Amtrak Priority

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak Priority

• No - it is their railroad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - for daily trains

• Yes - for all trains

• I don't care

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are exceptions that I understand us sitting in the whole for. Any Commuter Train Interference (CTI) is acceptable IMHO, since 5 minutes makes a lot bigger difference to those Commuters than it does to the average Amtrak passenger, and CT's usually have many more people on board. Also situations where a train legitimately is short on time, like within half an hour of dying and being 29 minutes from base. The 6 hours from base, and you stick us in the hole doesnt hold water to me.

battalion51 said:
I'm sure to some Freight RR's a Hot UPS is a valid reason. :lol:
Of course, the thing is this: is our hot UPS regularly scheduled like our passenger trains are, or not?

Sam Damon said:
battalion51 said:
I'm sure to some Freight RR's a Hot UPS is a valid reason.   :lol:
Of course, the thing is this: is our hot UPS regularly scheduled like our passenger trains are, or not?
Actually that's probably one of the few freight trains, beyond say the Tropicana juice train, that is regularly scheduled. UPS contracts require the train to be on the move at a certain time each night from their depots and to arrive at a certain time.

AlanB said:
Actually that's probably one of the few freight trains, beyond say the Tropicana juice train, that is regularly scheduled.  UPS contracts require the train to be on the move at a certain time each night from their depots  and to arrive at a certain time.
Aloha

that interesting, Ice Capades gave up on rail because in 1976 the railroads would not gaurentee overnight between Hartford and NYC. And They had passenger equiped cars for their scenery.

Well, I voted 'NO', and I see I was the only one. Here's my justification:

I use Amtrak all the time, and I think it provides a necessary service to the country. However, it's hard to get around the fact that the freight railroads own most of the intercity tracks, and as the saying goes: ownership is 9/10s of the law. As I see it, the freights are not one big monopoly trying to exert dominance over the industry (think Microsoft, Ma Bell), and so they aren't going to fall into any of those legal loopholes, requiring them to act in a certain way.

That said, if the question had been worded something like: 'Should the freight railroads face monetary penalties for delaying passenger trains by more than xxx minutes/hours?', then I would have voted yes.

The law should be structured no differently than most tenant/landlord statues. For example, if my apartment heat goes out and my landlord fails to repair it within a certain short timeframe, I can have it fixed myself, and withhold the cost from my rent.

If the freight railroads are going to rent their tracks to passenger lines (ie. Amtrak, and the 'land cruise' companies), then those freight railroads should be responsible for what is traveling on their tracks. If passengers need to be compensated, and the freight line is responsible for the delay, then the freight line should pony up the compensation, at the least.

In other words, if the freight lines (who are essentially landlords) want to delay Amtrak trains, then that's fine. However, they should be prepared to pay a penalty to do so. If their freight is more valuable to them than the penalty, then it may be in their best business interest to delay Amtrak. However, I doubt that this would be the case too often.

Yes, it was mandated at the time of the creation of Amtrak, however it has been coventiently ignored by everyone. The politicians choose to ignore those laws or regulations that may have a negative affect on those who give them campaign contributions - and Amtrak does not have any kind of an effective lobby.

haolerider said:
Yes, it was mandated at the time of the creation of Amtrak, however it has been coventiently ignored by everyone. The politicians choose to ignore those laws or regulations that may have a negative affect on those who give them campaign contributions - and Amtrak does not have any kind of an effective lobby.
Amtrak's initial authorization expired nearly 10 years ago. Since then, it has been up to Amtrak to negotiate contracts with individual host railroads, and provide for their own negotiated incentive/penalty system for on-time performance.

AlanB said:
Sam Damon said:
battalion51 said:
I'm sure to some Freight RR's a Hot UPS is a valid reason.   :lol:
Actually that's probably one of the few freight trains, beyond say the Tropicana juice train, that is regularly scheduled. UPS contracts require the train to be on the move at a certain time each night from their depots and to arrive at a certain time.
Depending on the railroad, most trains actually are scheduled. The system moves a lot better that way since meets can be planned, crews can be kept in good rotation, etc. Now there will be cases when stuff is delayed, or whatever, but most railroads these days are scheduled.

Even though the railroads are private wasn't all the land given to them free? They should give something back in return.

denmarks said:
Even though the railroads are private wasn't all the land given to them free? They should give something back in return.
Aloha

Didn't the taxpayers pay for that land so that we could have a rails system and fill the pockets of rail barrons. :lol: :eek:

NS has melted down again between CHI-PGH, apparently...

30(12) and 30(13) ran over six and over four hours late into PGH...

I would have to say yes! I understand the “it is their railroad” argument but if passenger service is to survive the trains must run on-time.

colewa said:
I would have to say yes!  I understand the “it is their railroad” argument but if passenger service is to survive the trains must run on-time.
Aloha

When I sign a contract it says the curtain goes up at 8Pm, and it does whatever it takes. Or 2:30 if it is a matinee :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back