Amtrak should be dismantled response.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides, I won't fly unless it's life or death so.... taking the train with me is far more attractive than the alternative back seat driver scenario. :p
I'm with you! Your "back seat driver scenario" brought to mind riding in the back of a U-Haul truck with a Polka Band!
Hey, that band was big in Sheboygan!!! :lol:

Event #3 also happened to me on the TE/SL. I had never heard of that problem before. Thankfully, myself and my cousin did not get nauseated. It didn't make us uncomfortable, but it wasn't pleasant.

Jater, did you call Amtrak? If so, what was their response? I called and received a voucher. Give it a try. It might make you feel more receptive about giving Amtrak another try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunch Reservations?

I don't recall the SWC using lunch reservations. It was first come/first serve when I was on that train last July. The CZ was also first come/first served for lunch in February.

Regardless though, I cannot recall making an LD train trip where, reservations or no they did not make an obvious "last and final call" for lunch for anyone desiring to eat who has not. I certainly have never experienced a trip where anyone in the sleeping car was refused meal service.........

Well, except for the one guy who was rude and obnoxious but he wound up leaving the train in handcuffs before the last call for dinner because he was caught smoking pot in his room.

I suppose that guy would, by now, be an ex-convict just waiting for his next opportunity to join the freakishly uneducated for another Amtrak ride.

I'll add that I have, on each of my previous three LD trips, seen a first class passenger choose not to eat because he (and in each case it was a he) did not want to sit where the LSA in the diner directed him to sit. In one case the diner refusal was very upset that the dining car staff would not seat him and serve him at a table by himself.

I'm wondering if there is not more to the OP's story about being refused meal service in the diner.

We've always had to make lunch reservations on the SWC, but we also travel during high-capacity periods (summer, Thanksgiving, and Christmas). I don't think we've ever been on the SWC when it isn't sold-out, so that might be why they've always taken reservations. Even breakfast ends up with a wait-list that gets called over the PA (suuuuuuper fun when you're trying to sleep). ;)

Didn't Amtrak use to speed to make up time back when they used E-units, SDP40Fs, F40s, and P30CHs?
True, but this is way in the past, in the early years of Amtrak when the crews were for the most part from the railroads. They were still operating in a culture where attempting to be on time made a certain amount of speeding tolerable. For quite a few years now any form of speeding results is serious trouble for the engineer. As to jater's 100 mph plus claim, that is where his credibility disappears, unless that is he was on the NEC.

Ispoken:
Here's the thing: if you don't think that jater's opinion isn't a common one among first-time Amtrak riders, you're naive. I hear it all the time on Amtrak, from people, usually couples, usually past 50, who aren't railfans and couldn't tell a F40PH from a garden hose. What they know is that they paid a great deal of money (they are, perhaps, the ones buying those high-bucket sleeper spaces), and they get poor accommodations and crappy service. They are one and done and you won't see them touch Amtrak again with a barge-pole. Sure, airports are unpleasant and on airplanes you get just as poor service, but it's quicker and then you are at your destination.
There are people that are professional complainers. These characters found like some of these. Not so sure that this is common, just that the noisy one drown out the satisfied. A lot of these whiner have probably complained about everything they have experience their entire lives.

I think the OP majored in chain-pulling. While a couple of his or her complaints are plausible, I think DP hit it on the head. If not, he or she needs some anger management sessions. Such a tirade, and then poof, gone again.

I is pretty porely edumacated. I only has a bachelers digree. But imma airplane injuneer and so youse better think about dat next time u get on an aeroplane.

(thats why i take da train)

Upon further reflection and because this post bugs me big time, I think there is a very, very telling sentence in the OP.

Doesn't take a whole lot of reading between the lines to get the gist of it either, imo.

I still stand my everything that I stated, the environment on the train is no better than walking through the worst city block you can imagine.

Based on the elitist tone, type of complaints, and insults lobbed in the OP, this is my take on the complainant.

This is someone who didn't realize that paying for sleeping accommodations didn't guarantee that everyone was going to be of their same color/nationality or share their perceived socioeconomic status.

A status that they believe not only entitles them to be treated better than others but that they are better.

I'm still trying to figure out why the original thread got locked. Am I the only one getting tired of threads getting locked so much?

The mod told jater to PM him and he would unlock the thread. Apparently jater just decided to start a new thread instead.

I realize that Amtrak Blue, but there was no reasonable reason to lock the original thread, and there are now 2 threads locked for no reason except they are about toilets.

Said mod. Will probably ban me for speaking against his actions.

I am very happy the op came back with more information....

I am getting very frustrated by locked threads, too. Unless there is a violation of the rules posted, I don't care if the thread is about potties, or started by a troll, or resurrected from 15 years ago. THREADS SHOULDN'T BE JUST ARBITRARILY LOCKED. The ONLY two reasons why a thread should be locked is because A) It violates the rules of the forum and is beginning to create HIGH tension and anxiety (ie: Politics, Religion, Sex), or B) There is another thread that was already started on the same topic and it's within the first 2 pages, in which case lock it if it's one post, merge it if there is dicussion.

I am getting very frustrated by locked threads, too. Unless there is a violation of the rules posted, I don't care if the thread is about potties, or started by a troll, or resurrected from 15 years ago. THREADS SHOULDN'T BE JUST ARBITRARILY LOCKED. The ONLY two reasons why a thread should be locked is because A) It violates the rules of the forum and is beginning to create HIGH tension and anxiety (ie: Politics, Religion, Sex), or B) There is another thread that was already started on the same topic and it's within the first 2 pages, in which case lock it if it's one post, merge it if there is dicussion.
I agree. But i wouldn't be too harsh on the moderators. We have a lot more freedom on this forum than we have on many other forums I participate in. For example this is the only forum that I use that allows guest postings, and we even tolerate some very trollish guests. I'm also not aware of any posting getting deleted. Even preposterous and borderline insults are allowed to stand. I applaud that . With great power comes great responsibility. If you treat people like kindergarten kids they will end up acting like them. If you treat them like adults, they will hopefully also act like them. The mods are therefore doing a great job. I don't know why these threads got locked, but will respect the mods decision, especially in view of the bigger picture of tolerance and freedom they have given to us.

I agree. But i wouldn't be too harsh on the moderators. We have a lot more freedom on this forum than we have on many other forums I participate in. For example this is the only forum that I use that allows guest postings, and we even tolerate some very trollish guests. I'm also not aware of any posting getting deleted. Even preposterous and borderline insults are allowed to stand. I applaud that . With great power comes great responsibility. If you treat people like kindergarten kids they will end up acting like them. If you treat them like adults, they will hopefully also act like them. The mods are therefore doing a great job. I don't know why these threads got locked, but will respect the mods decision, especially in view of the bigger picture of tolerance and freedom they have given to us.
The lockings are precisely AGAINST tolerance and freedom.

The lockings are precisely AGAINST tolerance and freedom.
Personally, I like the way the moderators run this forum. I find them to be MORE aggressive than many of the other forums I frequent, and that's a GOOD thing! Many forums are just wretched hives of scum and villainy, where every behavior is allowed. When moderators of those sites do bother to act, they just "delete and ban", with no explanation. Here, most threads are locked rather than deleted, so you can at least see what happened. And when they do take action, mods explain themselves more often than not, which NEVER happens on other sites that I've experienced.

The only thing I disagree with is guest postings. I understand why they allow guest postings - it undoubtedly brings in more traffic. However, I still think that the negatives outweigh the positives - registering is free, requires very little time, and would clear up a lot of confusion about what this board is and what you can expect here. But that's just my opinion.

Responding to the missed lunch reservation scenario... Jater is my brother (we just got back from a long trip and back to reality, so I am assuming that is why he hasn't responded).

We were in roomette 14, and the announcement DID come over the speaker that they would start in sleepers, then to coach, return to your seats/sleepers etc. So we did, opened door/curtain and waited. This happened very shortly before going into ALQ for the long stop. People de-trained, and then when we got back on the train we talked to rooms 11, 12, 13 and asked if they had gotten reservations. They said no, so we all brought it up to our attendant and he went to the dining room for all of us. He came back with 2 reservations for 2 people and advised that the dining car was booked. So that left rooms with no reservations. We let the couples in 11 and 12 take the reservations. We got lunch in our sleeper. I just wanted to follow up that it was not understanding how to do the lunch reservations, but rather we were all indeed skipped before moving on to the coach cars and the dining car filled to capacity at all times for that lunch.

Responding to the missed lunch reservation scenario... Jater is my brother (we just got back from a long trip and back to reality, so I am assuming that is why he hasn't responded).
We were in roomette 14, and the announcement DID come over the speaker that they would start in sleepers, then to coach, return to your seats/sleepers etc. So we did, opened door/curtain and waited. This happened very shortly before going into ALQ for the long stop. People de-trained, and then when we got back on the train we talked to rooms 11, 12, 13 and asked if they had gotten reservations. They said no, so we all brought it up to our attendant and he went to the dining room for all of us. He came back with 2 reservations for 2 people and advised that the dining car was booked. So that left rooms with no reservations. We let the couples in 11 and 12 take the reservations. We got lunch in our sleeper. I just wanted to follow up that it was not understanding how to do the lunch reservations, but rather we were all indeed skipped before moving on to the coach cars and the dining car filled to capacity at all times for that lunch.
Whew! That's good that you did get lunch, at least!

Plus you had the added bonus of not having to eat with the convicts in the diner car!

Train speed was a factor, the train was late so amtrak proceeded to break speed limits to catch up time (clocked at over 100 mph).
Well this so-called "freakishly uneducated" person is going to educate you. The problem is with your GPS!

In addition to the other reasons provided by many of the educated people here as to why the train wouldn't violate the speed limits; the simple reality is that the train cannot violate the speed limits. At least not for very long and not 10 MPH over the posted speed limit.

The engine's computers are pre-programmed with the maximum authorized speed for that route, in this case 90 MPH. In most cases, 79 MPH. Because the engineer, just like a driver cannot maintain a steady 55 MPH, the computer gives the engineer a leeway of 3 to 4 MPH over the speed limit for a minute or two at most. If the engineer remains above that speed limit for longer, or if he/she tries to go above that 3 to 4 MPH leeway, the computer will immediately apply the train's emergency brakes and bring it to an immediate halt.

At that point, the engineer would have to explain why the train stopped, and he/she would be relived immediately from duty.

Since that didn't happen, clearly the problem lies with either your reading the GPS or the GPS itself. And GPS isn't 100% accurate in the first place. Angle to the satellites, how many satellites, and other factors influence the speed readings of a GPS. And I'm sorry, but I do have to wonder if a bit of exaggeration is in play on your part too.

But regardless, this educated person can guarantee you that your train never hit 100 MPH!

Train speed was a factor, the train was late so amtrak proceeded to break speed limits to catch up time (clocked at over 100 mph).
Well this so-called "freakishly uneducated" person is going to educate you. The problem is with your GPS!

In addition to the other reasons provided by many of the educated people here as to why the train wouldn't violate the speed limits; the simple reality is that the train cannot violate the speed limits. At least not for very long and not 10 MPH over the posted speed limit.

The engine's computers are pre-programmed with the maximum authorized speed for that route, in this case 90 MPH. In most cases, 79 MPH. Because the engineer, just like a driver cannot maintain a steady 55 MPH, the computer gives the engineer a leeway of 3 to 4 MPH over the speed limit for a minute or two at most. If the engineer remains above that speed limit for longer, or if he/she tries to go above that 3 to 4 MPH leeway, the computer will immediately apply the train's emergency brakes and bring it to an immediate halt.

At that point, the engineer would have to explain why the train stopped, and he/she would be relived immediately from duty.

Since that didn't happen, clearly the problem lies with either your reading the GPS or the GPS itself. And GPS isn't 100% accurate in the first place. Angle to the satellites, how many satellites, and other factors influence the speed readings of a GPS. And I'm sorry, but I do have to wonder if a bit of exaggeration is in play on your part too.

But regardless, this educated person can guarantee you that your train never hit 100 MPH!
Now that you posted this I will tell you that we smelled burning and "brakes". Two people stuck their heads out and asked what was going on as we had then stopped in the middle of the tracks. The announcement that came over the loud speaker is that they were waiting for "a favorable signal to continue".

Have no idea if it is related, but interesting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back