Amtrak should be dismantled response.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my long awaited response to everyone that thought I was a troll. Moderators please shut this thread down after my post so it will not induce panic in your freakishly uneducated group.

I still stand my everything that I stated, the environment on the train is no better than walking through the worst city block you can imagine. Examples for my negative post are as follows.

Event 1. Eating with convicts in the diner car that not only were allowed on the train after they were just released, but they could not even write their name or read the menu!! (Safety & Uneducated)

Event 2. Passenger in observation cars taking random pictures of nothing after descending from Raton pass where he took no pictures at all. Passenger then tucks a few bags randomly and leaves them unattended and never returns. (Safety)

Event 3. Sewage gas leaking in to my roomette causing nausea and making the trip unbearable.

Event 4. Rough tracks causing drinks to spill, hitting head arms and extremities against the walls and ceiling of roomette. Train speed was a factor, the train was late so amtrak proceeded to break speed limits to catch up time (clocked at over 100 mph).

Event 5. Return trip I have no air in my roomette at all, currently was told that I have to grin and bear it. I did not spend the money to grin and bear it.

Event 6. Train is over capacity and multiple sleepers have been refused lunch reservation because they filled them with "coach" passengers.

I can go on and on about the horrendous trip has went and how I have talked to other passengers that have told me even worse stories. This is a sinking ship that need's to be sunk, and fund diverted to more important entities like education reform,closing our borders, and many many many other options that lead to a more productive country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Event 2 is the worst part of this terrible, terrible tale. That passenger must have been a foreigner, and as you say, the first priority is to close the borders using the money saved by dismantling Amtrak. Yep, that'll do it.

PS Seriously, there are certainly problems with Amtrak, but you sound like a complainer with no filter to tell you what is worth or not worth complaining about, what is and is not Amtrak's fault. I think your problem isn't Amtrak but something else entirely.

I have a bachelors degree in English and Psychology, and I've taken multiple train trips. (Uneducated)

Convicts that have been released deserve to ride a train, just like any other free citizen. They have served their time. (Safety)

Anyone can take pictures of anything at any time. Just because it isn't interesting to you doesn't mean it isn't interesting to others. The first time I went to New Mexico, I took pictures of the expansive skies and plains because you don't get views like that in Michigan. (Uneducated)

The gentleman who left bags in random spots should have been reported to a conductor, not us. (Safety)

The sewer gas smell was reported by another passenger on this trip. It should have been reported so the car could be bad-ordered and repaired. Additionally, you can complain to Amtrak and receive a voucher for future travel. Believe me when I say this is a rare occurrence, and they are quick to apologize if you are polite about it. If you talk to the customer service agent the way you talk to us, I wouldn't expect much.

Amtrak does not own the tracks. It is not up to them to maintain them. Most people know to hold onto their drink when the train is swaying.

How do you know the speed limit? There are sections where the SWC will clock over 90 mph, usually through Kansas. (That's where the roughest track is, by the way.)

The lunch reservations should not have been given to coach passengers before sleepers. Did you miss the LSA the first time they came through? If not, then this should have been reported as well.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I was sympathetic until you called us freakishly uneducated. I suggest you call Amtrak, speak to them politely so they can address your concerns (it's not the customer service agent's fault you had a bad trip), and ask for a voucher.

I have talked to other passengers that have told me even worse stories.
Have you read this forum for very long? There are lots of passengers who have had great experiences, myself included.

You need to take a class in statistics, the scientific method, and correlation/causation.

(Uneducated)

Happily we are still Allowed to have our Own Opinions in this Country but my Opinion is that this is a Crock of Methane Producing Substance! :blink: You know how those Damn Foreigners are, taking Pictures of trains and Looking to Live "La Dolce Vida" on the Taxpayers Dime! My Questions are have you called Amtrak Customer Relations? and could you provide some Specifics, Not just Generalities? Bet you're a Clint Eastwood Fan! ;)

Good to see this person is still going strong. I am sure with this amount of passion, he/she will be able to dismantle Amtrak and save the country from doom.

JATER FOR PRESIDENT - 2016

Jater- were you on the Southwest Chief that left Los Angeles on May 6? I boarded at Williams Jct. AZ early on the 7th to Chicago. Review of my trip is in Traveligues. It was not perfect, but on my opinion a pretty good trip.

Actually, the 90 mph running is between Kansas City and Fort Madison, Ia. A gps being used to track a train in this section could glitch and momentarily show a higher speed limit. There are event recorders in the engines, and an engineer exceeding the speed limit on a consistent basis would be removed from service. As far as speeding on the rough tracks in Kansas, IIRC, the speed limit was reduced to 60 mph on some of these tracks. The ride is rough, but it is not unsafe to operate a train over these tracks as long as the authorized speed limits are observed.

I think the op has a legitimate complaint about the sewage smell in the sleeping cars. That would be unacceptable to me too. The OP also commented about the AC. As a train fan, I am more forgiving of this, for the general public, this is just not acceptable. I would be pissed if I was staying in a Marriott or Hilton that did not have a properly air-conditioned room. These too issues are enough of a legitimate concern for a first time rider. Advocating for Amtrak to be dismantled though is a bit over the top. Even with these issues, it is still a vital link for travel on this route.

Not getting lunch that he is entitled to is simply not acceptable. The OP may not have understood the dining car crews instructions as to when lunch would be served, but this should not result in him not getting lunch if he really wants to get lunch.

Not sure I would enjoy eating a meal with an ex-convict who cant read, but I would be open minded as long as the person was not drunk or disruptive. They have rights too.

Events 3, 4, & 5 sound like legitimate complaints to me. The sewage smell is absolutely a real problem. As for the movement of the train I don't get tossed about myself because I've become familiar with how the train typically bumps around, but I've seen my family and friends stumble and bump against various parts of the train because they weren't expecting the cars to move as much and as quickly as they did. The lack of air conditioning is also a real problem that needs an actual solution. As for the rest, get over yourself already.

Er, Travelogues. Don't want to seem uneducated.
You can edit your original post, you know. Just move your cursor to the left of "multiquote".

You might also want to edit your massive essay listing interests, which causes each of your posts to take up half a screen even if it's only one word.

Excellent post as usual, Sorcha. You stated things very well.

Although I AM a Clint Eastwood fan :) and enjoy traveling on Amtrak, I am not uneducated. To make such a blanket statement was rather insulting, don't you think? I have four college degrees, graduating summa cum laude, with two of them being graduate degrees (M. Ed., Ed. S.). I might add that those were earned while teaching full time and taking care of three school-age children.

As Sorcha suggested, the few legitimate complaints you have with Amtrak should be taken up (again, politely) with customer relations. I expect you will receive a voucher.

The unattended bags should have been immediately brought to an Amtrak employee's attention. How is that a negative aspect of Amtrak?

Perhaps your next trip, no matter the mode of transportation, will be much more pleasant.

Oh, and thank you for your response.

Er, Travelogues. Don't want to seem uneducated.
You can edit your original post, you know. Just move your cursor to the left of "multiquote".

You might also want to edit your massive essay listing interests, which causes each of your posts to take up half a screen even if it's only one word.
Hold on there! I hadn't quite finished reading. Also, wouldn't a released convict be an ex-convict?

Re one of Steve's comments:

The worst experience we ever had on Amtrak was when the A/C went out between ATL and NOL, in July. It became extremely hot in the H room, but the attendant moved us to a bedroom as soon as she could. (We were very polite with her, btw.) After our trip, we called customer relations to compliment the attendant for the way she handled the problem, and to let them know that it becomes unbearably hot when there is no working A/C. Although we told them we neither expected nor wanted any compensation, we received a voucher for part of our fare. I'd say Amtrak handled the situation very well. And that was our worst experience. We've traveled on Amtrak many times.

Well, I just tried to edit my first post, and I must've hit some hot key because the whole thing disappeared. (No computer science degree, LOL.)

I was going to add, it's obvious many of the posters on this forum enjoy Amtrak and must also be well educated. They hold many types of, and upper level, positions in the workforce. (I felt my post may have come across as tooting my own horn about the four degrees. That "freakishly uneducated" remark was offensive!)

Anyway, I basically said Sorcha stated things well. (And I still like Clint! :) )

Mods: If you can restore my first post, please do. Thanks-

I think the op has a legitimate complaint about the sewage smell in the sleeping cars. That would be unacceptable to me too. The OP also commented about the AC. As a train fan, I am more forgiving of this, for the general public, this is just not acceptable. I would be pissed if I was staying in a Marriott or Hilton that did not have a properly air-conditioned room. These too issues are enough of a legitimate concern for a first time rider. Advocating for Amtrak to be dismantled though is a bit over the top. Even with these issues, it is still a vital link for travel on this route.
Not getting lunch that he is entitled to is simply not acceptable. The OP may not have understood the dining car crews instructions as to when lunch would be served, but this should not result in him not getting lunch if he really wants to get lunch.
Agreed on both counts. :) That's why I looked for clarification about the reservations (i.e. maybe he missed the LSA, got skipped, might have been in the lounge while they took reservations, etc). Regardless, something should have been done about getting him some food or some kind of credit.

I still think he should call Amtrak to discuss the issue with the A/C and sewage smell. While it's a horrible experience that can't always be fixed en route, the least Amtrak can do is try to make up for it somehow. I just hope he takes his tone down a notch when calling, that's all. I get tirades on the phone all day, and my desire to help is directly proportional to the way I'm treated. ^_^

Not everyone on the board thinks Amtrak is perfect. I would bet most people with some common sense can point out some of the downsides and limitations with Amtrak. There is nothing perfect in the world and everything has its pros and cons. We like traveling by train and that is what this group is about.

Event #6 ..... lunch reservations?

Maybe I'm totally wrong but I have never heard of lunch reservations on any of the trains I've traveled, including the SWC.

They announce repeatedly that breakfast and lunch are first come, first served no matter what part of the train you're sitting in.

The only reservations for Sleeper pax are for dinner and, if you happen to be on a train that has it, the wine & cheese tasting.

Amtrak is not like the trains you see in movies or on those James Bond Heineken commercials.

Convicts? Not one but multiple convicts? Seriously? You know this how?

I mean, did they hop on straight from the prison or were they taking a break from working on one of those chain gangs along the route that keep the tracks in tip top shape?

You're on a train, you're not special or better because of your accommodations or how much you paid for them or anything else for that matter.

As Devil's Advocate said... 'get over yourself already'.

Enjoy your next flight, hope you're able to make sure that every passenger passes muster before they're seated next to you.

The convicts sometimes mention they just got out of jail. Also, I suspect they might be easily identifiable by their clothing, and or behavior. Even the best intentioned ones will possibly overwhelmed by the newness of getting out.

Event #6 ..... lunch reservations?Maybe I'm totally wrong but I have never heard of lunch reservations on any of the trains I've traveled, including the SWC.

They announce repeatedly that breakfast and lunch are first come, first served no matter what part of the train you're sitting in.

The only reservations for Sleeper pax are for dinner and, if you happen to be on a train that has it, the wine & cheese tasting.
Many trains I've been on do have open seating for lunch, but based on the train's load, I've been on many that do take reservations for lunch also. Dinner is always by reservation. Breakfast is always first come/first served. Lunch could be either way.

Event #6 ..... lunch reservations?Maybe I'm totally wrong but I have never heard of lunch reservations on any of the trains I've traveled, including the SWC.

Many trains I've been on do have open seating for lunch, but based on the train's load, I've been on many that do take reservations for lunch also. Dinner is always by reservation. Breakfast is always first come/first served. Lunch could be either way.
The Silvers take lunch reservations most of the time.

Event 1. Eating with convicts in the diner car that not only were allowed on the train after they were just released, but they could not even write their name or read the menu!! (Safety & Uneducated)
:rolleyes: How do you no they were released convicts? How does that generalize ALL Amtrak passengers as uneducated? And Amtrak can't discriminate against uneducated people.

Event 2. Passenger in observation cars taking random pictures of nothing after descending from Raton pass where he took no pictures at all. Passenger then tucks a few bags randomly and leaves them unattended and never returns. (Safety)
Different people have different interests. A lot of people find photographing trains weird, but the people who do it aren't terrorist. Why didn't you report the unattended bags? That can be a safety concern anywhere (look at Boston, unfortunately). Or perhaps he went to the bathroom, and (stupidly) left his bags unattended?

Event 3. Sewage gas leaking in to my roomette causing nausea and making the trip unbearable.
Legitimate complaint.

Event 4. Rough tracks causing drinks to spill, hitting head arms and extremities against the walls and ceiling of roomette. Train speed was a factor, the train was late so amtrak proceeded to break speed limits to catch up time (clocked at over 100 mph).
Tracks can be rough, but Amtrak doesn't own the tracks. As others have mentioned, how do you know the speed limit? Amtrak would NEVER allow an engineer to speed to make up time. The FRA would come down harder on them, then the IRS on a tax cheat.

Event 5. Return trip I have no air in my roomette at all, currently was told that I have to grin and bear it. I did not spend the money to grin and bear it.
Event 6. Train is over capacity and multiple sleepers have been refused lunch reservation because they filled them with "coach" passengers.
Legitimate complaints. But I hardly doubt the train was overcapacity. Perhaps it wasn't prepared for all the people wanting lunch.

I think that complaints 3, 5 & 6 are valid. I try to avoid roomette #2 after an unfortunate day between West Glacier and Minot, where the smell was quite strong. I've never had the air conditioning give out, but that also wouldn't make me happy.

I personally can stand to miss a meal or two, but it would irritate me no end if I couldn't get the lunch I had paid for with my ticket, just because I hadn't heard about making a reservation. Why the dining car crew couldn't squeeze in a few more sleeper passengers, I don't understand.

I even think jater is reasonable to dislike rough track, though 1) it's not Amtrak's fault and 2) if you think that track is bad, you should have been on the Empire Builder in the early 80s. That doesn't matter, of course. It was his (or her) trip that was uncomfortable, and it doesn't matter that my trips back then were worse.

I can't agree with his complaints about fellow passengers. I reserve my complaints for people's actions, not their situations, and God help me if people noticed what I take pictures of in the Sightseer Lounge.

On the other hand, notice what jater doesn't complain about. He doesn't mention the tiny size of a roomette. He doesn't mention how poorly Amtrak toilets flush solid waste. When he complains about Amtrak services, he's complaining about things that Amtrak should have gotten right and apparently didn't.

Here's the thing: if you don't think that jater's opinion isn't a common one among first-time Amtrak riders, you're naive. I hear it all the time on Amtrak, from people, usually couples, usually past 50, who aren't railfans and couldn't tell a F40PH from a garden hose. What they know is that they paid a great deal of money (they are, perhaps, the ones buying those high-bucket sleeper spaces), and they get poor accommodations and crappy service. They are one and done and you won't see them touch Amtrak again with a barge-pole. Sure, airports are unpleasant and on airplanes you get just as poor service, but it's quicker and then you are at your destination.

I like traveling by train, and I have low expectations of service, so I'm generally happy with what Amtrak gives me. I also (and this is key) almost always travel using AGR points. If I were paying high-bucket and did not know the range of travel experience possible on Amtrak, I'd probably be as pissed as jater at a lousy trip.

Speaking of sleeper prices, a family bedroom from St. Paul to Seattle leaving tonight tonight is only $352. That's an amazingly good price, given that roomettes are $486.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back