Amtrak Cascades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cascades are nice trains, and the route from SEA to VAC is very scenic, going directly along Puget Sound in several locations. There are two trains (each way) daily. Seattle's King Street Station is being renovated currently, so it's kind of a mess inside, but it's centrally located and easy to get to. Vancouver's Pacific Central station is very nice, and on the Skytrain, which takes you downtown in just a few minutes.

Make sure to get reservations as soon as possible, as both trains sell out regularly, especially in the summer and on weekends. And don't forget to take your passport, as a driver's license is no longer enough ID to get across the border (unless you have an "enhanced" driver's license that in available in some states). Also, keep in mind that Canada prohibits firearms.

Check out the Amtrak Cascades website: http://amtrakcascades.com/

Highly recommended. Have a great trip!

Thank you everyone. I have read the website but this is our first trip and would like any first hand advice,tips,accounts, opinions?Is it a pretty route to Canada?Any compliants?How is the food?We plan on the early morning train.Can you order anything on the menu or just breakfast?Any entertainment or movies?

Thank you everyone. I have read the website but this is our first trip and would like any first hand advice,tips,accounts, opinions?Is it a pretty route to Canada?Any compliants?How is the food?We plan on the early morning train.Can you order anything on the menu or just breakfast?Any entertainment or movies?
It is a very pretty route, running right next to Puget Sound for a good portion of the run, although less so as it wanders through Vancouver's outskirts.

Food is enhanced "cafe" car and is quite good with a number of local Northwest options. Most of the menu is available at any time, although I think the "entree" choices are specifically for breakfast or dinner. Don't ever recall them offering the dinner "entree" on the morning train.

I am pretty sure they no longer show movies.

Try to get seats on the left side going northbound, as that is the water side. If you are boarding in Seattle, they will assign you seats when you check in, so be there early enough to get a choice of seats.

Normally, they use the Talgo, although right now they are using Superliners while the Talgos are being refurbished. I think that is supposed to end pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. Sorry I was mostly meaning snacks and things like that available.I am glad to hear such good things.

And yes, you can generally order any item at any time.
For the somewhat unfortunate reason that anything "hot" is simply heated up in a microwave, so there's no particular reason

why they couldn't serve it at any time of day, provided it's in stock.

I am sorry to hear that about the food!
Well, it's not that bad provided you have proper expectations. The cold sandwiches are reasonably good, as is the coffee. I haven't had

much of the breakfast stuff, though. But it's definitely not on par with a full-service dining car like you'd find on a long-distance train. Still,

it's a good trip and definitely try to sit on the left!

When you check in, they assign seats. You could request seats on the left side of the train (northbound) as they're assigning them.

It is a very pretty route, running right next to Puget Sound for a good portion of the run, although less so as it wanders through Vancouver's outskirts.

Food is enhanced "cafe" car and is quite good with a number of local Northwest options. Most of the menu is available at any time, although I think the "entree" choices are specifically for breakfast or dinner. Don't ever recall them offering the dinner "entree" on the morning train.

I am pretty sure they no longer show movies.

Try to get seats on the left side going northbound, as that is the water side. If you are boarding in Seattle, they will assign you seats when you check in, so be there early enough to get a choice of seats.

Normally, they use the Talgo, although right now they are using Superliners while the Talgos are being refurbished. I think that is supposed to end pretty soon.
How early for check in? Earlier than the usual half hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back