Amtrak needs to allow unboxed bikes on its Baggage and Superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use your own- the problem really is that there are very, very few stations that have checked baggage.

You can use your own- the problem really is that there are very, very few stations that have checked baggage.
The solution being sought here, is to installed bike racks into the baggage cars, so that "loose" bikes can be loaded without the need to box them first.

Well, currently I can't load my own luggage into the baggage car, at a station that doesn't offer check baggage, right? So, why is it being assumed here that in contrast, a bike could be personally loaded into a rack equipped baggage car, at a station that doesn't offer checked baggage?

Well, currently I can't load my own luggage into the baggage car, at a station that doesn't offer check baggage, right? So, why is it being assumed here that in contrast, a bike could be personally loaded into a rack equipped baggage car, at a station that doesn't offer checked baggage?
It's because bicyclist feel entitled. They don't drive up the price of gas, add congestion to the roads, contribute to urban sprawl, pollute, drive up the cost of health care, or cause global warming (if you believe in it). In other words, some of the same arguments passenger rail advocates use.

There is another connection between bicyclists and passenger rail advocates. Lately both have been the object of well orchestrated campaigns of, depending on your persuasion, gratuitous slaps or well deserved push back. I don't have a television so I have no idea what Fox News's position is here; but I can give you two examples from the Wall Street Journal.

The headline of the first was something to the effect that light rail won't save Detroit. Actually, the article was a lengthy, well reasoned opinion piece as to why Detroit had sunk from an engine of industry to its present state. It wasn't until the last paragraph that light rail was even mentioned. In other words, a gratuitous slap. Sort of a validation that the campaign against HSR was really a campaign against any type of passenger rail..

The second claimed that a bike lane in Brooklyn was an affront to the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and freedom lovers every where. Way down near the end of the article it mentioned that the majority, or maybe it was the vast majority, of the neighborhood favored the bike lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't pretend to know the status of how much "space" is actually used in a baggage car during the peak summer months, but years ago, it seemed to me that even during the summer, there was PLENTY of room for bikes in baggage cars.

The only issue I see is having to provide a Conductor or AC to "Work" the baggage car to take the bike. GML, I dun't think Amtrak needs to (or can, or should) spend a DIME on the old baggage cars. But I do think they should allow bikes to be loaded into them, as is, and with a COMPLETE WAIVER of liability for scratches, damage, etc. Hang a bag tag claim check on the bike, and it is YOUR responsibility to walk to the bag car to retrieve it.

Of course is WOULD be better to have an area like CalTran does, but it does/would take away from needed revenue/toilet space.

Think of the bike as another cog in the intermodal wheel, and see where your mind takes you.

Each year we take our scout troop on a bike hike along the C&O towpath. I'd LOVE to be able to have the scouts put their bikes on at Rockville, and detrain in Cumberland and ride back down along the Potomac. As it is now, they have to be boxed, and extra fees, and it's just not possible.

p.s. Just wrote my version of the support letter, placed the stamp on the envelope, and it's awaiting our efficient US Postal Service for dispatch.
I completely agree with you rrdude!!

I'd really like to be able to take the train to Cumberland or Pittsburgh and ride back to DC. I've thought about the ordeal of breaking down the bike, boxing it up, un-boxing it, re-assembling the bike, etc. a few times only to conclude its not worth the trouble.

I'll be drafting my letter tonight!

The racks on the California cars work great. I've yet to take a bike on them (probably will do an Amtrak century this summer) but see them used frequently enough. There are 3 spots per car and I normally see at least one in a rack as I board or detrain.

Here's a recent cell phone pic of the racks. The pic only shows two spots, but there are three there. Bikes mount vertically and there are cables to aid in locking. Doesn't seem to me to impact number of pax at all - if not bike racks I'd imagine the space would be luggage.

Hopefully, going forward; all cars will have bike provisions similar to this.

Surfliner_Bike_Rack.jpg

The racks on the California cars work great. I've yet to take a bike on them (probably will do an Amtrak century this summer) but see them used frequently enough. There are 3 spots per car and I normally see at least one in a rack as I board or detrain.

Here's a recent cell phone pic of the racks. The pic only shows two spots, but there are three there. Bikes mount vertically and there are cables to aid in locking. Doesn't seem to me to impact number of pax at all - if not bike racks I'd imagine the space would be luggage.
Where in the car are those racks located?

(I assume this is somewhere on the lower level of bilevel cars. I wonder if/how something similar could work on a single-level car, such as an Amfleet/Horizon-style coach.)

On the lower level next to one set of doors (CA cars have two sets of doors) basically under/next to the stairs.

This is a blog by a couple who pretty much dropped out of mainstream life and travel around the country with their folding bicycles. He's a photographer and she makes metal jewelry and bike decorations. Last week they posted a survey asking about experiences people have had taking their bicycles on long-distance Amtrak trains.

Train and Bike Survey

This is a blog by a couple who pretty much dropped out of mainstream life and travel around the country with their folding bicycles.
Thanks for the link, Alice. It's nice to know I'm not the only odd ball out there. :giggle:

If like rail trains can find room for two bikes, than a single level amtrak train should as well.

Found that and sent off a letter to a couple...Now I even have snet something to NARP and Ross Capon and I ask others to do the same and mention this website of Amtrak Unlimited @

Mailing Address:

505 Capitol Court, NE, Suite 300

Washington, DC 20002-7706

Phone: 202-408-8362

Fax: 202-408-8287

Email:

Anyone know a Amtrak Board member here? I heard that Duakais was one
So was Lou Menk, who used to run BN, but's he's long dead.....

btw Alan, wasn't it Menk who was quoted in a 60 Minutes interview with Mike Wallace that he put the value of his company's shares of Amtrak at either "zero" or "one dollar"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back