amtrak food

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trainfan

Does anyone have a more recent menu than 2004, or snack bar prices. We will be traveling on the Southwest Chief and it has been hard finding information that is recent. Thanks for any help. :)

See if this helps.

73627009-L.jpg

FWIW, Mr. FSS, the cafe car attendent during my ride HAR-GNB on #43 back in January attempted to sell me the deck of playing cards for $5.00. When I pointed out the card said $4.00, he said, "Uhh, they haven't updated the price yet."

He ended up honoring the $4.00 price, after a bit of harumphing.

Also, the half bottle of wine is a 375 ml one. Better to buy it than individual glasses, especially if you have a companion that likes wine.

Sam Damon said:
FWIW, Mr. FSS, the cafe car attendent during my ride HAR-GNB on #43 back in January attempted to sell me the deck of playing cards for $5.00.  When I pointed out the card said $4.00, he said, "Uhh, they haven't updated the price yet."
I guess he was including his $1 "gratuity" as a convenience. ;)

If you're looking for something in the dining car, breakfast and lunch ranges from $6.00 to $9.00 and Dinner ranges from $8.25 to $19.00. this doesn't include drinks or dessert ($3.00 - $5.00 extra for desert).

They are using SDS, but overall, both my wife and I found it to be good with a few minor complaints.

Dan

PRR 60 said:
Sam Damon said:
FWIW, Mr. FSS, the cafe car attendent during my ride HAR-GNB on #43 back in January attempted to sell me the deck of playing cards for $5.00.  When I pointed out the card said $4.00, he said, "Uhh, they haven't updated the price yet."
I guess he was including his $1 "gratuity" as a convenience. ;)
I rather doubt that.

He has to make up the shortage out of his own pocket. When returns to base, he must turn in enough cash to cover everything missing from inventory at the prices that Amtrak expects him to sell it at. Even if they haven't given him new signs.

That lounge menu will vary somewhat around the country; I worked the Pacific Surfliner yesterday, and the had Arrogant ******* ale (not on this menu) for 5$; also there were other items not on that menu, and some that the menu above shows that didn't exist on the surfliner - as far as the SWC, I was on it last week, and dinner selections range from $8.50 to $19.00 - average prices are down, because the burger and pizza that used to be available only at lunch are now available at dinner; be warned, however, that for breakfast the variety and quality are both WAY down, and the prices are WAY up - breakfast used to be the best deal for the dining car, but no longer.

One food which I hope they NEVER stop selling is the 7-inch microwave cheese pizzas in the lounge car. Those things are so good (and so inexpensive too)! People don't believe me when I tell them that the Amtrak pizza is among the best I have ever tasted.

An ideal lunch for me is a cheese pizza, a bottle of apple juice, and one of those big soft chocolate-chip cookies eaten in the upper level of the lounge car while watching the scenery go by.

If there's a conspicuously posted sign up showing a price for an item, either the sign comes down or has the price changed on it before the sale, or it sells for that amount. The sign is a contractual offer by the company (Amtrak) to the customer (passenger) to sell the item for that amount, and when you proffer that amount of cash to the employee selling the products, you have created an executory contract which Amtrak is bound to honor. The employer (Amtrak) would be committing theft or extortion against the employee if it tried to exact more money out of the employee than the amount the sign said the product was to sell for. it is Amtrak's legal obligation to see to it that the signage is correct, and their liability, not the employee's, if the signage is incorrect, unless that employee had been specifically directed to change the signage beforehand. If the company is doing otherwise, the union ought to be jumping all over them about it, even to the extent of seeking prosecution for theft or extortion against whoever in the company is trying to get the employee to make up the difference.

Does anyone have an opinion on the quality or rather the taste of the Cheeseburgers these days? I didn't see very much on the old snack bar menu that looked very appetising.

THX....BD

Boxcar Dummy said:
Does anyone have an opinion on the quality or rather the taste of the Cheeseburgers these days? I didn't see very much on the old snack bar menu that looked very appetising.THX....BD
The cheeseburgers are tasty, especially if you douse them with a bit of ketchup and other condiments. I was surprised by just how well my last crummysnackbar cheeseburger tasted.

I would guess it is around 1/3-pound (for you metric types, about 150 grams) in weight. Microwavable food has vastly improved in the decades since Amtrak started. I wouldn't have gone near a crummysnackbar burger in the 1980's. Today, we're lucky to even have a crummysnackbar on a train, and fortunately, the microwavable food has improved to the point where I could tolerate it on a longish trip.

As for other meat items, my son attested the chicken wings (packaged by Tyson) tasted pretty good to him. But I'm not a chicken wing aficionado.

The cheeseburgers are tasty, especially if you douse them with a bit of ketchup and other condiments. I was surprised by just how well my last crummysnackbar cheeseburger tasted.
:lol: Thanks Sam. Reminds me of my military day's. We would kill the taste of the powdered eggs with ketchup, then too kill the taste of the cheap ketchup, we would drench it with Tabasco sauce.

There was no hope or help for the powdered milk.... :D

Boxcar Dummy said:
:lol:  Thanks Sam.  Reminds me of my military days. We would kill the taste of the powdered eggs with ketchup, then too kill the taste of the cheap ketchup, we would drench it with Tabasco sauce.There was no hope or help for the powdered milk.... :D
Powdered eggs were out of the inventory when I was in the military -- but my dad was in the military when it was. To this day he puts ketchup on more stuff than I thought possible. :lol:

FWIW, Amtrak didn't have cheap ketchup on my last trip. IIRC, all the condiments had the Heinz label on them. OTOH, I was on the Pennsylvanian, which terminates in Heinz's hometown...

To be honest, I'm not the world's biggest fan of the Firenza line of catering that Amtrak cafe cars use. Some of the products are decent -- like the Acela breakfast sandwich with ham, and I agree that the little pizzas are pretty good too (for what they are), but some of the other items are kind of poor. The breakfast sandwich on a bagel with cheese (I think they call it an omelet?) consistently made me sick on numerous trips.

:)

Anthony said:
To be honest, I'm not the world's biggest fan of the Firenza line of catering that Amtrak cafe cars use.  Some of the products are decent -- like the Acela breakfast sandwich with ham, and I agree that the little pizzas are pretty good too (for what they are), but some of the other items are kind of poor.  The breakfast sandwich on a bagel with cheese (I think they call it an omelet?) consistently made me sick on numerous trips.
:)
That's really good to know Anthony. I was thinking I might try the omelet next week on the Texas Eagle. I'm not seeking to offend anyone but this ole Southern boy could never develope a taste for a bagel either. I also love cheese on my burgers, mexican food and some salads but not on my scrambled eggs. Now the real question, What was I thinking on even trying the omelet? :blink:

I have heard of quiche but A tart filled with rich unsweetened custard; often contains other ingredients (as cheese or ham or seafood or vegetables) sounds nasty to me.

Has anyone tried the Bob Evans Breakfast Scramble with sausage, cottage cheese, french toast and fruit? ........BD

Boxcar Dummy said:
Has anyone tried the Bob Evans Breakfast Scramble with sausage, cottage cheese, french toast and fruit? ........BD
YUM! :) ...at least before the simplified dining service program began. I haven't tried it since then.

Had it in the dining car on my Cap Ltd. trip in April, under SDS. Though it didn't look all that scrumptious in texture, it tasted just fine. I'd order it again.

I had the Bob Evans on the EB recently, and while it sort of looked like porridge, it did taste pretty good. Not sure if it survived SDS. And when I mentioned the omelet sandwich, I wasn't referring to the dining car breakfasts -- this is just in the snack bar / lounge car. They have a brand name called "Firenza" that says "Made exclusively for Amtrak" which is sold as microwaveable fare in the snack bar.

Anthony said:
I had the Bob Evans on the EB recently, and while it sort of looked like porridge, it did taste pretty good. Not sure if it survived SDS.
It did. My mom had it this morning for breakfast. She thought that it was so-so.

AlanB said:
Anthony said:
I had the Bob Evans on the EB recently, and while it sort of looked like porridge, it did taste pretty good.  Not sure if it survived SDS.
It did. My mom had it this morning for breakfast. She thought that it was so-so.
Thanks too all for their opinions. I have often wondered in the past couple of months how SDS is actually doing in reality by the people that have tried it. I have heard it's working and not working by different officials. Would a thread on our members actual experences with the different entrees be helpful to anyone else besides me?

Sort of the Good,the bad, the ugly........BD

We travelled from Chicago to New Orleans, across to LA, and back up to Chicago on the "Chief" within the last three weeks. My son and I ate all meals in the dinner car and found them all to be reasonable, but to be honest, its far from great food. Most of our fellow American dinners were unhappy with the food, main complaint was the food was luke-warm at best.

Having said that, for us, the fun of mixing in and meeting other passengers over a meal was a highlight 3 times a day.

Ed B)

Eddie said:
We travelled from Chicago to New Orleans, across to LA, and back up to Chicago on the "Chief" within the last three weeks. My son and I ate all meals in the dinner car and found them all to be reasonable, but to be honest, its far from great food. Most of our fellow American dinners were unhappy with the food, main complaint was the food was luke-warm at best.Having said that, for us, the fun of mixing in and meeting other passengers over a meal was a highlight 3 times a day.

Ed  B)
Not to put words into your mouth Eddie, but would I be wrong if I put your opinion and others on your trip at about one step from" it was better than starvation." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back