Amtrak Plans Additional Train Service after I-5 bridge collapse

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This does not make sense to me. Is Sounder equipment not capable of 79MPH?

Because the extra train will use Sounder equipment, running time to Bellingham will be 2h 40m, 28 minutes longer than the 2h 12m that the Talgo sets achieve.
I agree that attributing the longer run time to Sounder equipment doesn't make sense. That explanation has not been repeated elsewhere. Yes, Sounder equipment can achieve 79mph, and no, the time should not be affected by the lack of Talgos' tilt capabilities. I would guess that the schedule differential has more to do with the slots that are being used, the padding included in the schedule, and the station dwell times.

The only place the talgo tilit capabilities are use the most is between North Seattle and Everett, other then that it is mostly on the curves.

I'm curious how many people will choose this option. The train, even with the original schedule, is a bit slower than driving, based on the schedules listed on the WSDOT website (and that the Thruway services seem to be faster.) Add another 30 minutes to the schedule and remove some of the amenities that make the train appealing, and I'm not convinced that this will be an instant hit.

It's better than nothing, though, and I will applaud them for that.

I've been checking the google news but nothing yet about the first day of service. Maybe it's too early.

A Sounder commuter train arrives from Seattle at the Bellingham train station Friday morning, May 31, 2013. Amtrak added the third daily round trip train from Seattle to Bellingham to help commuters get around the Skagit River bridge that collapsed May 23. (PHILIP A. DWYER/THE BELLINGHAM HERALD)

421-V23KK.St.39.jpeg

Congrats to WA for getting the train up and running basically a week after the bridge collapse. I'll concede

that my skepticism was ill-warranted.

Too bad the schedule is so lousy. In addition to the longer running time, the n/b run leaves SEA less than an

hour after the existing Amtrak train. That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

The afternoon s/b run seems a bit better in terms of timing. But really, this doesn't really help those from

Bellingham who want to make a day-trip into SEA. Seems like that's where the real passenger demand would be.

As for the transfer from the EB to a "Cascades" train in Everett, that would be a pretty huge gamble as the

connection time is just 28 minutes. It's definitely not a guaranteed connection.

I suspect that a major factor in setting the times had to do with getting the train set back to Seattle for overnight servicing. There are no servicing facilities in Bellingham.

All Aboard Washington shared Tom Taylor's photo.
"Here is the new #515 in Mount Vernon, WA (MVW) station on the inaugural run SEA-BEL-SEA to assist with the loss of the I-5 bridge over Skagit River in Mt. Vernon. They borrowed Sounder equipment for the summer, until the bridge is rebuilt in September. The fifth car is a cab car, and it runs North in push mode."

I wonder if the newspapers will report the passenger counts for this new train (subtracting the rail buffs and AU members who ride it to add to their taglines)?

I suspect that a major factor in setting the times had to do with getting the train set back to Seattle for overnight servicing. There are no servicing facilities in Bellingham.
Until the second Cascades train was extended to VAC, it overnighted in Bellingham. That was the practice for several years until the run

was extended in 2009 (IIRC). So obviously at that time it was possible to service a Talgo trainset overnight in BEL. Has that capability been

eliminated? How hard can it be to "service" a commuter train set? There's no food car to re-stock, for instance.

My guess is that it has more to do with what BNSF would allow. This also brings the train crew back to Seattle overnight and would eliminate

the need for hotel rooms, which would help cut operating losses. But still, it smacks me more as "Look what we did!" than something that

will actually help. The "danger" from a rail advocate perspective is that the third run is so poorly utilized, it's used as an example of why

a 3rd run isn't needed long-term. You can just hear someone say: "Remember when I-5 was CLOSED and we added a 3rd train and

hardly anyone used it...?"

I saw this train heading north through Magnolia on Saturday.

It can do 79 mph. Note that on the talgo range there are 3 stacked speed limit signs along the right of way, not the 2 one sees elsewhere where Amtrak runs on freight lines. Like - T70 P60 F50 - or such. not just the passenger and freight posted limits

Hope the train finds some passengers who learn that the train is an easier and more productive commute.

Well...IS it possible for the numbers to be avaliable now? In fact I wonder if the state might actually have someone keeping tabs on this very thing.

The only place the talgo tilit capabilities are use the most is between North Seattle and Everett, other then that it is mostly on the curves.
Don't understand your post. The only place that the Talgo tilt ability is beneficial is on curves, regardless of where the curves are located.

That is the reason for the three numbers on the speed limit signs for example:

T70 = Talgo speed limit, 70 mph

P60 = Passenger speed limit all other kinds of equipment, 60 mph

F50 = Freight train speed limit, 50 mph

For the straight tracks, the passenger train speed limit is 79 mph regardless of equipment type because that is the limit permitted by FRA regulation.

6117944975_9fc43400fb.jpg

Looking north at curve 74 on the Bellingham Subdivision in Skagit County, Washington.

Approach is for curve 76.

The bridge over the track (old Highway 99) is due to be replaced soon. On my bucket list is to have it built so as the curve can be realigned and be a 79mph curve. (I can dream.)

Last edited by a moderator:
6117944975_9fc43400fb.jpg

Looking north at curve 74 on the Bellingham Subdivision in Skagit County, Washington.

Approach is for curve 76.

The bridge over the track (old Highway 99) is due to be replaced soon. On my bucket list is to have it built so as the curve can be realigned and be a 79mph curve. (I can dream.)
what's the meaning of the slanted signs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back