Amtrak in College Towns

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DET63

Conductor
Has Amtrak ever looked at the pros and cons of scheduling either LD or short-haul services through college towns with an eye to making the services attractive to college students? I would think that most college students, if given an opportunity to travel by Amtrak, would do so—even if they don't do so now. Here are some issues that might be considered:

1. Friday afternoon departures, and Sunday evening arrivals, scheduled in the most likely direction of travel for most students, even if at different times from trips made on other days of the week.
  2. Storage space for bikes, backpacks, etc., either in a baggage car, NPCU, or within the coaches themselves.
  3. Rewards programs similar to AGR for students who frequently travel to and from their college or university by Amtrak.

My guess is that students, especially those who are most likely to be politically active, would use enhanced "student-friendly" services, and would be more than willing to act as citizen advocates or even professional lobbyists for Amtrak at the state and federal levels. It also shouldn't be hard to convince them that Amtrak trains are "greener" than other forms of transport, including buses.

I think that's a great idea..especially with the political climate like you said. I took the Lakeshore LTD from Albany to Worcester MA back in the mid 90s when I was at college in Albany NY and I loved it. You are right about schedules but Amtrak could really sell the service given they provide student discounts already.

An excellent idea with lots of potential for sure!Living in a two college towns(Austin and San Marcos,both TE

stops)I noticed lots of students catching the trains around holidays and end of semester periods but not many

on the regular days!The ability to check bikes like on the Cascade trains without having to box them helps

alot as well as accepting large backpacks and excess luggage when the students are going home or on extended

trips!I understand some of the North Eastern trains only run @ certain times mainly for students benefit,

perhaps Amtrak could market @ colleges like so many companies do to get em young and increase business!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak frequently advertises in the Univerisyt of Oklahoma student rag, listing not only Heartland Flyer fares, but fares to connecting cities such as Austin, San Antonio and Chicago. Student ridership seems good during the school year, and should get better once the northern service ties into the Southwest Chief route.

The Illinois Amtrak supported trains serve a variety of major state colleges:

Chicago-St. Louis: Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan at Bloomington-Normal

Chicago-Carbondale: University of Illinois at Champaign; Eastern Illinois University at Charleston (station stop Mattoon), Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.

Chicago-Quincy: Western Illinois University at Macomb

Of course all the major institutions in the Chicago area have Amtrak service: University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Chicago, Northwestern University; Loyola University, Columbia College, DePaul University, Roosevelt University, etc.

The only major institution of higher learning in Illinois without train service is Northern Illinois University at DeKalb. This school could easily be served by an extension of Metra's UP West, which ends at Elburn, about 20-25 miles away.

Making it easier to transport bikes and running extra trains at the beginning and end of semester would be a great idea.

Students from PGH and CLE frequent the CL for going between CHI and WAS very quickly and usually cheaply in coach.

The Heartland Flyer does a special run to Dallas for the TX-OU weekend.

I wish the TE could actually go to Waco instead of stop in Mcgregor. Most of the studends at my old school, Baylor, don't even know there is a train just 15 miles from Waco.

When I was at UA in Tuscaloosa, I used to use the Crescent to ride up to Birmingham or Atlanta to catch flights home or down to New Orleans for a fun weekend. It always arrived at a very reasonable hour during the day. They heavily advertised in the university newspaper and on weekends did fairly well with student ridership.

They need to bring back service along the full former Monon Route from Chicago to Louisville. This line was known as the college line serving Purdue at West Lafayette, Wabash College at Crawfordsville, DePaw at Greencastle, IU at Bloomington and smaller schools along the line. When I attended IU, the Thoroughbred was still running for the 1966 and part of the 1967 school year. The train still averaged 65 passengers a day and many were college students. Amtrak brought service back along the line in 1975 to 1979 when the Floridian was rerouted between Chicago and Louisville. It picked up a large following of college students at Bloomington specially around Spring break since the fares from Bloomington to Florida were reasonable. Amtrak still uses the Chicago to Crawfordsville portion of the route for the Cardinal/Hoosier State. Monon even painted their passenger locos and cars red and grey for Indiana and frieght locos black and gold for Purdue. Towards the end all locos and passenger equipment was painted black and gold for Purdue of West Lafayette where the Administrative headquarters and main shops were located.

There is a push in Iowa to extend the upcoming Chicago/Quad Cities service to Iowa City in hopes of attracting significant numbers of University of Iowa students. Like most states, Iowa is experiencing budget difficulties, however, and it is a long way from certain that it will be accomplished.

When I went to the University of Florida (in the 1970's), I traveled there often by train. At that time there was a train station in Waldo (about 10+ miles from Gainesville). My first trip to college was by train (my clothes were shipped with a friend). My younger sister, who lived in Miami at the time, often took the train to visit. Taking the train was a convenient, economical way to travel while I was in college (and now too).

Amtrak is extremely well-used by students at Philadelphia-area colleges, thanks to the Pennsylvania RR. Swarthmore College, Bryn Mawr College, Haverford College, and Villanova University all have their own train stations within one block of campus giving students a fast, direct train straight to 30th St. (And obviously, city trolley and bus lines connect UPenn, Drexel, Temple, etc, with 30th St.) Huge numbers of students take Amtrak for holiday travel home. Not so much for "weekend trips", owing to far-cheaper options to New York, though.

Amtrak is extremely well-used by students at Philadelphia-area colleges, thanks to the Pennsylvania RR. Swarthmore College, Bryn Mawr College, Haverford College, and Villanova University all have their own train stations within one block of campus giving students a fast, direct train straight to 30th St. (And obviously, city trolley and bus lines connect UPenn, Drexel, Temple, etc, with 30th St.) Huge numbers of students take Amtrak for holiday travel home. Not so much for "weekend trips", owing to far-cheaper options to New York, though.
Amtrak has Student Advantage, a membership organization that offers student discounts for travel; they also - as noted above - advertise in student newspapers and on campus. There is also an affiliation with many of the Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU) that involve Amtrak Ambassadors on campus that are chosen by the administration/financial aid departments. They receive annual tickets for travel to and from school. Auto Train also has a large number of students who use that service to and from school. It is hard to find an Amtrak route that does not have a relationship with the college student population. There is also a Campus Visit program that allows parents to accompany a student to visit prospective colleges - the parents are offered half rate.

So are Amtrak California trains. I love seeing the Coast Starlight riding through Cal Poly San Luis Obispo campus. It's too numerous to list the universities that are being served by Amtrak trains such as Cal Poly, Santa Barbara, etc.

One big problem is that college students, even more than professionals, are often pressed for time.

As you said, Friday evening through Sunday evening... that doesn't leave much time for ten hours of travel each way. A "grown up" could take a vacation day, but a college kid is at the mercy of the course schedule.

There are also issues of safety: momma doesn't want her little princess sleeping in coach next to a stranger, but sleeping accommodations are pretty expensive.

In the end, sure, Amtrak needs to be mindful of the student customers, but the deficiencies in the service affect students as they affect everyone else: Amtrak needs faster routes--we're talking highway speeds, not HSR--and accommodations between coach and 1st class.

I would disagree that college people don't have a lot of time. UNC students love the Piedmont-- and it isn't a ten hour ride. I wouldn't think many people would consider a ten hour trip each way a day trip--

IMHO, one would need to convince these colleges/universities to provide subsidies, possibly large subsidies, to offset costs during "non peak" student travel. Who, exactly, is willing step up to obtain such a financial commitment from them?

Its been a few decades for me, but I seem to remember there being a lot of travel right before and right after major college vacation periods, and relatively little for all other times.

Or is this one of those great ideas, as long as someone else pays?

IMHO, one would need to convince these colleges/universities to provide subsidies, possibly large subsidies, to offset costs during "non peak" student travel. Who, exactly, is willing step up to obtain such a financial commitment from them?
Its been a few decades for me, but I seem to remember there being a lot of travel right before and right after major college vacation periods, and relatively little for all other times.

Or is this one of those great ideas, as long as someone else pays?
Umm--colleges are in trouble with cash as it is...

College discounts, such as the SA discount card, are great programs and encourage travel.

One big problem is that college students, even more than professionals, are often pressed for time.
As you said, Friday evening through Sunday evening... that doesn't leave much time for ten hours of travel each way. A "grown up" could take a vacation day, but a college kid is at the mercy of the course schedule.

There are also issues of safety: momma doesn't want her little princess sleeping in coach next to a stranger, but sleeping accommodations are pretty expensive.

In the end, sure, Amtrak needs to be mindful of the student customers, but the deficiencies in the service affect students as they affect everyone else: Amtrak needs faster routes--we're talking highway speeds, not HSR--and accommodations between coach and 1st class.
Friday evening? You're obviously out of touch with today's college crowd - classes are scheduled to end as early as possible on Fridays, and are missed routinely (doubly so on Friday).

Your thoughts on accommodations are way off too - you greatly underestimate the freedom and independence of college kids. Sleeping in coach is a step up in some cases and no big deal.

One time when I rode the southbound City of New Orleans back in the pre-Superliner days, they dumped all the University of Illinois and Southern Illinois University students in the Dome Coach so, as one Conductor explained, the rest of us could have a nice quiet ride. Of course today with all their MP3s, laptops and other electronics they tend to be to themselves unless you get a Greenhorn who is on his or her first ride expressing amazement over the whole experience and calling all their friends telling them about their new "discovery."

When I went to the University of Florida (in the 1970's), I traveled there often by train. At that time there was a train station in Waldo (about 10+ miles from Gainesville). My first trip to college was by train (my clothes were shipped with a friend). My younger sister, who lived in Miami at the time, often took the train to visit. Taking the train was a convenient, economical way to travel while I was in college (and now too).
Unfortunately, in recent years Florida has witnessed Amtrak eliminate rail service to both UF in Gainesville (via Waldo), as well as FSU and FAMU in Tallahassee. I suppose we can expect that eventually Tallahassee's service will be restored, but I think Amtrak will need to reinstate trains along Florida's S-Line to significantly attract the 50K+ students from UF in Gainesville. Thruway Motorcoach service isn't going to cut it... even with money-concious students.

Amtrak could stand to improve their marketing efforts in college newspapers and campuses. I came to Tampa initially to attend the University of South Florida, and lived here for over 15 years before I realized I could take the train home instead of sitting in traffic on Interstate 4. Plus, taking Amtrak instead of driving gives one more time to study!

There is a push in Iowa to extend the upcoming Chicago/Quad Cities service to Iowa City in hopes of attracting significant numbers of University of Iowa students. Like most states, Iowa is experiencing budget difficulties, however, and it is a long way from certain that it will be accomplished.
Actually, I'm fairly confident it'll happen. Three sources of funding are already lined up, and another is possible. Link

*In February 2009, Congressman Phil Hare secured $475,000 for Quad City track improvements in the FY 09 Omnibus Appropriations Act.

*In May 2009, the State of Iowa passed $3 million for the Iowa Passenger Rail Fund to be used to begin rail improvements or match federal funds.

*In July 2009, the State of Illinois passed $150 million for Amtrak improvements and $400 million for high speed rail improvements in a state capital bill.

And the possible is:

*In February 2009, President Obama and Congress passed $8 billion for intercity and high speed rail improvements in the ARRA stimulus package. Illinois and Iowa submitted a $63 million pre-application to fund the Chicago-Quad Cities-Iowa City route on July 10th.

One big problem is that college students, even more than professionals, are often pressed for time.. . .

Pressed for time? With laptops and access to electrical outlets, the train actually gives you time.

The stranger in the next seat is probably a lot safer companion for "momma's little princess" than most of the males she sees on campus.

Friday evening? You're obviously out of touch with today's college crowd - classes are scheduled to end as early as possible on Fridays, and are missed routinely (doubly so on Friday).
Your thoughts on accommodations are way off too - you greatly underestimate the freedom and independence of college kids. Sleeping in coach is a step up in some cases and no big deal.
Funny. Very recently my profession specifically involved understanding and being in touch with college students, developing programs for them and studying the ongoing evolution of students and campuses across the country and particularly in the South. My profession still has me interacting personally with college students on a daily basis, and my sense of their needs and position is confirmed constantly.

The literature shows that millennials, with their helicopter parents and demand for personal space (which you might confuse with independence... it's actually the opposite), would not be very well served by Amtrak's sleeping arrangements, and even if classes let out earlier in the day (a trend that's certainly not universal) ten hours is still a lot of lost weekend when, as in many cases, a car could get them to their destination in half the time.

As a quick illustration of this, consider that colleges across the country are spending billions to upgrade their dorms because the students so dislike the thought of sharing a bedroom. Dorm occupancy dropped like a rock when the millennials showed up, and yet that's who Amtrak would have to market to today with the same overnight product that these students already rejected.

As with everything else, sure Amtrak can pick off the exceptions to the rule, and that's what we're seeing now. But if you want to expand service to the norm then you have to address the needs of the common student. I don't think Amtrak's up to the task.

And, of course, I'm mainly talking about LD travel here. Amtrak's probably fine for commuter-range travel, but once you talk about going halfway across a state things start looking different.

Pressed for time? With laptops and access to electrical outlets, the train actually gives you time.
The stranger in the next seat is probably a lot safer companion for "momma's little princess" than most of the males she sees on campus.
I don't think "safer than the predators on campus" is going to be a great marketing campaign in this case.

It's certainly irrational, but it is what it is: no matter how safe the train might be, princess is going to be sleeping with what might very well be a strange, older man. After watching parent after parent disinfect their kid's dorm room before making the kid's bed, I have a hard time seeing the parent happily accepting that arrangement. They'd prefer to get the kid home faster to sleep in her own bed. Yes, driving is certainly more dangerous, but this is about perception, not reason.

As for trains giving you time, generally I'd say the kid traveling from college is heading off to see his family, not changing venues for coursework. The train that takes twice as long to get there eats up visiting time. It's little consolation that the time can be spent with a few work resources at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back