amtrak elder got thrown from train today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok why was my post deleted all i said was
still if SWAT did board the train i think it would be all over the news.
I don't know what you thought you posted, but no posts have been deleted today from this topic. I've checked the logs which would show any deletion and I've looked in the board's trashcan where any deleted posts land. There is no trace of any post being deleted by you.
Aloha Alan and amtrakwolverine

I sent a message to amtrakwolverine about my checking the same as AlanB. He described what his keystrokes were. And I suspect the message failed to post, flowing somewhere in Cyberspace.

IF (and that's a really big "IF") this story is true, this is a really brave man. Here he is, thinking he is alone on a train while terrorists have taken over the train. So he grabs an ice scraper and single-handedly ventures forth to save the day. What a man!

Think what he could do to a terrorist on an airplane with an explosive in his underpants!

I don't know what you thought you posted, but no posts have been deleted today from this topic. I've checked the logs which would show any deletion and I've looked in the board's trashcan where any deleted posts land. There is no trace of any post being deleted by you.

I sent a message to amtrakwolverine about my checking the same as AlanB. He described what his keystrokes were. And I suspect the message failed to post, flowing somewhere in Cyberspace.
I saw that original post amtrakwolverine made with the same text he later said was deleted.

I have no idea where it may have gone, but it was there to begin with.

I saw that original post amtrakwolverine made with the same text he later said was deleted.

Then the mystery thickens. I have no clue, Did the same as Alan got same results.

OH Well

Aloha

I saw it too.

Well I don't know what to say, but it clearly wasn't deleted as again there are two places that I can confirm that. Additionally after reading the above comments, I just went and ran a data integrity check and it shows no problems. Maybe our host had some problem and restored a backup, although I would have hoped that they would have notified us.

modlog.jpg

So I'm at a loss here to explain what happened. I'm sorry Kevin, but it wasn't intentional and I simply don't know what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
... , the conductors and the passengers had left to eat somewhere .
I don't think that happens at a train stop anymore for like 100 years. Basically since the invention of the dining car.
This happened as late as the 1960s. Secondary trains that didn't carry dining cars often stopped for 30 min to an hour at normal meal times. Passengers who wanted to get off and eat could. Often times the train crew would take a headcount of who want to eat in advance and wire the station of the "Meal Stop" so the restaurant could be ready. At dinner they usually had some fixed meal options that were available to feed a group. If you look at Railroad timetables or the official guide, Meal stops were indicated by the following symble: " ll ". I can assure you this was not 100 years ago because I remember getting off a train for a meal stop in the 1950s and 60s. The food at the meal stops was usually excellent home style cooking with generous portions.

I can assure you this was not 100 years ago because I remember getting off a train for a meal stop in the 1950s and 60s. The food at the meal stops was usually excellent home style cooking with generous portions.
I think you might have missed the point. Meal stops, were passengers and crew all leave the train to get something to eat, don't still happen in 2010. Whether is ended in 50 years ago or 100 years ago is really irrelevant; it has stopped.

Well I don't know what to say, but it clearly wasn't deleted as again there are two places that I can confirm that. Additionally after reading the above comments, I just went and ran a data integrity check and it shows no problems. Maybe our host had some problem and restored a backup, although I would have hoped that they would have notified us.
modlog.jpg

So I'm at a loss here to explain what happened. I'm sorry Kevin, but it wasn't intentional and I simply don't know what happened.
ok we'll settle on a glitch.

So he grabs an ice scraper and single-handedly ventures forth to save the day. What a man!
Hey - I resemble that remark!

Seriously, though, I would like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt here.

In the wake of recent increased terrorist activities, it would make sense that one would be wary of "unusual" circumstances.

However, I cannot understand the cops being called to this man's "suprise".

Note: many times I have posted here and when I hit post, it takes me to the home page without posting the note. I've had to train myself to copy the whole post before pushing the button...just in case I have to repost.

I can assure you this was not 100 years ago because I remember getting off a train for a meal stop in the 1950s and 60s. The food at the meal stops was usually excellent home style cooking with generous portions.
I think you might have missed the point. Meal stops, were passengers and crew all leave the train to get something to eat, don't still happen in 2010. Whether is ended in 50 years ago or 100 years ago is really irrelevant; it has stopped.
I "get" that debate over how long ago meal stops ended is irrevelant to whatever happened on this strange trip.

The only reason I made mention of it in post #23 (and perhaps jahjaxfl also) is your saying "basically since the invention of the dining car". I was just saying FWIW that meal stops still happened even when dining car and lounge car service was still at its zenith. Not on the same trains at the same time, of course!

Just a little note from those of us who were alive and kicking in that time span. We did experience very lovely dining cars as well as meal stops, all at the same time, one not replacing the other.

I "get" that debate over how long ago meal stops ended is irrevelant to whatever happened on this strange trip.

The only reason I made mention of it in post #23 (and perhaps jahjaxfl also) is your saying "basically since the invention of the dining car". I was just saying FWIW that meal stops still happened even when dining car and lounge car service was still at its zenith. Not on the same trains at the same time, of course!

Just a little note from those of us who were alive and kicking in that time span. We did experience very lovely dining cars as well as meal stops, all at the same time, one not replacing the other.
Bill, I for one appreciate when one of you guys post a little history of passenger rail trips. I may have been alive and riding trains back then but didn't pay attention to the facts as much as I could have been. My Grandfather and Dad both worked for PRR fright and I enjoyed the use of our passes. Was just to young to care about the ins and outs of railroading. Today I'm trying to make up for lost time.

As always Bill we appreciate the perspective of someone who was there and knows how it was yesterday. :lol: I wasnt lucky enough to get to ride any of the old ATSF Chief trains in the old days but have seen lots of info on The Harvey House and the Harvey Girls and the Hotels! One of the things that I notice since I have done a lot of third world travel is that FAIK only ABQ with the Indian vendors that sell jewelery on the platform are the only such set up in the USA? In most of the world food/souvenir and all other kinds of vendors meet the busses and trains, some even get on and sell their wares, I would think the conductor gets a cut! :lol: Also sadly of the few grand old stations that are still used as railroad stations , only KCY/PDX/LAX and GCT have really first rate resturants as opposed to "food courts" or kisok junk food places! Especially in LAX and CHI, and with King Street Station being remodeled,there is lots of space and opportunity for such places to be started again, IMO they would be succesful! Could add WAS to that too, not exactly white table cloth joints even if there are some really good eating places inside and close by as another thread just showed! Anyone have ideas on this that knows the resturant/bar business? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Grandfather and Dad both worked for PRR fright and I enjoyed the use of our passes. Was just to young to care about the ins and outs of railroading. Today I'm trying to make up for lost time.
Aloha

My typing is notorisly bad so I am not critizing yours, but I must thank you for the slip of the finger on this one. you have made my day. ROFLOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mahalo

:lol:

We love it!

Aloha
My typing is notorisly bad so I am not critizing yours, but I must thank you for the slip of the finger on this one. you have made my day. ROFLOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mahalo

My Grandfather and Dad both worked for PRR fright and I enjoyed the use of our passes. Was just to young to care about the ins and outs of railroading. Today I'm trying to make up for lost time.

Aloha

Mahalo
Oops you caught me Eric! Sadly I had even read it over before I sent it and still didn't catch my mistake. But now as you point out maybe I was right anyway :lol: .

Back