Amtrak gift card for cash?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zach

I have an Amtrak gift card and was wondering If I am able to redeem it for cash? And how to do so?

Most companies will not let you redeem gift cards for cash. I highly doubt Amtrak would be an different. That being said you could probably ebay/craigs list it for cash pretty easily.

peter

I agree! You can not go to Macy's and turn in your $100 gift card and get $100 cash, so why should Amtrak do it?
huh.gif
You could try, as said Ebay or such, but I doubt you would get full value for it.

If you really didn't want it at all, you could (not that I'm saying you should, because you may be taking that seat from someone) make a reservation, cancel it and ask for a cash refund. You would still lose 10% of the ticket's value. There may even be a restriction saying that purchases made using gift cards can only be issued as a voucher. I don't know.

I have a date I wanted to use the Amtrak card but there are no Amtrak scheduled for that time and I was told I could redeem the gift card at Amtrak and get cash for it... So I was not sure If I was able to do that but Apparently you cant do that?

I have a date I wanted to use the Amtrak card but there are no Amtrak scheduled for that time
I'm confused!
blink.gif
Except for the Sunset Limited and the Cardinal, EVERY Amtrak train operates daily, 365 days of the year! Even with the Sunset Limited and the Cardinal only operating 3 days a week, would it be possible for you to leave (for example) on Sunday instead of Saturday?
huh.gif

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have a few questions about the Amtrak gift card:

1) Can it be used in the dining car and/or lounge car? Or can it only be used for travel?

2) Does it have an expriation date?

3) Can it be purchased with a travel voucher at an Amtrak station?

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have a few questions about the Amtrak gift card:

1) Can it be used in the dining car and/or lounge car? Or can it only be used for travel?

2) Does it have an expriation date?

3) Can it be purchased with a travel voucher at an Amtrak station?
It is only for purchase of travel, not on-board the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back