Amtrak Reward travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you live in the Midwest, check this out. Chicago is in the middle zone. Thus if you travel to the east coast, it is a 2 zone reward. If you travel to the west coast, it is also a two zone reward.

Thus, the best use of reward points for me (I live in Chicago) is to get a one way ticket on Southwest airlines, (They are usually 99 dollars if you plan ahead) to the west coast and then I could ride back to Chicago on the Chief, Zephyr, Empire Builder, or Sunset Limited/Texas Eaggle. The last combination between LA and Chicago calls for 3 nights on the train. Thus, I would probably use my 20,000 points for a roomette on that route. I don't know when I will do that, but with the schedule change, that would be an intersting trip. Plus, I was bussed from San Antonio to Dallas the last time I did this ride. With the new schedule, I would probably have no problem with this connection.

So . . . lwhen I get some money, I will do it. LOL.

Just curious. When was the last time you rode this train (when you were bussed SAS-DAL)?

That happened to me last May, and normally the procedure was to bus from El Paso to Ft. Worth.

Just wondering if there's an off chance it may have been the same train (probably not, but you never know).

rmadisonwi said:
Just curious. When was the last time you rode this train (when you were bussed SAS-DAL)?
That happened to me last May, and normally the procedure was to bus from El Paso to Ft. Worth.

Just wondering if there's an off chance it may have been the same train (probably not, but you never know).
No, we were not on the same train. I did this route about 3 years ago.

Back