Amtrak Checked Firearms Program

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunchaser

Conductor
Not to stir the pot, but Amtrak has released their Program to allow firearms in checked baggage.

What I thought was interesting is they will not allow transportation of Black Powder.

The info is here

Not to stir the pot, but Amtrak has released their Program to allow firearms in checked baggage.

What I thought was interesting is they will not allow transportation of Black Powder.

The info is here
Probably because black powder is an explosive unlike gun power which burns. It is decidedly more dangerous to transport.

The info is here
As if the presence or absence of this policy would have anything whatsoever to do with carrying of guns, in baggage or otherwise, by those who would use them for criminal purposes.

Great to hear that the law abiding Firearms owner is no longer denied their constitutional freedom to keep and bear arms. I normally take a pistol with me for personal protection everywhere that I travel. I also carry one at all times in my home. Let the criminal be the one who is afraid for a change.

Sunchaser, come on. You know people aren't exactly rational on this subject- in either direction. All yer doing is opening up a can of worms. But alright.

*grabs a bag of popcorn and watches*

The info is here
As if the presence or absence of this policy would have anything whatsoever to do with carrying of guns, in baggage or otherwise, by those who would use them for criminal purposes.
Please don't take your pistol on Amtrak Marshall Dillon! :help:

Sunchaser, come on. You know people aren't exactly rational on this subject- in either direction. All yer doing is opening up a can of worms. But alright.

*grabs a bag of popcorn and watches*
Aww, GML, I just thought if people could read what they plan on doing, they wouldn't get so freaked...there I go thinking. :eek:hboy: Eat some popcorn for me.

As a competitive shooter and Amtrak lover, this excites me. I can travel by train to my favorite meet next year! Now if we could combine my love of live music, this will be a dream next summer...

Great to hear that the law abiding Firearms owner is no longer denied their constitutional freedom to keep and bear arms. I normally take a pistol with me for personal protection everywhere that I travel. I also carry one at all times in my home. Let the criminal be the one who is afraid for a change.
I sure hope that pistol is licensed...and licensed where you're going otherwise it is you who is the criminal. :cool:

I do however support Amtrak's policy as it addresses one of the major concerns I had.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope that pistol is licensed...and licensed where you're going otherwise it is you who is the criminal. :cool:

I do however support Amtrak's policy as it addresses one of the major concerns I had.
I am quite sure you know that there are many locations that do not require licenses for the transport of any guns. (AK, AZ, VT for example). Those three states do not require any state governmental action to buy or carry open or concealed or transport. So if you were coming from AK and going to AZ, 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq. would cover you so long as you are traveling.

I am quite sure you know that there are many locations that do not require licenses for the transport of any guns. (AK, AZ, VT for example). Those three states do not require any state governmental action to buy or carry open or concealed or transport. So if you were coming from AK and going to AZ, 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq. would cover you so long as you are traveling.
I was addressing the bolded portion of the statement which implies a concealed carry situation. Also, I think you should take a look at Arizona's statute. You will see that a permit is required for concealed carry at least for another week (7/29/10) ;) . Arkansas requires a permit for concealed carry. Alaska isn't really germaine to the discussion as last time I checked you can't take Amtrak to Alaska ;) and Vermont is its own animal entirely.

Actually,if the Second Ammendment was treated the same way as the First, any form of licensing of guns would dissapear. :eek: :eek:

I will now step aside as the wild screams and thrown objects get started. :help:
It is in a lot of respects as there are lawful restrictions placed on the 1st Amendment (time, place, manner). :cool:

:lol: :lol: I think those are usually reserved for me....
I think I'm heading towards that territory myself :lol: :lol:

I was addressing the bolded portion of the statement which implies a concealed carry situation. Also, I think you should take a look at Arizona's statute. You will see that a permit is required for concealed carry at least for another week (7/29/10) ;) . Arkansas requires a permit for concealed carry. Alaska isn't really germaine to the discussion as last time I checked you can't take Amtrak to Alaska ;) and Vermont is its own animal entirely.

Actually,if the Second Ammendment was treated the same way as the First, any form of licensing of guns would dissapear. :eek: :eek:

I will now step aside as the wild screams and thrown objects get started. :help:
It is in a lot of respects as there are lawful restrictions placed on the 1st Amendment (time, place, manner). :cool:

:lol: :lol: I think those are usually reserved for me....
I think I'm heading towards that territory myself :lol: :lol:
I know that AZ passed the legislation to remove the CCW permit necessity at least three months ago and assumed it was now in force, my bad. AK is germane to Amtrak because the continuity of travel is all that is required and I think there are some passengers who fly from AK to someplace in the continental US (Seattle for AZ travelers) and take the train to AZ. Vermont applies as they have no permit requirement for CCW.

Anyone with experience checking guns with Amtrak? I am Taking a LD trip (returning home) next month which requires a transfer in Chicago. Forgot to make mention when booking the trip but see i ahve 24 hours prior to departure to do so.

Have travelled for years with guns flying (where the rules are actually simple) but first time on train. For he most part flying is a breeze, every now and again you find a gate agent with no idea of rules. Anyone with practical advice or personal experience with the new program?

Anyone with experience checking guns with Amtrak? I am Taking a LD trip (returning home) next month which requires a transfer in Chicago. Forgot to make mention when booking the trip but see i ahve 24 hours prior to departure to do so.

Have travelled for years with guns flying (where the rules are actually simple) but first time on train. For he most part flying is a breeze, every now and again you find a gate agent with no idea of rules. Anyone with practical advice or personal experience with the new program?
Make sure that your suitcase is checked from your point of origin to destination Under no circumstances take possession of it in Chicago. If for some reason Amtrak decided they needed to hand you the suitcase refuse to accept it until you have a policeman there to advise you on proper protocol.

And how often has it helped make you safer? How often have you been threatened and felt the need to use it?

And how often has it helped make you safer? How often have you been threatened and felt the need to use it?
More importantly, what does that have to do with the topic of checking your firearms on Amtrak?

More importantly, what does that have to do with the topic of checking your firearms on Amtrak?
Maybe he's trying to remind the rest of us to keep our distance from strangers who may be itching for an excuse to "defend" themselves against imaginary threats.

I have a concealed weapons permit from PA/NV/UT/AZ/FL. that allows me to conceal carry in (35) states. Three of those states(NV/UT/AZ) required a national background check, state police/sheriff's association certified training class and a range

qualification. FL/PA required national background check and issued permit based on quals from other (3) states. I have to know the laws as I travel/traveled to (46) states by RV and car for (3) years prior to retiring in NV.

18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq. would cover you so long as you are traveling. This FEDERAL law that Mr Leemell quoted basically says you can travel anywhere as long as your weapon/ammo is unloaded and locked in a secure case. The "case" can/is different for each state. To cover ALL (50) states mine is a fireproof lockable box capable of withstanding 2,000 degrees for (1) hour. Every state (there are two) who has tried to prosecute someone who has traveled through with weapons locked in a box have lost. The federal law prevalied.

http://www.handgunla...es/illinois.pdf This law would actually allow you take possession of checked luggage at the Chicago station which had a UNLOADED weapon in a case like mine, go to a hotel for 1-2 nights, go back to station, check luggage and proceed west or east on a train. While in Illinois you better NEVER unlock that case to check to make sure the weapon is there or any other reason, because you now have access and are guilty of a felony.

I have no problem with AMTRAK's policy and letting them know if I have a cased weapon in my checked baggage. Hell, the FBI, Office of Naval Intelligence, DOJ, TSA, DOD, BATF and every military base in the U.S. knows I have a weapon. What the hell is another govt/quasi govt agency.

NAVYBLUE

PS: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ask a police officer about weapons law. Learn them yourself or from a certified firearms instructor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he's trying to remind the rest of us to keep our distance from strangers who may be itching for an excuse to "defend" themselves against imaginary threats.
This statement is just as non-relevant as the one as the prior statement, other than injecting a "hot" topic into a reasonable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back