Amtrak Route Mileage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthony used to have the mike tracking app on this site, but since that is no more, how would one go about finding route mileage?
I've calculated my personal Amtrak mileage using the timetables for route mileage. Fortunately, all of my lifetime trips save one have been on trains that are still running (and the one discontinued train I fortunately have an old timetable for), so I can easily look up the data on my own using the timetables currently available at amtrak.com or in my personal collection. For instance, for my frequent PHL-LYH Crescent trips, the timetable tells me Philadelphia is at mile 91 and Lynchburg is at mile 398, so I can calculate the trip to be 307 miles. I keep a spreadsheet with each trip recorded on a row giving date, segment number (if the train was part of a multi-segment trip, or for recording the outbound and return halves of simple round-trips), train name/number, origin/destination, mileage, and notes. Example lines in my spreadsheet look like

Code:
10 June 2008, 1, Cascades 513, SEA, PDX,  187
10 June 2008, 2, EB,		   PDX, CHI, 2257, floods in Iowa, detour! fix mileage...
12 June 2008, 3, LSL,		  CHI, NYP,  959, reroute from CL reservation
13 June 2008, 4, NEC Reg 187,  NYP, PHL,   91
And then I have the spreadsheet calculate a sum of the miles.

(I don't always bother with exact train numbers for things like Regionals, but I'll make a separate comment if it was an Acela.)

Unfortunately, as you'll note in this example, sometimes I don't have the exact mileages. In this case, I have no clue what the detour's mileage was, so I'm just listing the normal PDX-CHI mileage as given in the timetable. Someday I'll try to plot this trip out to get the correct mileage traveled.... I'm pretty sure it's the only off-the-beaten-path trip I've taken.

Likewise, for my spreadsheet of foreign travel I've approximated the mileages using highway miles between the city pairs because I haven't found rail mileage references. When I eventually come across such, I'll fill in more accurate numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now you can use the PDF timetables on the website or the system timetable to find millage.

Or On-Track-On-Line has a millage section of the forum that keeps track for you thanks to a member (PR60)

You can find that here HERE

I used the timetable. In the case of the Desert Wind and Broadway Ltd, which no long run, someone on this forum looked it up for me.
And, I have the ability to check old TTs if you need that done (within reason). I've done it for several members and would be glad to help as needed. PM me.

So, do people include bustitutions in the Amtrak mileage numbers? I am not talking AGR here, just all those mileage numbers people put with their signatures.

I only include Amtrak mileage, not bus mileage. Also, like wayman, I track it using a spreadsheet. I don't always update it right away, though, so my signature may be a couple of trips behind in my total mileage.

In the event that a train has to back up, I don't include that mileage (that would be a bit tedious). I've had to do a couple of estimates in mileage. One was when the CZ detoured via Wyoming. Someone (possibly on this forum) looked up the mileage of the detour, which I then added to the existing route mileage. Also, last fall the Capitol Limited I was on was terminated in Indiana due to flooding in Chicago. For that, not having any actual railroad data, I actually traced the rail line from the point where we got off up to Hammond-Whiting, and calculated the actual mileage that way.

Everything else is straight out of the Amtrak timetable. If there's a bus replacing a train, the mileage doesn't count.

I ran into last summer having the SWC stopped at Kansas City and we were on a bus from there to Chicago. I think, though, I will keep mine purely rail miles.

On the way back from Chicago to Lamy, the SWC was rerouted Chicago-St Louis-Kansas City. Fortunatly, Amtrak has other trains that travel that line so I was able to get mileage from them.

Thanks for the input.

By the way, mine stands at 12,870. Not bad for someone who lives nowhere near Amtrak! I also included mileage from my Southern Crescent trips when I was a kid, since they were in an Amtrak through sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, mine stands at 12,870. Not bad for someone who lives nowhere near Amtrak! I also included mileage from my Southern Crescent trips when I was a kid, since they were in an Amtrak through sleeper.
Aloha

But you do live closer to Amtrak than I.

You can find all the Mileage figures for the current routes on the individual route schedules on the website - EXCEPT for the NEC! :angry: For those mileage figures, you have to go to the national TT!

You can find all the Mileage figures for the current routes on the individual route schedules on the website - EXCEPT for the NEC! :angry: For those mileage figures, you have to go to the national TT!
Hi. I used Google Earth and the "ruler" tool to measure distances between

stations. My numbers are probably pretty good, since the grand total

(233 mi.) agrees with the published total distance.

Cheers,

Skip

Southbound

Boston S. Sta. 0

Back Bay MA 1 1

Rte 128 MA 10 11

ProvidenceI 32 43

Kingston 26 69

Westerly RI 17 86

Mystic CT 9 95

New London 13 108

Old Saybrook18 126