amtrak in Baltimore

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iowa train fan

Train Attendant
My daughter (19) and her friend are going to Baltimore Convention Center for a Anime Convention in July. Will they be safe making the trip on their own? How far and how much would cab fare be from station to the convention center? She is not a seasoned train traveler but we did it about a month ago and she feels comfortable making the trip. Do you have any advice or concerns we should think about. Thank you

I went to Baltimore last summer for a conference near the convention center. There is a free bus called the Charm City Circulator that will pick you up at Baltimore Penn and take you down to the inner harbor/convention center area. I rode that with my two children and had no problems. I think it was the purple line. You can google Charm City Circulator and find the route and info.

A cab would be in the $10 to $15 price range depending on traffic and tip. There is a cab stand directly in front of the station and cabs are almost always there waiting. Cabs or the Circulator should be safe, especially during the day.

Generally, the areas you are talking about in Baltimore are fairly safe. But like in any city or even the suburbs, you need to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings.

Another option for transportation is to take the light rail. It terminiates right in the Amtrak station and will take you right across the street from the convention center. To get to the convention center, it is easy, it will be the only train choice from the station. To get back, you need to look for a light rail that is going to Penn Station (other options going in that direction (north) are Hunt Valley or Timonium). If you get on the wrong train, you will need to get off and transfer to the correct light rail at Univeristy of Maryland Mount Royal Stop (which in reality is only a few blocks from the station which you could walk to the station if you wanted to from here). I think trains run about every 30 minutes to/from Penn Station. I think it is about $1.50 each way. You buy tickets before boarding and it is the honor system to get on/off.

The charm city circulator is free and operated by very helpful drivers. My wife, 5 year old grandson and I along with luggage had a easy time on it. We used it to get around town for several days.

My daughter (19) and her friend are going to Baltimore Convention Center for a Anime Convention in July. Will they be safe making the trip on their own? How far and how much would cab fare be from station to the convention center? She is not a seasoned train traveler but we did it about a month ago and she feels comfortable making the trip. Do you have any advice or concerns we should think about. Thank you
I've seen Police on trains before with K9 keeping an eye for trouble inside and outside the Northeast. Your daughter will be safe if they keep their valuables with them. Penn Station Baltimore is a very safe station. Amtrak Police are in that station and is manned 24 hours a day with Police. Nice and friendly people. $15 is a good estimate for a cab. If your daughter is fine with mass transit, Light rail is safe and reliable transportation. It also takes people closer to Otakon's core hotels than the bus does. The Hilton is at Convention Center stop and the Marriott is across the street from that stop. It does have an end time of 11 PM during the week and midnight on the weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:
From where? Are any changes of trains involved?

With any sort of reasonable caution, situational awareness, and a reasonable feel of who to trust and not trust, I would think a pair of 19 year olds should have no trouble at all.

Thank you to all for the advice, they will be traveling from Lancaster PA. They will need to switch trains in Philly. She will use the Red Cap service to help them with luggage in Philly. They will be travelling mid day. Thank you again.

Thank you to all for the advice, they will be traveling from Lancaster PA. They will need to switch trains in Philly. She will use the Red Cap service to help them with luggage in Philly. They will be travelling mid day. Thank you again.
I've been in Philly 30th street and they would be perfectly safe at that station also. Remind her to tip the Red cap at least a $1 a bag or $5-10 with a ton of luggage (let's say more than 3.). Philly has better food options in it than in Baltimore (if they are traveling around meal times).

Of course they are safe by themselves. At first I thoguh they were travelling from Iowa, but if it's just Lancaster then there is no problem.

Of course they are safe by themselves. At first I though they were traveling from Iowa, but if it's just Lancaster then there is no problem.
And what kind of problems (safety wise) do you see for travel from Iowa?

I know that this will get me in deep do-do here and at home but my wife is an Iowa girl and as far as problems with Iowa the only one that I know of are Idiots Out Wandering Aimlessly!

I know now that I Owe the World an Apology!

Oldtimer, possibly soon to be the late Oldtimer!

:giggle: :eek:hboy: :help:

Big difference between Iowa-Baltimore vs. Lancaster-Baltimore: the former is overnight with two transfers. That alone raises the bar for overall traveler maturity.

Though the whole Iowa angle was amusing.

Loved Iowa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hated to move back to the east...no offense Great people out there. I agree, would have been the length of the trip and transfers in Chicago and Washington that would off added to the stress. The friend going this time did the Iowa (Actually Omaha) to Baltimore by BUS and they survived (She was with a couple other friend) Thank you again, I think they do just need to be smart and vigilant and they will be fine. 30 TH street station does have good food options!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back