Amtrak Newspaper Ad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Turning to page six of the Monday L.A. Times to read about the Israel/Gaza situation, I found an almost half-page Amtrak advertisement. Don't recall seeing one - at least not so large - before. And not outside the Sunday travel section.

I'd received a couple e-mails about the winter sale, but was kinda surprised to see a print ad.

Main headline:

apparently FARES CONTRACT in cold weather

Fares from L.A.: Albuquerque $50; Flagstaff $47; Chicago $114; Kansas City $110; New Orleans $106; Tuscon $30; San Antonio $105; Houston $105; Seattle $78; Dallas $105; Oakland $42; Portland $75.

Web-only fares, and requisite small print, and this:

"Yes, these are the actual prices. Amtrak never adds fees or taxes. Ever. [a clear slap at airlines, I think] But the sale only lasts a few short weeks..." Etc. etc.

I'm taking advantage of it and booking a trip tonight at my station. (I have an unused ticket and voucher and gift certificate) I'm going to take Brenda's 17 year old daughter to CHI for 3 days in March! She's excited and so am I!

Al

Amtrak never adds fees or taxes. Ever.
What if I want to bring an unboxed bicycle on the Vermonter? Or check four 10 pound items on the Lake Shore Limited?
Well, in situation #1, they won't charge you, they just won't let you on. The Vermonter hasn't had baggage/bicycle service since 2001, sadly. Two years ago I and a friend went on a several day bike trip from Burlington to Connecticut. We had to drive our bikes back up - it would have been wonderful to just put them on the train.

Situation #2, I'm guessing they're not referring to those kind of fees. Or, you could just bring a big roll of duct tape and tape two of your ten pound items together....

Amtrak never adds fees or taxes. Ever.
What if I want to bring an unboxed bicycle on the Vermonter? Or check four 10 pound items on the Lake Shore Limited?
Well, in situation #1, they won't charge you, they just won't let you on. The Vermonter hasn't had baggage/bicycle service since 2001, sadly. Two years ago I and a friend went on a several day bike trip from Burlington to Connecticut. We had to drive our bikes back up - it would have been wonderful to just put them on the train.

Situation #2, I'm guessing they're not referring to those kind of fees. Or, you could just bring a big roll of duct tape and tape two of your ten pound items together....
Or put them in one big box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back