Amtrak releases iPhone app

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D T Nelson

Lead Service Attendant
It looks like it came out yesterday, but I didn't notice it until this afternoon. I haven't thoroughly wrung it out yet, but it looks pretty good, and definitely better than Amtrak.com's mobile web page.

This link will take you to the iTunes preview page for the app, which describes it in more detail and shows screen shots. (That page will open in your browser, and not launch iTunes, so don't be afraid to click it.)

Thanks for posting that, it is a really nice app! I had been wondering if they were every going to release one.

The only problem I am having with it, is it is showing my address from two moves ago when I lived in Las Vegas. This has been updated on Amtrak.com and on the AGR website. I wonder where it is pulling this old info from.

The passport feature is an interesting gimmick where you earn stamps for checking in at stations and purchasing your tickets through the app.

Thanks for posting that, it is a really nice app! I had been wondering if they were every going to release one.

The only problem I am having with it, is it is showing my address from two moves ago when I lived in Las Vegas. This has been updated on Amtrak.com and on the AGR website. I wonder where it is pulling this old info from.

The passport feature is an interesting gimmick where you earn stamps for checking in at stations and purchasing your tickets through the app.
Yeah, mine is showing a town I lived in - two moves ago. Everything is updated with amtrak.com and AGR.

Ok, aside from the fact that my town is incorrect, the app IS pretty slick. It shows all of my reservations that I made on the website at the bottom of the app. And it looks like you get points in the form of stamps in your passport if you check in at a station, buy tickets through the app, etc. And good thing I was in there because it reminded me to cancel my reservation for the regional tomorrow morning - which I believe I was able to do successfully through the app.

I can't see anyway to apply a AAA or age 62+ discount. If that's the case (and maybe I missed it), and if you routinely use those fares, the app is not useful for making reservations.

Train status is a little iffy. It only provides info for what actually happened. For example. I checked the status of 6 into Chicago for today. Since 6 had not yet arrived, there was no info. I checked for out of Galesburg, and it gave status since the train had already departed Galesburg. 6 was apparently running several hours late today.

I can't see anyway to apply a AAA or age 62+ discount. If that's the case (and maybe I missed it), and if you routinely use those fares, the app is not useful for making reservations.
Here's the trick for the "old fogies"
laugh.gif
, any other users and for any other discount users!
smile.gif

• Click on "My Account"
  • Click on "view/edit"
  • Scroll down, and fill in the phone number (and indicate "home")
  • Scroll down some more and enter your cell number
  • Scroll down more and change your address, if necessary
  • Scroll down MUCH more, and check off the discount and enter the number (if any)
  • Scroll down to the VERY bottom. and click on "Save"

Here's the trick for the "old fogies"
laugh.gif
, any other users and for any other discount users!
smile.gif

• Click on "My Account"
  • Click on "view/edit"
  • Scroll down, and fill in the phone number (and indicate "home")
  • Scroll down some more and enter your cell number
  • Scroll down more and change your address, if necessary
  • Scroll down MUCH more, and check off the discount and enter the number (if any)
  • Scroll down to the VERY bottom. and click on "Save"
This is in the iPhone App? Where is "My Account" on the app?

All that is in my account on Amtrak.com (has been for years), and the appropriate discount is applied for on-line purchases. The problem is the app does not apply the discount in the on-line profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must I do EVERYTHING!

After you log in, "My account" is the 6th one down on the list.
All my profile info is there, including my discount type. But when I go to buy a ticket, and choose me as the passenger (which should apply the profile discount), no discount is applied. I cannot see any way to do so, or to apply a discount when you are also buying a ticket for someone else.

So, I repeat, I can't see any way the iPhone app can be used to buy a AAA or 62+ discount ticket. It does not appear to matter whether the discount in in your profile or not. If you have done a trial booking and had the app apply a discount, I'd love to find out how.

I think PRR60 is correct. I do have my NARP discount information filled in under my profile, but I'm still not provided with the option on the iPhone to use it. Until they add this feature, I'm not going to be able to use the app to book reservations either, sadly. Otherwise they did a nice job.

I think PRR60 is correct. I do have my NARP discount information filled in under my profile, but I'm still not provided with the option on the iPhone to use it. Until they add this feature, I'm not going to be able to use the app to book reservations either, sadly. Otherwise they did a nice job.
Thank you!

I'll sit and wait for an apology from that smart-a** kid over the "old fogie" comment.

Nothin' found in the Android market, only an app to sign up for AGR.
If Amtrak is going to put the effort and money into an iPhone app, I woukd expect that an equivalent Android app is in development. The Amtrak iPhone app is also not an iPad app, only works as a small screen size app on the iPad. Hopefully an iPad version is also in the works.

Regardless this is a major step forward for Amtrak for easy ticketing and train status information. The app is only at V1.0.2.

All I can say is ABOUT TIME! This will make booking so much more enjoyable. Now, how about making sleepers bookable via the mobile site and app?

All I can say is ABOUT TIME! This will make booking so much more enjoyable. Now, how about making sleepers bookable via the mobile site and app?
I don't think booking sleepers over the app will be a possibility. You can't do it on the mobile site. Why would they allow you to do it on the app? I haven't tried it or even put it on my iPod yet. (Waiting on the iPhone 5) can one upgrade to BC or FC?

I don't think booking sleepers over the app will be a possibility. You can't do it on the mobile site. Why would they allow you to do it on the app? I haven't tried it or even put it on my iPod yet. (Waiting on the iPhone 5) can one upgrade to BC or FC?
The app does allow one to book sleeping accommodations.

That's a shocker! Now how about letting us do it over the mobile web! For those of us that have stupid blackberry's like my self!

Screen shot:

6031484606_24935e4702.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back