Amtrak employees cop an attitude!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really am continously amazed at the reaction from posters on this site. I just don't understand the immediate attack to a negative comment about Amtrak or its personnel. The person vents his dissatisfaction and unpleasant experience and we get questions about his transportation to Penn Station and requests to know the other side of the story.
Folks, communication 101, you listen. You haven't even really read the post before you are slingling your judgements and opinions. I thought this was a forum about US rail travel.
Dear Guest;

Many of these posters have mega-miles on Amtrak and know how the system works. It would be much the same as an airline frequent flier web site except the mode of transportation is different. In defense of these people who care to comment I think you are heavily outweighed in responses different to yours. And yes, it is a forum. Webster's describes forum as "an opportunuity for open discussion." I believe that is exactly what is taking place~ your views included.

*** Fixed the quote. ***

Last edited by a moderator:
I have run into countless Amtrak on-train employees "wit additudes" who seem forever eager to spread their special brand of joy.

So why is it such a surprise that station employees wouldn't follow the same bad example?

Believe me, I do not EVER go around looking for trouble. I am always polite and curtious when traveling. After all, we are supposed to be able to depend upon these employees for help and guidance throughout our journeys. Yet rarely a trip goes by that there isn't at least one "loose cannon" who at the very least makes the trip memorable or at worst, makes it dreadful.

But rather than give these employees the satisfaction of thinking that they have gotten to me, I have just learned to cite times, take names and write down any other useful info and tell it to Amtrak after the trip is over.

It usually results in some sort of refund voucher so I/we can endure more abuse sometime in the future.

So until Amtrak decides to pull in the reigns on these "wild cards", I guess they will keep giving away free trips.

Not it!

1) Yes, the people on this forum tend to defend Amtrak. When I was looking to travel to Disneyworld, I found the people on that forum were huge fans of WDW, and reacted negatively to any comments. It's just human nature. Still free speech, though. I think many people post stories like this on internet forums, expecting to hear sympathy (I have no idea whether the OP expected this or not, but many people do). For example, I experienced this quite often on the WDW forum. This is somewhat reasonable behavior in most other situations - when sharing a similar story with family members, friends, or even coworkers, those people will automatically sympathize and side with you. On an internet forum, you're essentially addressing a room full of strangers - such a group would obviously have a variety of reactions.

2) The comment about the age of Amtrak sleeper passengers was interesting - I had imagined that might be the case, but hadn't heard anything. I've watched several videos on the American Orient Express / Grand Luxe, and noticed that many passengers were older. In fact, I've thought about (but could never actually afford) giving my parents a trip on Grand Luxe - they're in their mid 60s. However, I've been afraid that once they got onboard they would get offended that I sent them on a trip for the elderly!

OK, maybe I am having at attitude problem here. Everything about Peter G, both in his first post and in his explanation of why he DROVE to Manhattan screams person with hyperinflated sense of his own importance. Frankly, this is an attitude that gets my back up. I can not think of one person I have ever met that was highly impressed with his own importance that was anywhere near as important or knowledgeable as he though he was.

I don't care if he is president and owner of Megacorp or the janitor. His actions appear to be the primary cause of the reactions. The fact that he actually ended up staying on the train is an indication of coolness under pressure for the conductor. As I said earlier, if I had been it that position, at the least he would not be riding my train.

Only a government subsidized agency could get away with the theory that the customer is always wrong.

Not it!
1) Yes, the people on this forum tend to defend Amtrak. When I was looking to travel to Disneyworld, I found the people on that forum were huge fans of WDW, and reacted negatively to any comments. It's just human nature. Still free speech, though. I think many people post stories like this on internet forums, expecting to hear sympathy (I have no idea whether the OP expected this or not, but many people do). For example, I experienced this quite often on the WDW forum. This is somewhat reasonable behavior in most other situations - when sharing a similar story with family members, friends, or even coworkers, those people will automatically sympathize and side with you. On an internet forum, you're essentially addressing a room full of strangers - such a group would obviously have a variety of reactions.

2) The comment about the age of Amtrak sleeper passengers was interesting - I had imagined that might be the case, but hadn't heard anything. I've watched several videos on the American Orient Express / Grand Luxe, and noticed that many passengers were older. In fact, I've thought about (but could never actually afford) giving my parents a trip on Grand Luxe - they're in their mid 60s. However, I've been afraid that once they got onboard they would get offended that I sent them on a trip for the elderly!
You are absolutely correct! I am a fan of WDW and am a member of a couple of forums, and they are quite interesting at times.

As for the age of first class passengers, this has me thinking. I am in my 20's and have traveled many times with my parents in years past on various long distance trips, but have recently only traveled on the crescent by myself or with friends my own age. I know many of the staff on the crescent and so have never once been given a doulbe look when headed into first class, but I wonder if this would be the case on other trains. This summer I should be able to find out, if all goes according to my plan.

I also don't understand "the immediate attack on negative comments". But then, I'm only a passenger.

What's going on here? Amtrak has had a reputation for having rude employees for a very long time. Years before I joined this forum, I read it in the newspapers and I've heard it amongst friends and relatives. The words I read in the newspaper many, many years ago were "Amtrak is known for snarly employees".

Come on now, we all know this is true. So why do so many of you pounce on someone and try to place the blame on them, when they've done their darnest to explain their side???? Don't any one of you have an ounce of understanding of the situations presented to you by passengers?

:angry:

Does anyone find it interesting that we have gotten a series of these kind of stories in the last few weeks?

If I have a problem with an Amtrak employee, I too take names and talk to customer service. Now in the last few weeks, we have people writing about bad experiences...what strikes me as interesting, is that these people obviously have to use a search engine to find a forum such as this, with a mind to saying something on the forum about bad service received! I just find it odd that we have a number of unregistered posters putting up these stories...most of them would be putting it up on their blogs or writing a letter to the editor, or contacting Amtrak, not hunting down a forum to post it on. Am I way off here?

I read Peter G's comments three times and there was an element of truth in them. At the same time, though, I felt like I was reading an enhanced version of what happened. Starting with the inflammatory title and then with some of the language used. Maybe it's just me, but I would have come to the forum as an "Unregistered Guest" and perhaps asked if anyone has ever had an experience like this and what to do about it. Again, am I way off here?

And with that in mind, I've decided to start a new topic.............................................................stay tuned!

I suspect the principle of treat others as you want to be treated applies. As a passenger I try to pleasantly greet the employee boarding the train and offer my ticket as proof I am entitled to those accomodations. If going first class I try to dress like I belong there - slacks and a shirt with collar, no shorts or tee shirt. The poster may well have done these things, but usually a positive, friendly attitude is returned by all but the most surly employee.

Sorry, I didn't know a conductor has a right to restrain a passenger. However, it would seem that the envelope was pushed a bit in this situation.
Federal law (and in most cases, state law as well) authorize conductors to use physical force to restrain or eject passengers when the crewmember feels that the passenger needing restraint poses a threat to the health and safety of other passengers, or the safety of the train, or even the on-time performance of the train. true!....

I'm just going to make a quick statement.

I come from the hotel industry, not the railroad industry.

If a customer was mis-treated or felt mis-treated, and _especially_ had a high dollar room (in his case ticket), then said customer should be handled with kid gloves.

It's easy to see where this guy was annoyed.

Sounds to me like the staff at these locations are possibly overworked and underpaid, or just need a new job.

You don't have to use words like "excuse me, or please" to still come around politely and without coming off as though the customer may have done wrong.

My suggestion? Contact Amtrak Customer Service. Provide your details as you did here. Admit to your faults while pointing out theirs. Maybe an email or letter would be better so you can review what you are saying.

I would be angry too if someone grabbed me, especially after the same company just came across me rudely in a club room. I could see myself saying "***" too, I personally do not like being grabbed. If I were an employee and had grabbed a customer, I would have atleast explained myself.

I am curious as to what Amtrak's Customer Service would say and respond with. Without feedback to their management, they have no idea of what is really going on. You probably are not the first one to experience this and enough complaints usually brings around a policy change.

I do hope the OP continues to ride with Amtrak.

-Joe

Just as a clarification regarding the drive to Manhattan, The reason I drove is primarily because I use a company car thus I didn't have to pay for gas or worry about paying for parking, the company picks up both, now granted going to Manhattan via the LIRR would have taken about the same amount of time but I didn't want to take a chance in the event that there was a problem with the trains, i.e a break-down etc... and as I stated in my original post I do have regrets for cursing at the conductor but he did grab my arm and I was already in a bad mood as a result of the ClubAcela incident, so I would chalk this up partly as my fault but mostly the conductors behavior was inappropriate and he provoked me.
I hear these kinds of excuses more and more: "I was provoked, It's not my fault, I didn't do it," etc. ... anything to avoid personal responsibility. I'm an older person, well into his 60s, who is dismayed by the sight of mature, educated, and otherwise reasonable adults sinking to the level of those who "provoke" them. We are not provoked; we only allow others to provoke us. (Dogs are provoked, not reasonable people.) Mature adults do not react emotionally; they temper their behavior with logic and reason. That an Amtrak employee's behavior may have been inappropriate or even illegal does not justify the same kind of behavior on your part. Those who display calm in the midst of disquiet tend to quell the savagery; calm and reason should prevail in civil society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back