amtrak portrayals in tv/film

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was some Steven Seagal jalopy several years ago where terrorists overran a train going through the Rockies. The train appeared to be Superliner equipment but unlike anything Amtrak has since it was all high luxury. It actually wasn't too bad a movie, especially the big train wreck on the bridge at the end.

Two movies I have seen with Amtrak: "Chain Reaction" with Keanu Reeves and Morgan Freeman. There is a scene at Chicago Union Station where a girl is waiting by a train of Amfleets. "Abduction" with Taylor Lautner. A fictional train train from Pittsburgh to Omaha. They used Heritage coaches owned by the Friends of the 261.

"Witness" with Harrison Ford. Don't recall the train in the opening scene, but do recall using 30th Street Station.

The Trading Spaces train scene: an E60 transforms into an AEM7.
You'll also notice there is an Amfleet Baggage Car but as AlanB pointed out if you "slow roll" that scene you'll see the flutter of paper over the windows to make an Amfleet Coach look like a Bag. Of course that car plays an important role.
Um, I didn't point anything out. :unsure: That was North Coast Hiawatha who pointed that out. :)

Trading Spaces is on Netflix.

Trading Spaces is one of my all-time favorite movies. :)
Um, the movie is Trading Places with a "P". That's the one starring Eddie Murphy & Dan Aykroyd.

Trading Spaces, with an "S", was a TV show were people redecorated each other's apartments or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Verdict" has a couple of scenes filmed at Boston South Station.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Um, the movie is Trading Places with a "P". That's the one starring Eddie Murphy & Dan Aykroyd.

Trading Spaces, with an "S", was a TV show were people redecorated each other's apartments or something like that.
Oh my gosh. I can't believe I did that. That's what I get for typing in a hurry. :p

H290Coach.JPEG
I really wish they'd bring back those "wings". I've used them on airplanes, and they make it so much easier to sleep. I get a crick in my neck/back if I try to lean against the window, and it would give the aisle person something to lean against as well.

Oh my gosh. I can't believe I did that. That's what I get for typing in a hurry. :p
Sarah, you can get him back. He made a typo in his post. :p

The 2003 remake of "The Italian Job" with Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron features scenes filmed at LA Union Station (as itself), along with some train equipment including what I'm assuming is a cargo carrier for transporting automobiles, and the final scene is set aboard a Pacific Parlour Car (not sure if it was filmed on an actual PPC or if they recreated it on a soundstage, but it looks like the real thing to me).

This week's "Big Bang Theory" takes place on a train. It's no secret Sheldon loves trains. He talks about them throughout the series.

Anyway, this appears to have been shot on the Napa Valley Wine Train. We were on it last June. That, or they did a fabulous job recreating the interior.

http://youtu.be/E1og6pzTcS4

Oops. Wrong "trains in TV/movies" thread. I don't think they're trying to say this one is Amtrak.

There was a "Big Bang Theory" episode from several seasons ago where they were taking the Coast Starlight from L.A. to the Bay Area -- yes, it was mentioned by name, and much of the dialogue seemed accurate (it was obvious the writers had done good research), but whatever they used for the interior shots looked nothing like a Superliner coach.

There was a "Big Bang Theory" episode from several seasons ago where they were taking the Coast Starlight from L.A. to the Bay Area -- yes, it was mentioned by name, and much of the dialogue seemed accurate (it was obvious the writers had done good research), but whatever they used for the interior shots looked nothing like a Superliner coach.
I remember that one. They met Summer Glau. :) The interior of the car was red, yes?

I just checked our Wine Train pictures, and it appears I was wrong. The seats in our pictures were covered with a patterned, tapestry fabric, not the gold fabric on the chairs in the trailer. The curtains were different too.

"Midnight Run" has Robert DiNiro and Charles Grodin riding in a genuine (I'm sure it is a real Heritage sleeper) bedroom for a significant part of the movie. A pair of F40 diesels power the train and the movie came out in 1988.

There was an episode of Fringe where a few scenes were purportedly set in 30th Street Station. It clearly wasn't 30th Street Station at all.

There was also an episode of Castle where the body was supposedly found in the bathtub by NYP. I actually screamed at my screen when I saw it, given that the yard in question was full of Superliners and California Cars (though there was a stainless steel PV also visible in the background).

There was an episode of Fringe where a few scenes were purportedly set in 30th Street Station. It clearly wasn't 30th Street Station at all.
I just watched the entire run of "Fringe" on Netflix over the past couple of months, and I don't remember 30th Street being a location -- I do remember scenes supposedly taking place at South Station (Boston) and Penn Station (Newark). No mention of Amtrak, though, and they used a fake name for the commuter train service in Boston.

If I recall correctly, the first season was filmed in New York, and the rest of the series was filmed in Vancouver.

trainman74, on 03 Feb 2014 - 5:30 PM, said:

Anderson, on 03 Feb 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:There was an episode of Fringe where a few scenes were purportedly set in 30th Street Station. It clearly wasn't 30th Street Station at all.
I just watched the entire run of "Fringe" on Netflix over the past couple of months, and I don't remember 30th Street being a location -- I do remember scenes supposedly taking place at South Station (Boston) and Penn Station (Newark). No mention of Amtrak, though, and they used a fake name for the commuter train service in Boston.

If I recall correctly, the first season was filmed in New York, and the rest of the series was filmed in Vancouver.
The episode in question involved the soldiers who were being used as human bombs to take out information that was being passed to the Observers.

That "Big Bang Theory" episode is on right now here in midwest. I want to know which AU'er is playing the Amtrak train geek!!

That episode was hilarious! I won't say anything since it hasn't aired on the West Coast yet (and some people might be watching it on CBS' website tomorrow if they don't have cable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back