Amtrak car wash

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
In the 1950s, apparently trains like the California Zephyr received a car wash halfway through a long-distance trip. How often does Amtrak wash its cars?

I am not sure how often it occurs, but there are car washes at the ends of the routes (like NYP - actually Sunyside, CHI, LAX, etc...), but not enroute. They may do a sponge wash at some stops, but not a run thru car wash.

There actually is a car wash near the Chi yards. Similar to an actual car wash, train creeps slowly through brushes, suds and water rinse!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was on the SWC in 2007 during the layover in ABQ they used buckets and and a several foot tall squeegee to wash the windows including the ones on the SSL lounge.

At Denver, the Zephyr is usually given a window washing by workers with long-handled squeegees. But on my recent trip that did not happen. I'm not sure if it was because the train was 2 hours late getting into Denver (westbound) or because it was a Sunday.

When I rode the Canadian, it was given similar treatment westbound at Winnipeg.

However, I've never noticed an en route washing on the other long distance trains I've ridden. I've ridden the full length of the Empire Builder, Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, and Silver Meteor (and several of the state-supported and corridor trains).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back