Amtrak Looking for Consultant on Pioneer Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
POCATELLO, Idaho (AP) - A spokesman for Republican Sen. Mike Crapo of Idaho says Amtrak has started a search for a consultant as a step in possibly restoring the Pioneer Route.

Lindsay Nothern says the consultant could come to Idaho to meet with state officials about restarting the train route.

Story here.

POCATELLO, Idaho (AP) - A spokesman for Republican Sen. Mike Crapo of Idaho says Amtrak has started a search for a consultant as a step in possibly restoring the Pioneer Route.
Lindsay Nothern says the consultant could come to Idaho to meet with state officials about restarting the train route.

Story here.
WOW!!! Way cool! That's funny, we were just discussing that subject last week(?)

Anybody remember what it cost for a run from SLC to SEA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's some bad journalism...they say a rep from the person's office, but never name them...yet start off the next sentence with a proper name...I was trying to figure out who Lindsay was! And yes, Amtrak has ID'd the projects....apparently the internet is slow in ID.

Does anyone know what kind of shape the rails are in for the Pioneer route? Are they all still pretty well used freight lines. Also what about the stations? I'm sure some money will have to go to restoring stations and platforms since they haven't seen service in over a decade.

Does anyone know what kind of shape the rails are in for the Pioneer route? Are they all still pretty well used freight lines. Also what about the stations? I'm sure some money will have to go to restoring stations and platforms since they haven't seen service in over a decade.
Don't have that info. But I did find a route description (with station stops)

http://www.trainweb.com/routes/route_25/rg_25a.html

Some of the stations are still being used, but I didn't look the others up.

Amtrak was required to conduct this study under last year's appropriation bill. Just because they are doing as they were ordered does not mean real progress toward service is being made. Viewed from a national perspective, this would seem to me to be less a priority than some other ones -- for example the LA basin to Las Vegas.

Hey, I volunteer. Just pay me the consultants usual fee of half a million dollars and I will tell you want you want to hear. Lets see, the route is all UP, the track is in excellent shape, the stations need some refurbishing, and you don't have enough superliner equipment unless you rob it from another train or trains. Soooooooooooooooo....can I get my money now?

Hey, I volunteer. Just pay me the consultants usual fee of half a million dollars and I will tell you want you want to hear. Lets see, the route is all UP, the track is in excellent shape, the stations need some refurbishing, and you don't have enough superliner equipment unless you rob it from another train or trains. Soooooooooooooooo....can I get my money now?
I'll be your AA! (Admin Assistant)

Could be a split off of the Cal Zephyr!(with a Parlour Car)

Coffee? Wine tasting, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if we can add the Desert Wind and the Pioneer to the Zephyr and make them all daily... that would be one heck of a train through Illinois and Iowa!

Now if we can add the Desert Wind and the Pioneer to the Zephyr and make them all daily... that would be one heck of a train through Illinois and Iowa!
And Utah!
It would, but that would also be the wrong thing to do. A much better idea would be to leave the CZ alone and run a combined DW & Pioneer at a different time so as to provide a second frequency to the route between SLC & Chicago.

And Utah!
It would, but that would also be the wrong thing to do. A much better idea would be to leave the CZ alone and run a combined DW & Pioneer at a different time so as to provide a second frequency to the route between SLC & Chicago.
ok, ok, just as long as we get something running north & south out here!!!! Before we decided to take train, we had been playing with the idea of buying a used RV for trips.

And Utah!
As much as a second daily frequency on a major long-distance line would be awesome, if equipment is an issue, what about doing a combined DW and Pioneer meeting up in SLC? In other words, run from Washington/Oregon through Idaho and down into SLC, continuing down through St. George, Vegas, and Los Angeles (basically, providing a second route between L.A. and the PNW, only going a bit inland instead of following the coast)?

If we do get enough equipment to start a separate DW and Pioneer service, I would vote for the Pioneer to run east through Wyoming and then south through Colorado into New Mexico to provide connectivity to those unserved communities. Once we get the network linked up, then we can look at more frequencies.

Of course, you could also argue the other way--do something limited but do it well: run two daily frequencies along the CZ's route and attract the ridership, after which we can expand to new territories. Perhaps that strategy may be more successful in the long run.

If you had to choose between status quo (existing routes and once-daily [at most] frequencies) or dropping one of Amtrak's existing routes and providing a second daily frequency along it (or making the SL daily), what would you pick and which route, if applicable, would you drop and which one would you add the frequency to?

And Utah!
As much as a second daily frequency on a major long-distance line would be awesome, if equipment is an issue, what about doing a combined DW and Pioneer meeting up in SLC? In other words, run from Washington/Oregon through Idaho and down into SLC, continuing down through St. George, Vegas, and Los Angeles (basically, providing a second route between L.A. and the PNW, only going a bit inland instead of following the coast)?

If we do get enough equipment to start a separate DW and Pioneer service, I would vote for the Pioneer to run east through Wyoming and then south through Colorado into New Mexico to provide connectivity to those unserved communities. Once we get the network linked up, then we can look at more frequencies.

Of course, you could also argue the other way--do something limited but do it well: run two daily frequencies along the CZ's route and attract the ridership, after which we can expand to new territories. Perhaps that strategy may be more successful in the long run.

If you had to choose between status quo (existing routes and once-daily [at most] frequencies) or dropping one of Amtrak's existing routes and providing a second daily frequency along it (or making the SL daily), what would you pick and which route, if applicable, would you drop and which one would you add the frequency to?
Hey that would be great. We would then have a train that combined the former City of St. Louis, Portland Rose, Colorado Eagle, City of Portland all into one train. You could route it from Chicago to KC(St. Louis people could connect on the Mules) and La Junta on the BNSF tacked onto the SWC up the front range to Colorado Springs and Denver and north to Wyoming and accross on the UP to Ogden then up to Portland. You could have cars that split off at Pocatello for Yellowstone on the Yellowstone Special(or a thruway bus). If you tacked onto the back of the SWC you could be in Denver by say 2:00PM. That would put you into Pocatello the next morning early for the connection to Yellowstone and Sun Valley and into Portland that evening. Now if we could only get that train from Texas to Colorado going to connect with all this. Here is the schedule. All you have to do is figure how to get up the joint line between all those coal trains.

PIONEER

Pioneer Pioneer

7:00 AM lv PORTLAND(PT) arr 8:30 PM

11:00 PM arr POCATELLO lv 6:15 AM

11:15 PM lv POCATELLO arr 6:00 AM

2:15 AM arr OGDEN lv 3:00 AM

2:45 AM lv OGDEN arr 2:30 AM

11:30 AM arr CHEYENNE(BOWIE) lv 4:20 PM

11:35 AM lv CHEYENNE(BOWIE) arr 4:15 PM

1:30 PM arr DENVER lv 2:30 PM

3:15 PM lv DENVER arr 1:15 PM

5:00 PM arr COLORADO SPRINGS lv 11:45 AM