Amtrak releases iPhone app

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is ABOUT TIME! This will make booking so much more enjoyable. Now, how about making sleepers bookable via the mobile site and app?
I don't think booking sleepers over the app will be a possibility. You can't do it on the mobile site. Why would they allow you to do it on the app? I haven't tried it or even put it on my iPod yet. (Waiting on the iPhone 5) can one upgrade to BC or FC?
The app does allow one to book sleeping accommodations.
Screen shot:

6031484606_24935e4702.jpg
Thanks for posting!

I think PRR60 is correct. I do have my NARP discount information filled in under my profile, but I'm still not provided with the option on the iPhone to use it. Until they add this feature, I'm not going to be able to use the app to book reservations either, sadly. Otherwise they did a nice job.
Thank you!

I'll sit and wait for an apology from that smart-a** kid over the "old fogie" comment.
I will apologize for the "old fogie" remark, but I won't for it working!

I tried a dummy reservation for a date on the NEC (it happened to be more than 2 weeks away). It does list the "regular" fares. However, when I clicked "book it", it did not give me the 25% discounted fare (for 14 day advance purchase) - it gave me the AAA fare (of 10% off)!

Nothin' found in the Android market, only an app to sign up for AGR.
If Amtrak is going to put the effort and money into an iPhone app, I woukd expect that an equivalent Android app is in development. The Amtrak iPhone app is also not an iPad app, only works as a small screen size app on the iPad. Hopefully an iPad version is also in the works.

Regardless this is a major step forward for Amtrak for easy ticketing and train status information. The app is only at V1.0.2.
Waiting for the Android one here as well... Here's to hoping they are using the iOS one to get all the bugs worked out of it so that the Android one is better. :D

peter

I think PRR60 is correct. I do have my NARP discount information filled in under my profile, but I'm still not provided with the option on the iPhone to use it. Until they add this feature, I'm not going to be able to use the app to book reservations either, sadly. Otherwise they did a nice job.
Thank you!

I'll sit and wait for an apology from that smart-a** kid over the "old fogie" comment.
I will apologize for the "old fogie" remark, but I won't for it working!

I tried a dummy reservation for a date on the NEC (it happened to be more than 2 weeks away). It does list the "regular" fares. However, when I clicked "book it", it did not give me the 25% discounted fare (for 14 day advance purchase) - it gave me the AAA fare (of 10% off)!
Hope they fix that glitch. The website is good at letting us know when the "regular" price (for 14 day advance purchase) is less than than the AAA price.

If Amtrak is going to put the effort and money into an iPhone app, I woukd expect that an equivalent Android app is in development. The Amtrak iPhone app is also not an iPad app, only works as a small screen size app on the iPad. Hopefully an iPad version is also in the works.

Regardless this is a major step forward for Amtrak for easy ticketing and train status information. The app is only at V1.0.2.
I agree, I am slightly disappointed that Amtrak didn't release an iPad app as well, as I do most of my web browsing on my iPad.

I would expect that an equivalent Android app is in development.
Waiting for the Android one here as well.
Even though the Android market is eclipsing the iOS market I'm not holding my breath. Luckily any modern Android device can make full use of the Amtrak's main website so it's not exactly a huge deal.

Train status is a little iffy. It only provides info for what actually happened. For example. I checked the status of 6 into Chicago for today. Since 6 had not yet arrived, there was no info. I checked for out of Galesburg, and it gave status since the train had already departed Galesburg. 6 was apparently running several hours late today.
My first try was yesterday with Amtrak train 286. The app stated departed SDY 1:46 PM (scheduled 12:09 PM), arrived ALB 2:12 PM (scheduled 12:50), departed ALB 1:05 PM (on time)! I assumed something screwy with the app unless Amtrak invented time travel. Then I saw what must have been #286 roar by on the M-N Hudson Line. Later I checked the main website and it had the same data. I suppose it was a protect consist for the ALB-NYP portion.

Train status is a little iffy. It only provides info for what actually happened. For example. I checked the status of 6 into Chicago for today. Since 6 had not yet arrived, there was no info. I checked for out of Galesburg, and it gave status since the train had already departed Galesburg. 6 was apparently running several hours late today.
My first try was yesterday with Amtrak train 286. The app stated departed SDY 1:46 PM (scheduled 12:09 PM), arrived ALB 2:12 PM (scheduled 12:50), departed ALB 1:05 PM (on time)! I assumed something screwy with the app unless Amtrak invented time travel. Then I saw what must have been #286 roar by on the M-N Hudson Line. Later I checked the main website and it had the same data. I suppose it was a protect consist for the ALB-NYP portion.
I think my airline is using time-travel. I booked a trip from Provo to Denver to Phila for a Sat in November. I recently checked the itinerary and they now have me traveling from Provo to Denver on Sat and from Denver to Phila on the Fri before...and have yet to notify me of this change. Since the trip is not till Nov, and not wanting to wait on hold to talk to someone, I sent them an inquiry via their website asking how we can rectify this impossible change. Still waiting to hear from them. Alas, taking the train back home is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back