Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WSDOT Charger unveiled:

17097228_1438870762832327_1303891601754753941_o.jpg
17190457_1438873469498723_6121027291531696475_n.jpg

WSDOT said:
...Our first two new locomotives just left the Siemens USA factory in Sacramento! The two new Amtrak Cascades locomotives are on their way to Colorado for 500 miles of burn-in on the test track...
They arent necessarily taking the same rails to get to get to the test track this time.

Why did they paint it with WSDOT rather than just Amtrak Cascades? They'll only be used on the Cascades anyway.

And as for the California ones, why were they painted in Caltrans rather then just the San Joaquin paint scheme?

Why did they paint it with WSDOT rather than just Amtrak Cascades? They'll only be used on the Cascades anyway.

And as for the California ones, why were they painted in Caltrans rather then just the San Joaquin paint scheme?
San Joaquin does not have a special paint scheme. Its all standard Amtrak CA colors and decals.

Looks like there is a large WSDOT logo and a somewhat smaller ODOT logo, in addition to the Cascades logo and paint scheme - Cascades are funded by OR and WA, so makes sense to me.

Heavy duty foam alert. Thanks to P71Railfan for this gem:

Thanks to you for bringing this video to our attention, and thanks to P71Railfan for a well put together clip.

I don't think of myself as a foamer at all, but I'm glad to get a good look at the new locomotive in this clip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight's Southwest Chief might be more like the Southwest Cascades with two VIPs along for a ride.

Here's a couple videos from Tuesday showing the Cascades Chargers going south on the Coast Starlight.

At Oceano, California by Coastline Railroad Videos:

Here's a video from Saturday by the Clear Signal Trains YouTube channel showing the two Chargers on the eastbound Southwest Chief.

Believe the 2 P-42 behind Chargers are pointed wrong way so they can lead Chargers to test center.
Close. But no cigar. The lead units are a back to back set. Meaning those units will take the chargers to TTCI and the elephant style units which at the time are 5 and 6 in the consist will take the train to Chi town. So all they'll have to do is chop off the two leaders and the chargers.

BNSF inspection train, there are three main lines there, so my guess is it was on the center track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back