amtrak portrayals in tv/film

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak is in an early episode of The Office, Dwight and Micheal are on a train that is pretty clearly Amtrak colours and patterns

In season 2 of Prison Break, the fugitives are fleeing Illinois and their destination is Utah. There is a scene on a train, looks a lot like an Amtrak Superliner.

That episode was hilarious! I won't say anything since it hasn't aired on the West Coast yet (and some people might be watching it on CBS' website tomorrow if they don't have cable).
We're just watching it now, the knowitall rail fan is awesome!!!!
Edit: "My boyfriend's off playing choo-choo with a weirdo"! For the record, you guys are now "the weirdo".

Last edited by a moderator:
Brent gave me pointed looks all the way through that episode. I pretended I couldn't see him.

The Recruit (2003) heavily featured a chase scene through Washington Union Station and even through an Acela Express (99.9% sure not a soundstage)

Don't like. I don't think they should be showing someone running along tracks, especially in a yard with so many tracks & trains.

Does a music video count?

A little background...
Happy is Pharrell's fun, engaging, hit song from the movie Despicable Me 2
He made a 24 hour (!) video of the 4 minute long song with a lot of different types of people, young and old, taking turns dancing through the streets and landmarks of L.A.each time.the song rotates - Pharrell is in there once in a while too.
If you're a hater, don't waste your time complaining about the song to me because I love it, I also love watching all of the people - it makes me,.. happy :)

Anyway....
I had no idea how beautiful LAX is! I'm looking forward to making it there soon.

There is an hour's worth of LAX inside and outside on the video.
Lots of Amtrak signage too but, alas, no trains :(
I was hoping to see a Conductor or SCA dance too, but no.

So...
If you're interested, the LAX footage starts in the middle of the 9:56 am block (around 9:58) with the pretty girl dancing in the street and ends at 10:56 am with a guy in a courtyard.

Is the guy with the red sweater vest and bow tie a member here? :p He's awesome, btw.

Pharrell's 24 Hours of Happy Video

To put this in one place, I saw another episode of Fringe. Setting aside the soundstage/exterior comedy, it looks like the Fringe-verse MBTA ("MassTrack") managed to outdo the Jersey Builder with the Boston Canadian.

(Because the episode was shot in Vancouver, they used Pacific Central Station as a stand-in for Boston South Station, and as a result a bunch of VIA equipment got to act as the ersatz MBTA equipment. There was also a honorable appearance of what seemed to be Pullman Gallery Cars onsite as well...probably still sitting in the yard from when they were changing out the West Coast Express cars. It was funny, though...one of the night-time scenes showed the Canadian pulling out, Park Car taking up the rear.)

Sure music vids count, at least for me.

Watch the end of Bruno Mars "grenade" music video. At the very end a Pacific Surfliner with f40 cab 90208 can be seen

MORE MOVIES:

Head of State with Bernie Mac here with the slap scene with Amtrak Acela Capstone phase V paint scheme amfleet cars http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/850117/

Atlas Shrugged part 1- Tagney takes the train from New York to Philadelphia; however as this is a low budget film, the Northeast Corridor is not shown, instead a Metra train in the sunset is shown, as well as what appears to be an Amtrak Midwest type train (although in both cases the names are not shown but one can still identify them)

Oceans 12- Danny Ocean (George Clooney) can be seen walking in an Amtrak horizon car when trying to get home quickly at the beginning of the movie

Dark Knight- various Amtrak Midwest Horizon cars can be seen, one seen when an high ranking criminal's chauffeur is shot by Two-Face and crashes and flips the car

Disaster on the Coastliner- Amtrak is the main star of this movie, along with William Shatner. Although movie based on west coast, it was filmed in Connecticut

Live and Die in LA- a lot of freight and passenger scenes during a long car chase scene, Amtrak P30CHs, F40s, Santa Fe switchers, Superliners, Cotton Belt, and more, as well as LA Union Station

ANOTHER TV SHOW

American Horror Story: Coven- various scenes

Does a music video count?

A little background...

Happy is Pharrell's fun, engaging, hit song from the movie Despicable Me 2

He made a 24 hour (!) video of the 4 minute long song with a lot of different types of people, young and old, taking turns dancing through the streets and landmarks of L.A.each time.the song rotates - Pharrell is in there once in a while too.

If you're a hater, don't waste your time complaining about the song to me because I love it, I also love watching all of the people - it makes me,.. happy :)

Anyway....

I had no idea how beautiful LAX is! I'm looking forward to making it there soon.

There is an hour's worth of LAX inside and outside on the video.

Lots of Amtrak signage too but, alas, no trains :(

I was hoping to see a Conductor or SCA dance too, but no.

So...

If you're interested, the LAX footage starts in the middle of the 9:56 am block (around 9:58) with the pretty girl dancing in the street and ends at 10:56 am with a guy in a courtyard.

Is the guy with the red sweater vest and bow tie a member here? :p He's awesome, btw.

Pharrell's 24 Hours of Happy Video
I heard the song so many times on the radio recently that I had to look it up tonight. I guess it made it up to the number 1 single on iTunes and on the Billboard Top 100. Watching the music video an hour at a time... Saw the Union Station portion... they really go all around the station. It seems they filmed in the middle of the waiting room with the general public in the background (probably wondering what the heck is going on) so If you were waiting in the station the day they filmed you might see yourself in the video!! Each person was only given one take to perform whatever they wanted so some of it came out in an interesting way. Most auditioned to be in the video ahead of time and a few celebs were selected, however a few individuals were cast on the spot as well. The concept of a 24-hour long music video is interesting but from what I have seen thus far it seems like a somewhat interesting concept. The times of the day listed on the clock on the video pretty much match the time they were recorded.

But back to trains... it was nice they included Union Station including the background ads for Amtrak but alas... no actual trains :(

Speaking of music videos the band HIM filmed their music video wings of a butterfly at laus but no trains. Amtrak was in the movie cheaper by the dozen and Garfield the movie.

Don't like. I don't think they should be showing someone running along tracks, especially in a yard with so many tracks & trains.
I do not care how popular or famous that guy is, he should not be trespassing.
Why exactly do you think he's trespassing?
He may have permission to be on the tracks to film the commercial, but his "character" is trespassing. Unless train yards allow people to jog in their yards.

Dark Knight- various Amtrak Midwest Horizon cars can be seen, one seen when an high ranking criminal's chauffeur is shot by Two-Face and crashes and flips the car
Here's a good shot. The train would have been just a couple minutes from CUS:

tumblr_loo0wf7GfY1qjbsoho1_1280.jpg

This isn't Amtrak, but Millennium Station hosts the South Shore Line and (some of the) Metra trains:

tumblr_lonx3rvxUx1qjbsoho1_1280.jpg

Maybe it was mentioned, only skimmed the thread, but the movie "Perfect Murder" -- Michael Douglas in a sleeping compartment of an Amtrak, near the end of the movie.

Movies:

Karate Kid Part III - Mr. Miyagi's shop is located along a set of railroad tracks. Two scenes in the movie has an Amtrak going by in the background.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - The train that breaks down. I noticed that on the backs of the seats there are the light blue head rest covers and I think I make out the Amtrak logo.

Rain Man (not sure if this was mentioned) - closing scene when Ray and the attorney head back to Chicago from Los Angeles.

War of the Roses (not sure if it's Amtrak) - Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito ride the train back from the E.R.

City Slickers 2 (again not sure if it's Amtrak) - Billy Crystal and Daniel Stern ride to Billy's home in New Rochelle from New York.

TV Shows:

The Sopranos: In a couple episodes there are short glimpses. I think one of them, Tony is standing there smoking a cigar and an Amtrak passes by in the background.

Family Ties - Premiere of season four, when Alex chases after Ellen after he discovers he's in love with her after she becomes engaged.

Movies:

Karate Kid Part III - Mr. Miyagi's shop is located along a set of railroad tracks. Two scenes in the movie has an Amtrak going by in the background.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - The train that breaks down. I noticed that on the backs of the seats there are the light blue head rest covers and I think I make out the Amtrak logo.

Rain Man (not sure if this was mentioned) - closing scene when Ray and the attorney head back to Chicago from Los Angeles.

War of the Roses (not sure if it's Amtrak) - Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito ride the train back from the E.R.

City Slickers 2 (again not sure if it's Amtrak) - Billy Crystal and Daniel Stern ride to Billy's home in New Rochelle from New York.

TV Shows:

The Sopranos: In a couple episodes there are short glimpses. I think one of them, Tony is standing there smoking a cigar and an Amtrak passes by in the background.

Family Ties - Premiere of season four, when Alex chases after Ellen after he discovers he's in love with her after she becomes engaged.
For Planes, Trains and Automobiles, the logo looked like Amtrak but the Amtrak name and brand were not used because the train is portrayed in a negative light

Movies:

TV Shows:

For Planes, Trains and Automobiles, the logo looked like Amtrak but the Amtrak name and brand were not used because the train is portrayed in a negative light
Correct. This happens in many movies, just wasn't sure in PTA. I know it happened as well in Silver Streak, which they renamed AmRoad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back