Amtrak Cascades F59PHI's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw repainted locomotive #91 in the yard this morning, well most of it anyway.  A coach was blocking its nose. 

20181217_075415.jpg

The Surfliner/Metra hybrid color sheme is actually sort of growing on me. I understand that the plan is to actually paint them in a proper Metra paint at some point, but this definitely could be worse.

I hate dragging threads off topic, but since it's in the photo DS linked, has anyone actually seen the any of those repainted old Metra smooth-sided cars in service?  I've seen a few at Western Avenue yard for several months now, but haven't seen a single one in service, and I regularly see Milwaukee District, UP, and Rock Island trains, and occasionally see BNSF/Southwest/Heritage trains as well.  So, if they were in regular service, I'd expect to have seen at least one by now.

I hate dragging threads off topic, but since it's in the photo DS linked, has anyone actually seen the any of those repainted old Metra smooth-sided cars in service?  I've seen a few at Western Avenue yard for several months now, but haven't seen a single one in service, and I regularly see Milwaukee District, UP, and Rock Island trains, and occasionally see BNSF/Southwest/Heritage trains as well.  So, if they were in regular service, I'd expect to have seen at least one by now.
I found this (very short) video of them, and it mentions in the common section that a couple are in service.

Yes they are in service. Look on the UP lines particularly in the evening. I've also seen a car or two on trains headed south out of Union Station.

Metra F59PHI #73 was in revenue service on Friday January 11th.   It was double heading with NP36 #405 which was just painted in a Milwaukee Road Heritage inspired paint scheme.   Here they are at Union Station before the train departed. 

20190111_170014.jpg

20190111_170037.jpg

Metra F59PHI #73 was in revenue service on Friday January 11th.   It was double heading with NP36 #405 which was just painted in a Milwaukee Road Heritage inspired paint scheme.   Here they are at Union Station before the train departed. 

View attachment 12155

View attachment 12156
I am absolutely loving the look of that MP36. Is there a reason why it’s painted that way? Sort of reminds me of a Veyron:

2011_bugatti_veyron_super_sport_63_1920x1080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that 3 of the former Amtrak F59PHI locomotives are in revenue service for Metra this morning while on my morning commute.

Back