Amtrak getting slammed again by New York media over NJT delay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the NY Post, the Amtrak catenary system was put up by the Pennsylvania Railroad in the 1930's and many parts of it date to that era. NJ Transit pays Amtrak $100 million per year to use the tunnels that are in bad need of upgrading but the cost is many times that, so things get a band aid fix.

; If another news article that I read was correct; NYC Metro is about to embark on a $30 billion upgrade and modernization plan of their transportation system. When a local system spends that much compared to Amtrak's recent $1.1 billion annual grant, you know things are out of line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Amtrak should close one of the Hudson Tubes sooner rather than later for a year...

If we have more weeks like the one we just had (four days of major delays), I think we are going to have a Hudson Tunnel Closure, and then Governor Sleazeball will apologize for canceling ARC...

Maybe Amtrak should close one of the Hudson Tubes sooner rather than later for a year...

If we have more weeks like the one we just had (four days of major delays), I think we are going to have a Hudson Tunnel Closure, and then Governor Sleazeball will apologize for canceling ARC...
The Governor will apologize for that, when The Donald apologizes for something.... :p

The Governor will apologize for that, when The Donald apologizes for something.... :p
I think the odds of the Donald apologizing for some of the stupid things he has said, while remote, are higher than Christie apologizing for canceling ARC. Christie will NEVER apologize for canceling ARC. Although canceling ARC as it was designed was, to be fair, a good move, he could have instead opted to have the Port Authority and NJ keep much of their ARC contributions in reserve and redesign the project in collaboration with Amtrak and the feds. But the whole point of canceling ARC was to reuse the Port Authority and NJ funds on roads and other projects and win brownie points with the national conservative establishment who could care less about transit projects in NYC.

As for the catenary and reliability problems on the NEC in NJ, where is Christie and NJT leadership with paying more for maintenance and modernization of the NEC infrastructure and, specifically, contributing to getting started on building the North Portal bridge replacement? MIA, as far as I can tell.

I think the odds of the Donald apologizing for some of the stupid things he has said, while remote, are higher than Christie apologizing for canceling ARC. Christie will NEVER apologize for canceling ARC. Although canceling ARC as it was designed was, to be fair, a good move, he could have instead opted to have the Port Authority and NJ keep much of their ARC contributions in reserve and redesign the project in collaboration with Amtrak and the feds. But the whole point of canceling ARC was to reuse the Port Authority and NJ funds on roads and other projects and win brownie points with the national conservative establishment who could care less about transit projects in NYC.

As for the catenary and reliability problems on the NEC in NJ, where is Christie and NJT leadership with paying more for maintenance and modernization of the NEC infrastructure and, specifically, contributing to getting started on building the North Portal bridge replacement? MIA, as far as I can tell.

1. Are you concerned that a tunnel closure will happen before new Gateway Tunnels get built?

2. How confident are you that Amtrak and the Port Authority will get Gateway going in the near future?

Here is a link to an Amtrak Gateway PDF from this past May... http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55196841e4b076742447c850/t/5553e513e4b00483b17a4493/1431561491984/AVitalLink_Amtrak.pdf

Actually, it is hard to fault NJT on the funding side for upkeep and improvement of the NEC infrastructure. It has contributed whenever Amtrak has seen it fit to accept contributions. Many of the high speed interlockings were funded by NJT. Catenary improvement is one area where Amtrak has been dragging its feet looking for a single huge project as opposed to addressing it piecemeal. However, the catenary between Portal and the tunnel mouth was renewed as part of the Secaucus Jct project almost entirely on NJT's dime.

The core problem faced by NJ commuters at present is as much poor and preferential dispatching by Amtrak as failures of infrastructure. Even on the best of days NJT somehow manages tog et slammed. In the same Penn Station LIRR is able to operate their half of the station with a plan so much so that one can depend on the same train generally using the same platform every day. But not on the Amtrak side, for reasons unknown.

In effect Amtrak treats non-Amtrak trains at least as badly as Amtrak is treated by freight railroads on their tracks. So I am afraid there is enough blame to go around and Amtrak is no saint. Actually there is considerable political support to strip Amtrak of its infrastructure on the NEC and give it to a separate jointly funded organization, and leave Amtrak as just a train operator competing on an open railroad based on slots priced by quality - i.e.high speed slots priced considerably higher than low speed slots etc.

The present problem appears to be with the electrification power feed causing low voltage situations in the catenary which causes trains, specially Amtrak's prized Acelas to fail catastrophically sometimes, thus blocking tracks. When that happens in tunnels well, there is not much difference between a tunnel out of service because a train is blocking it and a tunnel out of service for other reasons.

Bottom line is that a significant portion of the criticism leveled at Amtrak is quite well deserved. I know this is an unpopular message for this Amtrak cheering section here, but them are the facts as I and many others in NJ see them. No amount of ad hominems against Christie is going to fix the real management weaknesses that exist at Amtrak which partly is the root cause of many of these problems. And this coming from someone who is no admirer of or even supporter of Christie, as many of you might know.

Actually there is considerable political support to strip Amtrak of its infrastructure on the NEC and give it to a separate jointly funded organization, and leave Amtrak as just a train operator competing on an open railroad based on slots priced by quality - i.e.high speed slots priced considerably higher than low speed slots etc.
Support +1

However the "price by quality" I will hold off on supporting into I see the details.

Price by quality and time. I would think a 0900 hrs 150 mph slot into NYC would cost more than a 0200 hrs 150 mph slot. So speed has a limited value. Time would will mean more. Don't forget the freight trains, running too slow during rush should cost more than the overnight.

Added bonus would be a more clear account for the long distance fleet. The mystical overhead charges would be much clearer.

The Senate might vote on a new transportation bill tomorrow, which hopefully will include an Amtrak reauthorization.

If Booker's RIFIA provisions are included, then this could help Amtrak...

It is time for an independent review of the Hudson ( North ) river tunnels. Are these problems coming from ongoing salt water corrosion of feeder cables resulting from " Sandy " flooding ?. Suspect that replacing the feeder cables and conduit is not a weekend job and might be the 1 year shut down talked about. It might be that only the CAT contact wire at times is carrying the power thus limiting number of trains. ( Power draw ) Would like to know the power needed to climb out of the river bottom of tunnel to NYP or NJ

Actually, it is hard to fault NJT on the funding side for upkeep and improvement of the NEC infrastructure. It has contributed whenever Amtrak has seen it fit to accept contributions. Many of the high speed interlockings were funded by NJT. Catenary improvement is one area where Amtrak has been dragging its feet looking for a single huge project as opposed to addressing it piecemeal. However, the catenary between Portal and the tunnel mouth was renewed as part of the Secaucus Jct project almost entirely on NJT's dime.

The core problem faced by NJ commuters at present is as much poor and preferential dispatching by Amtrak as failures of infrastructure. Even on the best of days NJT somehow manages tog et slammed. In the same Penn Station LIRR is able to operate their half of the station with a plan so much so that one can depend on the same train generally using the same platform every day. But not on the Amtrak side, for reasons unknown.

In effect Amtrak treats non-Amtrak trains at least as badly as Amtrak is treated by freight railroads on their tracks. So I am afraid there is enough blame to go around and Amtrak is no saint. Actually there is considerable political support to strip Amtrak of its infrastructure on the NEC and give it to a separate jointly funded organization, and leave Amtrak as just a train operator competing on an open railroad based on slots priced by quality - i.e.high speed slots priced considerably higher than low speed slots etc.

The present problem appears to be with the electrification power feed causing low voltage situations in the catenary which causes trains, specially Amtrak's prized Acelas to fail catastrophically sometimes, thus blocking tracks. When that happens in tunnels well, there is not much difference between a tunnel out of service because a train is blocking it and a tunnel out of service for other reasons.

Bottom line is that a significant portion of the criticism leveled at Amtrak is quite well deserved. I know this is an unpopular message for this Amtrak cheering section here, but them are the facts as I and many others in NJ see them. No amount of ad hominems against Christie is going to fix the real management weaknesses that exist at Amtrak which partly is the root cause of many of these problems. And this coming from someone who is no admirer of or even supporter of Christie, as many of you might know.

Actually, Jis you're off base which isn't surprising. A lot of people can't see past numbers. First of all there is barely any preferential treatment in terms of the dispatching. As a matter of fact, if you look at threads on this board and others, you'll notice Amtrak's OTP continues to drop on the NEC. That is because there is a business decision that allows for saving as many commuter trains as possible to capture the OTP bonuses. Years ago, a MARC train would be held for up to 8 minutes for an Amtrak and 12 for an Acela. This is no longer the case, especially when it comes to long distance trains. In the not so distant past,, I was directly involved with a particular train that came off a freight line on time and was usually late into NYP. I noticed it was getting banged up by the NJT armada that circled NWK. After getting nowhere on an intermediate level, I approached a very, very high level employee of the division I was told point blank: do you have XX million dollars because that's how much we make for running their trains first. If you do, I will make sure your train gets through. Until then, leave the dispatchers alone. My reply was along the lines of "what good is the money if we don't have riders because they are always late." So, your thought process about preferential treatment is extremely limited in scope, particularly when the railroad is already congested.

The thing that people leave out when they claim it's hard to find fault about NJT's funding is the simple fact that NJT continues to STUFF more trains into an outdated, archaic infrastructure. Then, they have to nerve to be surprised that things are going wrong.

Before the Midtown Direct service began, there were 239 movements over Portal bridge. The original count for the Midtown Directs pinned the number at 42. These days, there are over 100 Midtown Directs (including the deadheads that aren't in the public timetable.) As if that isn't bad enough, now they are stuffing the Raritan trains into the same area that is in trouble.

And every one is surprised? if you had an old fuse box, and you keep plugging additional, energy consuming appliances into various outlets, what do you think is going to happen, particularly in the summer when energy consumption is at its peak? How much of a draw is placed on the catenary each time a NJT train starts and stops at a station? How much wear and tear is NJT putting on the contact (trolley) wires compared to Amtrak?

It is the very definition of insanity that NJT keeps pushing more trains into this extremely congested area and expects everything to be on point. The 100 million dollars they pay is likely a drop in the bucket compared to what they use. Think of all of the interlockings(and their associated costs) that could go bye-bye if NJT didn't ram so many trains onto the NEC. Think of all of the tracks that could disappear.

Shall you count them Jis?

NJT has stuffed the infrastructure to the point that their is no flexibility during peak times and increasingly, during off peak times. The easiest way to actually fix the issues on the NEC is to alleviate some of the strain. If some of the Midclowns were diverted back to Hoboken, and the Raritan Valley trains weren't using the old and strained catenary system, you'd have extra resources available.

As for stripping Amtrak of the infrastructure and give it to a separate jointly funded organization, wasn't that a talking point of the Amtrak Reform Council in 1997? You see, everything sounds good on paper but do you really think that New Jersey wants to be on the hook for the NEC through NJ? There is a reason why the farebox recovery on the NEC is considerably higher on the NEC than the rest of its system. They have higher frequencies and they are not directly responsible for the cost of maintaining the right of way. Do you really think it cost only 100 million dollars to maintain the infrastructure through New Jersey? Do you really think Delaware (one of the states that balked in 1997) is going to contribute extra funds to balance the needs of the rest of the system? New Jersey would be on the hook for far more than 100 million if they wished to preserve the current levels of usage and they know it.

From my perspective, Amtrak's main flaw is their failure to say ENOUGH. They should tell NJT to keep their money for the additional slots and say we can not handle any more trains into or out of Penn Station or across the high line. Easing the load will reduce the congestion and loads on the catenary.

But, we all know that is not going to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if these recent tunnel issues--including from THIS MORNING--have to do with Sandy-related damage.

If Amtrak does end up closing one of the tubes, and people who live in New Jersey who commute to Manhattan become very upset about this, they can man up and thank the knucklehead who they voted for their disastrous commute into Manhattan.

Does anyone know of any recent Gateway updates?

From my perspective, Amtrak's main flaw is their failure to say ENOUGH. They should tell NJT to keep their money for the additional slots and say we can not handle any more trains into or out of Penn Station or across the high line. Easing the load will reduce the congestion and loads on the catenary.

But, we all know that is not going to happen.
Yup. i was just giving the other perspective. And we can agree to disagree on certain details and still be friends I hope. At the end of the day it is all politics, and everyone looking to preserve their own interests the best they can.

I think the Wicker Booker proposal that is in the proposed “Railroad Reform, Enhancement, and Efficiency Act,” strikes a reasonable realistic compromise position. It retains sufficient control with Amtrak to reasonably run the operations and gives some added supervisory powers to the Commission, though not as much as the House PRRIA 2015 gave.

Amtrak afterall is not a normal corporation, nor is it a normal department of the federal government. it is an odd creature of politics which got an infrastructure foisted on it as a matter of immediate convenience, far expanding its charter from the original one that it got in 1971. And everyone is still figuring out how to make the whole thing work while not funding it adequately. It really is not a matter of just NJT vs. Amtrak. The issue is much broader, and that is why we get a new "Reform Act" every year in the guise of a new authorization.

While it may feel like it never is Amtrak's fault from the inside, and indeed it is seldom the fault of the line workers, the view as I have pointed out, justly or otherwise, is quite different from outside of Amtrak, and both sides will have to learn to live with that tension and learn to move forward with compromises to live together, and all this in a continuing tight funding situation, until the happy day when Amtrak is able to generate enough resources internally to meet all operating needs. For peculiar accounting reasons capital dollars are easier to come by than operating grants.

We gave a huge amount of feedback to Senator Booker on what he should or should not put into his bill, and we generally discouraged any action that would make it harder for Amtrak to run the NEC or do anything towards separating the infrastructure from Amtrak on the NEC at this time. That issue needs to be addressed at some point but now is not the right time for it. In addition a lot of feedback was given on the total accounting mess that Amtrak has created somehow in connection with the PRIIA Section 209 pricing and at least providing the mechanism to revisit and fix it, which appears in the proposed bill. The other major concern is with providing a mechanism for increasing service and introducing new trains outside of the NEC, something that has also been addressed. The big elephant in the room is allocated costs with some secret formula that Amtrak is either unwilling or unable to clearly explain to anyone. For some unknown reason Amtrak has far far higher proportion of its costs allocated than any other comparable transportation company. Without fixing that problem there is a general accountability of what exactly is happening on the cost side of things.

Anyway, while not perfect, I think the dialogue is working and progress is being made in small steps.

As part of the PRIIA 2009 Section 212 in the near future the charges paid by the Commuter agencies on the NEC will go up significantly, over the major objection of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, which actually owns the ROW in Massachusetts. NJ in particular has not objected to the proposal, though it will be interesting to see where they find the additional money from absent a significant rise in their fuel tax, which might finally come to pass, notwithstanding the present Governors Presidential aspirations. This will bring some additional resources to bear on the infrastructure maintenance and SOGR side of things

As for NJT adding trains, at each stage they were agreed to by Amtrak, so it is not as if NJT added the trains without Amtrak's consent. So to claim later that it was not Amtrak's problem is a bit disingenuous. If it was really that bad they should have refused. Of course the fact that Amtrak is beholden to the NJT legislators in Congress for their funding makes this an interesting negotiating situation, so I do sympathize with Amtrak's management to some extent. But it stands to reason that if they accept a certain number of trains as part of a contract for a certain amount of contract payment, then it becomes their problem to run those trains the best they can. These contracts are negotiated (used to be) every two years, so things can be changed based on experience. Of course no matter what one does someone has to take the heat. Of course we could agree that it is possibly an Amtrak management problem and not a dispatcher problem.

About Raritan trains, I thought the reason that there are no through Raritan trains during rush hours was precisely because there is no available slots. Has that changed recently? OTOH why would it be a problem to run a through Raritan train in the middle of the afternoon? The NJCL through trains are one for one replacement of Long Branch trains so that should be a wash.

jis, on 25 Jul 2015 - 1:28 PM, said:

Yup. i was just giving the other perspective. And we can agree to disagree on certain details and still be friends I hope. At the end of the day it is all politics, and everyone looking to preserve their own interests the best they can.
C'mon Jis! We're on two boards together (well, one and a half since the other one is usually shut down due to technical difficulties :hi: ). There is nothing personal about this. I want people to disagree and wouldn't have it any other way. How else will horizons be broadened? Make your points and let's see if they hold up. Even if we don't come to the same conclusion, I still hold people that take their time to type a response in high esteem. Besides, when have you every known me to hold grudges? Wait...don't answer that. I think Acela150 already covered it. ^_^

jis, on 25 Jul 2015 - 1:28 PM, said:

As for NJT adding trains, at each stage they were agreed to by Amtrak, so it is not as if NJT added the trains without Amtrak's consent. So to claim later that it was not Amtrak's problem is a bit disingenuous. If it was really that bad they should have refused. Of course the fact that Amtrak is beholden to the NJT legislators in Congress for their funding makes this an interesting negotiating situation, so I do sympathize with Amtrak's management to some extent. But it stands to reason that if they accept a certain number of trains as part of a contract for a certain amount of contract payment, then it becomes their problem to run those trains the best they can. These contracts are negotiated (used to be) every two years, so things can be changed based on experience. Of course no matter what one does someone has to take the heat. Of course we could agree that it is possibly an Amtrak management problem and not a dispatcher problem.
Agreed. I would like to allow that this all started with a previous president who decided that NJT could operate 4 trains per Amtrak and also allowed a cap on Amtrak trains during rush hour. It was not a big surprise that this same person mysteriously ended up in charge at NJT. :blink:

However, that was some time ago and I'm sure the operating agreement has come up for renewal/amendment numerous times. My personal belief is that when you are always on the hunt for revenue, you may not consider not all revenue is not "good revenue." So, while the money for the slots and bonuses look good, what are you really signing? Is it realistic? Is it typically attainable? Are you setting yourself up for a public relations nightmare? Does it matter since you have to work to appease the various parties so you may remain in control of your own territory?

All good points, Jis.

jis, on 25 Jul 2015- 1:28PM, said

About Raritan trains, I thought the reason that there are no through Raritan trains during rush hours was precisely because there is no available slots. Has that changed recently? OTOH why would it be a problem to run a through Raritan train in the middle of the afternoon? The NJCL through trains are one for one replacement of Long Branch trains so that should be a wash.
My position on the Raritan Valley Trains is the same as it was with the Midclowns. You can run them in off peak, but you are closing the window of opportunity to manipulate and straighten out your territory if (and by that I mean "when") something ultimately occurs. It may not sound like much, but four trains an hour can really impact things when there is a disruption or a scheduled outage. That train is hogging a track that could be used for something else. It take "x" amount of minutes for this additional train to clear if you want to reverse traffic. It is one more train that has to go by before maintenance can begin. It is one more train stopped at Portal. More importantly, it is one more train that wasn't previously attached to the catenary and is now trying to draw power to climb a 2% grade to get in one of the most congested terminals on the NEC.

To put it another way, if anyone is familiar with the Pulaski Skyway in New Jersey, you know that trucks have been prohibited on it for years. They credit the fact that trucks are banned to why this structurally deficient and obsolete bridge (which is being rebuilt) is still standing. Knowing this bridge is functionally obsolete and being used past its intended usage, no one would be crazy enough to to allow trucks to pummel the infrastructure, create more congestion and rob it of additional life expectancy.

In my (admittedly unscientific) opinion, this is what is happening in the NEC. The constant use and introduction of additional trains on to an outdated infrastructure is robbing years off the components.. Yet, there is an effort to put more stress on the system.

Even though it may be necessary, It doesn't seem normal.

Yeah, the power feed issue is becoming quite critical. The added static converter capacity (or is it rotary at Metuchen) could not come too soon. All this low voltage issue is most likely caused by attempting to draw more power than is available from the source or the cables supplying the catenary can carry.

For this reason I have generally been advocating only one for one replacement of NJT trains one outward terminal for another. However, the politics within NJ is exquisite and completely disconnected from reality involving the firm beliefs in the existence of tooth fairy and Santa Claus whose benevolence can bring unbelievable gifts for which no one has to pay anything. Have a chat with anyone from the Raritan Valley Rail Coalition if in doubt.

Fortunately Ronnie Hakim seems to understand, unlike her predecessor. She seems to have beaten down the latest unrealistic demands. One thing that is unlikely to happen and that the RVL folks need to understand is that slots thata re already assigned to other routes during rush hours will not be taken away from them to gift them to RVL. The sooner they understand and take the lumps and go on, the loewr will be their doctor's and psychiatrists bills.

The situation between NJT and Amtrak is somewhat analogous to the situation between banks and mortgage holders. Promises are made for short term considerations with expectation to be filled over the long term based n unrealistic assumptions. And when one thing in a long chain of assumptions breaks, the house of cards collapses very spectacularly. We may be witnessing such a case of the chicken coming home to roost at this moment on the NEC in NJ/NY

JIS: It is a new static converter believe from Siemens. It may be 2. Believe that once the converter(s) in service the rotary converter will be rehabbed.

Your analysis of RVL is correct and it may be it and mid town direct will need to go to Hoboken. Until we know for sure what is causing the power problem any analysis is premature. Otherwise the 1yr + closing of a tunnel may happen much sooner.

Of course if feeders are down the CAT may be able to service one at a time train. We have no idea if Sunnyside converter is providing all power needed for NYP and maybe 1/2 of North river tunnels.

Isn't this pretty much the reason that LIRR fought for and eventually won the right to jointly handle the dispatching on their side of Penn Station? If that is working out, perhaps it can serve as a model for a similar setup with NJT?

LIRR actually purchased the slots in Penn Station when they were put up for sale at one time. So they genuinely control that part of Penn Station. There is nothing that Amtrak can do to change that, hence their inclusion in controlling Penn Station. That is also why they will be able to hold on to all that even when they move part of their ops to Grand Central.

NJT OTOH does not own anything at Penn Station. It leases whatever it uses there. Hence the LIRR model cannot be applied directly at least to NJT.

In addition a lot of feedback was given on the total accounting mess that Amtrak has created somehow in connection with the PRIIA Section 209 pricing and at least providing the mechanism to revisit and fix it, which appears in the proposed bill.
There is a core problem in that the bill *again* attempts to force Amtrak to allocate shared, national costs to individual business lines. I consider that madness.

----

FWIW, the other great advantage LIRR has over NJT is that there are four tubes under the East River. LIRR uses two of them pretty much exclusively, and intrudes into the "Amtrak tubes" only occasionally. NJT is trying to shoehorn its entire run into the same tubes as Amtrak.

Yeah, the power feed issue is becoming quite critical. The added static converter capacity (or is it rotary at Metuchen) could not come too soon. All this low voltage issue is most likely caused by attempting to draw more power than is available from the source or the cables supplying the catenary can carry.

For this reason I have generally been advocating only one for one replacement of NJT trains one outward terminal for another. However, the politics within NJ is exquisite and completely disconnected from reality involving the firm beliefs in the existence of tooth fairy and Santa Claus whose benevolence can bring unbelievable gifts for which no one has to pay anything. Have a chat with anyone from the Raritan Valley Rail Coalition if in doubt.

Fortunately Ronnie Hakim seems to understand, unlike her predecessor. She seems to have beaten down the latest unrealistic demands. One thing that is unlikely to happen and that the RVL folks need to understand is that slots thata re already assigned to other routes during rush hours will not be taken away from them to gift them to RVL. The sooner they understand and take the lumps and go on, the loewr will be their doctor's and psychiatrists bills.

The situation between NJT and Amtrak is somewhat analogous to the situation between banks and mortgage holders. Promises are made for short term considerations with expectation to be filled over the long term based n unrealistic assumptions. And when one thing in a long chain of assumptions breaks, the house of cards collapses very spectacularly. We may be witnessing such a case of the chicken coming home to roost at this moment on the NEC in NJ/NY
And yet again, there are delays due to wire issues near Penn Station.

It is not like there is a heat wave today, or some severe storm that is causing wire issues.

Something tells me that a Hudson Tunnel closure will happen in the not too distant future.

JIS: It is a new static converter believe from Siemens. It may be 2. Believe that once the converter(s) in service the rotary converter will be rehabbed.

Your analysis of RVL is correct and it may be it and mid town direct will need to go to Hoboken. Until we know for sure what is causing the power problem any analysis is premature. Otherwise the 1yr + closing of a tunnel may happen much sooner.

Of course if feeders are down the CAT may be able to service one at a time train. We have no idea if Sunnyside converter is providing all power needed for NYP and maybe 1/2 of North river tunnels.
Do you know why Mitsubishi Electric did not get the contract for the new converters?

FWIW, the other great advantage LIRR has over NJT is that there are four tubes under the East River. LIRR uses two of them pretty much exclusively, and intrudes into the "Amtrak tubes" only occasionally. NJT is trying to shoehorn its entire run into the same tubes as Amtrak.
LIRR uses Lines 1 and 2 often. Off peak it can get by without them, but during the rush hour the loss of the reverse peak one leads to cancellations and westbound trains offloading at Jamaica; the loss of the peak one can lead to hourlong AM delays / PM mass chaos just like NJT.

LIRR uses Lines 1 and 2 often. Off peak it can get by without them, but during the rush hour the loss of the reverse peak one leads to cancellations and westbound trains offloading at Jamaica; the loss of the peak one can lead to hourlong AM delays / PM mass chaos just like NJT.
I was thinking exactly that. It would be a remarkable feat for LIRR to run everything including deadheads that it brings into/out of NYP using just two tubes and just occasionally using the other tubes. I would say that it very regularly uses at least one of the other tubes if not both.

I was thinking exactly that. It would be a remarkable feat for LIRR to run everything including deadheads that it brings into/out of NYP using just two tubes and just occasionally using the other tubes. I would say that it very regularly uses at least one of the other tubes if not both.
Any updates on the plans to close Line or Line 2 for a year to due Hurricane Sandy rebuilding?
Any updates on the plans to close Line 1 or Line 2 for a year to due Hurricane Sandy rebuilding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back