Amtrak Cascades F59PHI's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Video taken yesterday by Bobby Harvey Video Productions of the westbound Southwest Chief with the North Carolina equipment at Dallas City, Illinois.

Video taken yesterday by Bobby Harvey Video Productions of the westbound Southwest Chief with the North Carolina equipment at Dallas City, Illinois.

Hybrid? Sounds to me more like the horn was defective...that one or more of its elements was blocked or not working properly....
default_unsure.png

So if I'm understanding correctly, it's just a K5LA with a different (older?) bell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. The distinctive horn that Acelas and HHP-8s have is a K5LA hybrid. Some P42s got them in the early 2000s but many have since had theirs replaced. All Acelas and HHP-8s still have their hybrids except for I believe one end of one HHP which has a regular K5LA (dont know what generation).

The K5LA has a sweet sound, but I like the P5 better...just nostalgia from when I used to hear them on IC E-9's, with their 'Mars' lights beaming thru the night, while I lie on my bunk at Chanute AFB, wishing I could "get out of that place" aboard one of them....
default_smile.png

But my favorite is what carried this one....

http://www.dieselairhorns.com/sounds/uGG1a200.mp3

default_cool.png

The K5LA has a sweet sound, but I like the P5 better...just nostalgia from when I used to hear them on IC E-9's, with their 'Mars' lights beaming thru the night, while I lie on my bunk at Chanute AFB, wishing I could "get out of that place" aboard one of them.... [emoji4]

default_cool.png
Would that be a GG1?, I don’t know the model name of the horn though.

The K5LA has a sweet sound, but I like the P5 better...just nostalgia from when I used to hear them on IC E-9's, with their 'Mars' lights beaming thru the night, while I lie on my bunk at Chanute AFB, wishing I could "get out of that place" aboard one of them.... [emoji4]

default_cool.png
Would that be a GG1?, I don’t know the model name of the horn though.
Absolutely correct!
default_smile.png

The horn is a Leslie A200

Yes. The distinctive horn that Acelas and HHP-8s have is a K5LA hybrid. Some P42s got them in the early 2000s but many have since had theirs replaced. All Acelas and HHP-8s still have their hybrids except for I believe one end of one HHP which has a regular K5LA (dont know what generation).
You are correct about the HHP having a normal K5LA at one end of the unit. I believe it’s 653 and the B end of the locomotive.

I actually like the “Hybrid K5LA” has a nice sound. I’m still getting used to the ACS-64’s horn. It’s got a nice sound in the distance to it. I’m about 2.5 miles from ZOO and MANTUA interlockings and can hear them blow the horn every once and a while.

Is the North Carolina set still in Colorado? I still want to see it in Chicago since I wasn't able to on the way out due to a late CL. Going east, the schedule allows me to see it every day of the week.

Is the North Carolina set still in Colorado? I still want to see it in Chicago since I wasn't able to on the way out due to a late CL. Going east, the schedule allows me to see it every day of the week.
It was on the southbound Capitol in the video just a few posts up, so unless I'm missing something, it is not there.

The NCDOT trainset is back in NC. Amtrak Cascades engine 470 was just set out in Charlotte from Piedmont 75. I assume 470 will be on 80 tomorrow in order to start its trip home.

jb
Your assumption would be correct. It will be interesting to see where home will be though.

Back