDTX 2105 in Sacramento being delivered.

This video was taken yesterday by YouTube user Caltrain927 in Oakland, California. Starting at the 6:53 mark, it shows a test run with CDTX 2101 on one end and CDTX 2103 on the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, does anyone know what the ditch light frequency is? To be clear, I don't mean the flickering when each light is on, I mean how often they alternate. And what is the bell repetition frequency? The OCD in me hates it that they aren't synchronized, but the physicist in me will help the OCD in me if he knows what the relationship is.

Video from yesterday by YouTube user MobileRailSpotterRxR of Cascades Chargers 1402 and 1403 after being picked up by Amtrak in Sacramento.

The NGEC web-page has been updated with the meeting minutes for 3/28/17. It states that 9 chargers where conditionally accepted on the 28th. They also seem to suggest progress on the various agreements between the states and Amtrak on the contracts related to their use.

And a question, what is the Wi-Tronix application that they are referring to?

Wi Tronix markets equipment that provides capabilities of remote monitoring of maintenance parameters of locomotives. Probably that. They also make event recorders, but that would be mandatory equipment not an optional install by the folks responsible for maintaining a fleet.

This video uploaded today by YouTube user ThePinkController shows 1402 and 1403 on a Coast Starlight (date and location not stated). There also happens to be a couple private cars on the end.

https://procurement.amtrak.com/irj/portal/anonymous?NavigationTarget=navurl://c14b70706495ce1dac9a981cc142f8cc

It looks like Amtrak wants to compare the option for the 150 LD version of the Charger with proposals from other manufacturers as they put out a request for information for 150 locomotives for long-distance service.
I think what will happen is Amtrak will see how reliable or unreliable these units are with the Illinois, Washington State, and Caltrans units. IF they have a good reliability rate then I can see them ordering the Chargers for LD service. A bonus is that they are capable of 125 mph. While the GE units are only good for 110. Which on the shoreline trains to Boston could make a difference should a diesel need to be added.

I think what will happen is Amtrak will see how reliable or unreliable these units are with the Illinois, Washington State, and Caltrans units. IF they have a good reliability rate then I can see them ordering the Chargers for LD service. A bonus is that they are capable of 125 mph. While the GE units are only good for 110. Which on the shoreline trains to Boston could make a difference should a diesel need to be added.
My question, although I am assuming the answer is not public knowledge, is how long can they wait before having to chose whether or not to exercise the option for the Chargers?

Certainly they would like to see how they perform in day to day operation first if possible. If they do work well, then it becomes a choice between something that has proven itself verses something else.

https://procurement.amtrak.com/irj/portal/anonymous?NavigationTarget=navurl://c14b70706495ce1dac9a981cc142f8cc

It looks like Amtrak wants to compare the option for the 150 LD version of the Charger with proposals from other manufacturers as they put out a request for information for 150 locomotives for long-distance service.
And hopefully cleaner. If they are cleaner, at least they won't be "diseasel" locomotives. Lol

And speaking of the P42's vs SC-44's, I wonder how fast one SC-44 can accelerate a certain number of cars to 125 MPH?

For those who are subscribers to Trains Magazine, there is a brief article about the Chargers. Deliveries are currently being held off as Amtrak and the States are in the process of Finalizing insurance deals. It's believed to be done by the end of spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back