Amtrak passenger claims discrimination

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the attendant or conductor doesn't need to ask every passenger who is traveling alone to please move. They just need to ask enough (in this case just one) to accommodate the expected families (in this case just one family).
Actually, he would have asked two people to move, since there was a pair of people sitting in those seats:

According to her complaint, shortly after she boarded the Richmond train and settled into her seat, conductor Donald Prince told her to move as he walked by. She stayed put.

A few minutes later Vicky Kadans, who is white, asked McMillan if she could sit next to her. McMillan slid over to the window seat to make room.

Prince soon returned, "and in a loud and intimidating voice," again ordered McMillan to move, explaining that two people who wanted to sit together were boarding the train. The complaint notes that Prince did not tell the white passenger to move, and he threatened to put McMillan off the train.
That doesn't make it look too good for this conductor...
Wait-- I was thinking it was THE Prince --

And the attendant or conductor doesn't need to ask every passenger who is traveling alone to please move. They just need to ask enough (in this case just one) to accommodate the expected families (in this case just one family).
Actually, he would have asked two people to move, since there was a pair of people sitting in those seats:

According to her complaint, shortly after she boarded the Richmond train and settled into her seat, conductor Donald Prince told her to move as he walked by. She stayed put.

A few minutes later Vicky Kadans, who is white, asked McMillan if she could sit next to her. McMillan slid over to the window seat to make room.

Prince soon returned, "and in a loud and intimidating voice," again ordered McMillan to move, explaining that two people who wanted to sit together were boarding the train. The complaint notes that Prince did not tell the white passenger to move, and he threatened to put McMillan off the train.
That doesn't make it look too good for this conductor...
"The complaint notes that Prince did not tell the white passenger to move..."

But does it mention whether he or she did so of his or her own volition?

No, but it does say that the conductor claims he asked both ladies to move, which several eyewitness accounts deny.

"I've got no case if Prince was just being rude," North said by phone Friday. "But I've got three witnesses who say he's lying when he claims he told both women to move, and [he's lying] that he never threatened to remove Mertis from the train."

Amtrak's seating policy needs to be consistent. Each passenger is entitled to a seat. Who gets what seat is normally based on first come first served in bc. That conductor absolutely had no business asking anybody to move for someone getting on later. He had no business saving seats either. If he had minded his own business he and Amtrak wouldn't be in this mess.
Actually having traveled BC on Pacific Surfliner trains, people have been asked to vacate the cluster of 4 seats if it is 1 or 2 people and that is clearly posted to reserve those seats for 3 or more.

In my humble opinion, the conductor should have left the situation alone as soon as two passengers were occupying two seats. He should have left well enough alone and gone to someone who was sitting by themself and asked them to move to another seat. And then, it should have only been a request.

That being said, it's rarely the conductor that "assigns" a seat. It's usually the SA who tells people where to sit because they're aware of the manifest and upcoming passengers counts. Usually the conductor only cares about collecting tickets.

Not to say this didn't happen. But of all businesses, Amtrak tends to be one of the most diverse in cultures - both in passengers and in crew. I would find discrimination difficult to get away with. Of course, Mr. Prince may be a young 'un and this could be his first and possibly last attempt at discrimination.

I have seen SA's play favorites. A couple of years ago on the Carolinian, a volunteer Train Host was riding home (for free, in a very busy Business Class) and he was the ONLY person in the car without a seat mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
In most cases this was due to three simple facts...

1. Many people who flout the law have little or nothing to lose that is of any specific value to them
I'm not sure I consider that a good reason. The main purpose of a lawsuit is not to recover money, it is to establish justice.

So if you honestly believe there was a major wrong, then a lawsuit you win creates a legal precedent on which others can base their cases.

Consider it part of your civic duty, if it really matters to you.

If it doesn't matter that much, then I agree, don't bother. But when money becomes the motivating factor, somthing is wrong.

The main purpose of a lawsuit is not to recover money, it is to establish justice.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. And I'll bet her lawyer works on contingency. If she has a contigency lawyer justice takes a back seat to the almighty dollar, as the lawyers fee is determined by the amount awarded to the plaintiff.

The main purpose of a lawsuit is not to recover money, it is to establish justice.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. And I'll bet her lawyer works on contingency. If she has a contigency lawyer justice takes a back seat to the almighty dollar, as the lawyers fee is determined by the amount awarded to the plaintiff.
It would depend on who her attorney is. Some people get private attorneys for free. Others secure the services of non-profit advocacy groups with attorneys on staff, who don't work on contingency. They may make claims for reasonable attorney's fees if they win.

In my humble opinion, the conductor should have left the situation alone as soon as two passengers were occupying two seats. He should have left well enough alone and gone to someone who was sitting by themself and asked them to move to another seat. And then, it should have only been a request.

That being said, it's rarely the conductor that "assigns" a seat. It's usually the SA who tells people where to sit because they're aware of the manifest and upcoming passengers counts. Usually the conductor only cares about collecting tickets.

Not to say this didn't happen. But of all businesses, Amtrak tends to be one of the most diverse in cultures - both in passengers and in crew. I would find discrimination difficult to get away with. Of course, Mr. Prince may be a young 'un and this could be his first and possibly last attempt at discrimination.

I have seen SA's play favorites. A couple of years ago on the Carolinian, a volunteer Train Host was riding home (for free, in a very busy Business Class) and he was the ONLY person in the car without a seat mate.
That's the fishy part of this story: Why is the Conductor, with all his other duties and responsibilities on an apparently full train, involved with passenger seating? Was there a couple VIP's coming aboard or a Federal marshal excorting a prisoner? Who were the 3 witnesses who heard all the details of the situation? That's amazing 3 strangers would stand up and vouch for the woman, offering their identity and personal contact information. Or was there a previous issue with the SA, that required a Conductor's intervention? I do know that interference with train operations will get you a shortened itinerary. Need to hear both sides of this case. The AU court is in session! :blink:

That train was a regional. Unless bc was in one part of the lounge car, there would be no one involved in assigning seats in any of the cars. If bc was in 1/2 of the lounge car, the lsa likely was not involved on any sort of seating arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back