Amtrak Police shook me down in Reno

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the lost point, is that even if you are technical correct, you might still end up on the platform with your train long-gone, once they get around to agreeing that you were possibly within your rights to refuse the room search.

I was pulled out of the security line for "random" additional screening (I guess people of Italian descent are now on their watch list).
If that's your impression of the situation, then I suggest you need to look at a dictionary and familiarize yourself with the definition of the word random.

Where in my post did I say I felt that I was superior to these guys? I have MANY friends who fit the "hippy/dirty backpack" profile.
They may be dirtier than you. They may be carrying a backpack. But when you call them "dirty backpackers" that's a strictly derogatory term in my experience. I have been fortunate to receive a salary sufficient to move beyond the bare-bones backpacking lifestyle, but I have no specific problem with backpackers. In many ways I respect their vastly more efficient and carefree lifestyle. Likewise, even though I don't have any illegal drug habits myself I feel most recreational drugs should be legalized, taxed and regulated. I know everyone has their own opinion about these sorts of issues but if this "Great Recession" thing sticks around long enough we might all be backpackers some day. Although hopefully not so dirty that we cause each other any olfactory problems. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's your impression of the situation, then I suggest you need to look at a dictionary and familiarize yourself with the definition of the word random.
Whatever you think the word "random" means is totally irrelevant. :rolleyes:

That is how the TSA uses the term, and they are the ones who refer to it as a "random" additional screening which is indeed based on profiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it isn't. The random screens are exactly that, random.

They also may be cases where additional screening is conducted for a reason (which can be construed as profiling, I guess) but don't confuse that with the random screenings that are undertaken.

I would tend to agree that random is indeed random. I have been pulled out of line a couple of times during my flying trips. Now, granted, I fly a LOT with my job, so, I would expect it every so often. The only way I would have been chosen is due to it being nothing but random. I don't stand out in any way; I am a 5'10", brown haired, hazel eyed female, usually carrying nothing more than a backpack, checking one bag, flying on a round trip ticket, purchased well in advance through our travel agent at work. Nothing unusual about all of that. I cheerfully consent (of course I do, what choice is there), and then get back into line. I certainly don't think that I am being unfairly targeted...

I have seen where TSA will go through the boarding line and pick every, for example, fifth person in line. While that isn't exactly 'random', I don't think that this is targeted or profiling by any means either.

Just my two cents worth, and my experiences.

I have never been selected for "random" screenings. (Although many who know me would consider me "questionable"!
laugh.gif
)

When I was in PHL on NTD to board #66 home, that had a table set up by the gate for "random" searches! They searched ONE woman out of the entire line!
biggrin.gif

I have never been selected for "random" screenings. (Although many who know me would consider me "questionable"!
laugh.gif
)

When I was in PHL on NTD to board #66 home, that had a table set up by the gate for "random" searches! They searched ONE woman out of the entire line!
biggrin.gif
Dave, if I was the head of the TSA, I'd put your FACE on every single card in a deck of cards, and hand them out to every new TSA recruit, with the admonition to "FIND THIS TRAVELER!"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I cheerfully consent (of course I do, what choice is there)
You can say "No". One simple word that, in defiance of authority behaving stupidly, has a long and proud history.

And one thing to keep in mind (especially on airlines, as you were describing)... if you refuse a consensual search, and they deny you boarding privileges, you should be entitled to a full refund of the fare in question without penalties or holdbacks. After all, the security officer is the duly authorized agent of the airlines (yes, it's true), and if the airline doesn't want to allow you on board for its own particular reasons, then it has to refund your payment in full.

I've seen people who wanted to cancel their flights, but do so without penalty, do precisely this in order to get their expensive airfare back. Go the airport on the day of, and refuse to be searched or screened. You'll have to stand up strong in face of a lot of people who are telling you what a jerk you are, and "don't you get it", blah blah blah... but it can be done. :)

You can say "No". One simple word that, in defiance of authority behaving stupidly, has a long and proud history.

And one thing to keep in mind (especially on airlines, as you were describing)... if you refuse a consensual search, and they deny you boarding privileges, you should be entitled to a full refund of the fare in question without penalties or holdbacks. After all, the security officer is the duly authorized agent of the airlines (yes, it's true), and if the airline doesn't want to allow you on board for its own particular reasons, then it has to refund your payment in full.

I've seen people who wanted to cancel their flights, but do so without penalty, do precisely this in order to get their expensive airfare back. Go the airport on the day of, and refuse to be searched or screened. You'll have to stand up strong in face of a lot of people who are telling you what a jerk you are, and "don't you get it", blah blah blah... but it can be done. :)
TSA Officers are not airline agents, they are employees of the federal government and cannot represent the airlines. Look at the ad url: Transportation Security Officer

Transportation Security Administration (TSA)

Security Officer Part-time Vacancy Announcement Please apply online: https://tsajobs.tsa.dhs.gov

Where in my post did I say I felt that I was superior to these guys? I have MANY friends who fit the "hippy/dirty backpack" profile.
They may be dirtier than you. They may be carrying a backpack. But when you call them "dirty backpackers" that's a strictly derogatory term in my experience. I have been fortunate to receive a salary sufficient to move beyond the bare-bones backpacking lifestyle, but I have no specific problem with backpackers. In many ways I respect their vastly more efficient and carefree lifestyle. Likewise, even though I don't have any illegal drug habits myself I feel most recreational drugs should be legalized, taxed and regulated. I know everyone has their own opinion about these sorts of issues but if this "Great Recession" thing sticks around long enough we might all be backpackers some day. Although hopefully not so dirty that we cause each other any olfactory problems. :lol:
dax, I can see how you would be offended. My apologies, no insult was intended. This term is used by "kids" nowadays, and the word "dirty" refers to the backpack, NOT the person carrying it. The term is not derogatory, rather, it's used to describe someone who might otherwise be described as a "bohemian","hippy", or "beatnik", and certainly as you described, efficient and carefree.

Believe me, I have way too many flaws to be passing judgement on others.

Dirty backpacker would only offend me because it is not a strong enough statement. Call me "hikertrash" and I will be happy.

Dirty backpacker would only offend me because it is not a strong enough statement. Call me "hikertrash" and I will be happy.
Hey, why not go all the way and call you white hikertrash? :hi:

Why would I say 'no'? I have nothing to hide, and I realize that it is just a way of life now, like it or not. Besides, to go through all of that in order to be 'defiant' is not in my character, nor would work be all that happy about it. When I am at the airport, 99% of the time I am traveling with work, and I MUST be there as scheduled, unless there is a reasonable excuse that doesn't allow me to do so. Cancelled flights and bad weather are reasonable excuses; me being defiant just because is not a reasonable excuse. I fly because I must, and I deal with security 'hassles' because that is part of it. If they choose me for a random search, so be it; they're wasting their time on me anyhow.

Why would I say 'no'? I have nothing to hide, and I realize that it is just a way of life now, like it or not. Besides, to go through all of that in order to be 'defiant' is not in my character, nor would work be all that happy about it. When I am at the airport, 99% of the time I am traveling with work, and I MUST be there as scheduled, unless there is a reasonable excuse that doesn't allow me to do so. Cancelled flights and bad weather are reasonable excuses; me being defiant just because is not a reasonable excuse. I fly because I must, and I deal with security 'hassles' because that is part of it. If they choose me for a random search, so be it; they're wasting their time on me anyhow.
You say you deal with security hassles "because that is a part of it", but the reason it is "a part of it" is because people continue to be cowed into participating in "Security Theater", taking off their shoes and belts, and throwing away their water bottles because a small group of people feels safer by so doing, even though it does nothing in terms of actual safety. There's near-unanimous agreement about this in the security industry that the American version of airport security is essentially "brain dead and backwards", and probably causes more harm than good (by forcing its agents to spend time focusing on a list of specific items that are ultra-low-risk in the first place, rather than allowing them to look for actual behavioral patterns that are much better indicators).

Although I can respect the "they're wasting their time on me". I'm the kind of person who shows up to the airport well, well, in advance of departure time, and I've been known to force them to do a hand-screen and pat-down by refusing to take off my belt in line (with my body-shape, if I do that, there's a non-trivial chance I'll be mooning people as I walk). When the SecurityMonkey asked me why I'd subject myself to that willingly, I told him, "I've got time to kill and my travel is flexible in departure. While you're tied up with me, you're not able to screw up a person's schedule who isn't so flexible. I'm passing along good karma to some random stranger whose day you didn't get to ruin."
biggrin.gif

I am on the CZ right now and our next stop is Reno. I am wearing a black hoodie at this moment and I probably will when I get off the train for a fresh air break in Reno. I will be on alert for the hoodie seeking police. :lol:

(I do not look like a hippie, but I was one 40 years ago)
Haven't heard back from PennyK. :mellow: maybe she enjoyed the pat-down way too much, and is still hanging around Reno in her hoodie :giggle:

I am on the CZ right now and our next stop is Reno. I am wearing a black hoodie at this moment and I probably will when I get off the train for a fresh air break in Reno. I will be on alert for the hoodie seeking police. :lol:

Haven't heard back from PennyK. :mellow: maybe she enjoyed the pat-down way too much, and is still hanging around Reno in her hoodie :giggle:
There were no police in Reno when I was there. I was wearing my hoodie (with the hood because it was cold). I was not the only pax wearing a hoodie.

I am in a hotel room in Seattle now (Alexis Hotel - it is fabulous), getting ready to explore the city.

:)

There were no police in Reno when I was there. I was wearing my hoodie (with the hood because it was cold). I was not the only pax wearing a hoodie.

I am in a hotel room in Seattle now (Alexis Hotel - it is fabulous), getting ready to explore the city.

:)
Heard that hotel unfortunately has been listed in a forum about having a lot of bedbugs in the past year. Hope they've cleaned it up by now. Good luck on your return trip!

So then I take it that you want to do nothing to change this "way of life now?" You like having your privacy invaded? You like warrantless suspicionless "respect mah authoritah" searches? Just how far are you willing to let it go? They're deploying x-ray vans that can see through vehicles and houses. You like that? Why stop there? Why not have roving teams of federal police randomly search random houses at random times looking for "contraband?"

Really? Someone disagrees with you on something and this is the response that you give them? Ridiculous hyperbole is deadly to constructive conversations, you should learn to disagree without being so disagreeable.

So then I take it that you want to do nothing to change this "way of life now?" You like having your privacy invaded? You like warrantless suspicionless "respect mah authoritah" searches? Just how far are you willing to let it go? They're deploying x-ray vans that can see through vehicles and houses. You like that? Why stop there? Why not have roving teams of federal police randomly search random houses at random times looking for "contraband?"
Wow. If I didn't want to deal with it, I guess I could just quit my job, become a hermit, and never ever leave the house ever again. But, that is NOT an option for me. Unfortunately, like it or not, it is how things function in this day and age. Do I like it? Not really. But, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it apparently bothers others on here. Bring on the "roving teams of federal police" to randomly search my home. If I had something to be concerned about, it might bother me more. I'll leave the defiant attitude of bucking authority to someone else who has the time and guts to do it; quite frankly, I just don't. I sincerely apologize for being someone who respects the rules, and doesn't feel like fighting every rule and regulation. It is much easier for me to just simply comply and get rid of that aspect of unneeded stress and anxiety.

You've got nothing to apologize for, StLouieLady. Someone please help me out here. I get dense sometimes a lot, but what does it matter if one can tolerate the security theatre that exists in airports, and someone else doesn't?? I don't care for it, either, particularly the time I was singled out for a random search, and that search took so long I might well have missed my flight had I not politely mentioned that I was in danger of doing so, but it is what it is. I can either tolerate it or stay away from flying. In my own personal life, avoiding flying is not an option. I guess I don't see my (and others) toleration for it should upset those who hate it. I (we) don't hurt anyone else by accepting it. It's our business and no one else's.

And the part about not being so disagreeable???? I couldn't agree with Ryan more. (And, admittedly, I get very disagreeable myself so am talking about myself here first and foremost), but a reasoned, well-formed argument without the hyperbole goes a lot further than the old "I'm right, you're wrong, and you're stupid!" form of argument.

You've got nothing to apologize for, StLouieLady. Someone please help me out here. I get dense sometimes a lot, but what does it matter if one can tolerate the security theatre that exists in airports, and someone else doesn't?? I don't care for it, either, particularly the time I was singled out for a random search, and that search took so long I might well have missed my flight had I not politely mentioned that I was in danger of doing so, but it is what it is. I can either tolerate it or stay away from flying. In my own personal life, avoiding flying is not an option. I guess I don't see my (and others) toleration for it should upset those who hate it. I (we) don't hurt anyone else by accepting it. It's our business and no one else's.

And the part about not being so disagreeable???? I couldn't agree with Ryan more. (And, admittedly, I get very disagreeable myself so am talking about myself here first and foremost), but a reasoned, well-formed argument without the hyperbole goes a lot further than the old "I'm right, you're wrong, and you're stupid!" form of argument.
I couldn't agree with you more. I'll second your comments and add this, if you don't like it don't protest to the enforcers, they can't do anything about it either, and you will irritate them by making their job harder and less pleasant. Protest to you city council person, county supervisor, state legislator, and your representative and senator. Lose the attitude with the enforcers, it will just reflect in how they treat you.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'll second your comments and add this, if you don't like it don't protest to the enforcers, they can't do anything about it either, and you will irritate them by making their job harder and less pleasant. Protest to you city council person, county supervisor, state legislator, and your representative and senator. Lose the attitude with the enforcers, it will just reflect in how they treat you.

Agreed! Where will copping an attitude with TSA and refusing to consent to their searches get you??? Not to your destination. That seems like a lot of trouble for in effect cancelling a trip. If you don't like the searches and rules and regulations, talk to your governmental officials. Not a thing wrong with that. But there is also nothing wrong with agreeing with the TSA and going through what sometimes is a pain in the posterior. Those of us who feel this way have that right too. A personal pet peeve is someone who decides for me what is in my best interests. Only I can decide that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back