Amtrak Labor Day Discount Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmock

Train Attendant
Amtrak is advertising a Labor Day weekend discount of 25% off tickets for travel on either the Acela or NER as long as the tickets are purchased two weeks in advance. And, you are supposed to be able to save 25% off the saver ticket as well. Now, when I put in the required info, the Labor Day weekend prices are the same as any other weekend. So, for example PHL -> NYP is $97 on a Saturday. I'm seeing this for both the Labor Day weekend and any other typical weekend. What am I not doing correctly?

Thanks for any suggestions or help in figuring this out.

The discounted tickets are probably sold out on the trains you're looking at.
I find that hard to believe. I've done ever possible combination over the Labor Day weekend, and there are plenty of seats available, and the available trains match other weekend prices.

The discounted tickets are probably sold out on the trains you're looking at.
I find that hard to believe. I've done ever possible combination over the Labor Day weekend, and there are plenty of seats available, and the available trains match other weekend prices.
I looked at the terms, and it doesn't say 25% off the Saver fare for the NER. I read it as Saver fares are 25% off "lowest available fares". If you check out the blackout dates, it's basically book ending Thanksgiving, before Christmas, and two days on/after New Year's Day. That's just the Saver fare.

https://www.amtrak.com/northeastholidaysale

Looking for another option to travel for less this holiday weekend? The Amtrak Northeast Regional is ready to show you the sights this Labor Day, taking you from downtown-to-downtown. And best of all, if you book 14 days early, you can save 25% on our lowest available fare with Saver Fares.
I tried plugging in NYP-PHL, and typical Saver was $39. On the blackout dates it was $45.

The Acela terms are 7 days in advance.

You could always just call. The fares are supposed to be automatically listed. The Amtrak operators might have a better handle on stuff like fare codes.

You're talking Labor Day weekend. A very busy travel weekend, like any other major holiday.

Anyway, how are you reaching a $97 fare? That's not a price point that I see offered between those city pairs. Are you also trying you use a AAA, student, or senior discount too?

I see fares that date for $39 on Regionals/Keystones, and $69 on Acela. In fact, 16 out of the 29 trains offered that day have fares available at $39. They're not all at the choosiest of times, however. There's nothing at that fare after 5:15am until 11:25am, because those hours will be peak time in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back