Amenities Being Eliminated from Long Distance Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago following a roundtrip to Chicago I posted a letter in this thread that I had sent to Mr. Boardman, with a copy to various public officials. Today, I did receive a personal reply from Customer relations, from a Mr. Adam Bland. I am somewhat satisfied in that my letter was obviously paid some attention, and the reply was anything but a form letter. I don't expect them to restore all the amenities because of my letter, but I at least wanted them to take notice, which they to have done so, with a copy to Mr. Boardman. An explanation was given about the need to reduce expenses with vendors, and they are intent on " expediting repairs to equipment, rails, and right of way. Our progress thus far includes overhauls to sleepers, coaches, locomotives and track. " Well, that sounds good up to a point.

I had sent a separate Email from my hard copy letter saying never mind sending me a voucher. However, an apology was made for the failure of the toilets in my last sleeper on #3, and the letter included a voucher for $250. I do not intend to return it! Since I complained about the high fares in relation to the level of service, a discount is in order and I will use it later in the year.

Another poster posted a copy of this e-mail, but that thread got closed because this thread exists. So, in case anyone is interested, here's a copy of the e-mail that Amtrak is sending out to everyone who currently has a reservation on the EB, the CS, and the LSL:

"Dear Amtrak Sleeping Car Passenger,

While it is never easy to tell you, our valued customers, that we are eliminating some amenities, these changes are necessary in order to reduce costs, increase revenues and preserve passenger rail service across our country...."
I don't see how eliminating amenities increases revenue.

It is a real stretch to look at increasing revenues,, by eliminating amenities, unless you are looking at actual bottom line figures! The small costs involved in eliminating flowers, wine & cheese, amenity kits, etc., cannot give bottom line revenue much of a boost. It has been suggested that this is the first round of cuts and initially I was not in that camp, but I am now somewhat suspicious! The Food & Beverage group has been using cele ritzy chefs to bring a different feel to the menus, but it may be that the variety of menu changes will be decreased and move toward a more standardized menu with only seasonal changes.

I've gotten that same e-mail four times now. They must want to make sure I've gotten the message.
Is your reservation broken up into four segments? I ask only because the computer might be emailing each reservation, not by email address.

I've gotten that same e-mail four times now. They must want to make sure I've gotten the message.
Is your reservation broken up into four segments? I ask only because the computer might be emailing each reservation, not by email address.
That must be it. I have two trips planned for this summer with multiple segments, both coach and sleeper. The sleeper segments total four, so that must be the case.

It is a real stretch to look at increasing revenues,, by eliminating amenities, unless you are looking at actual bottom line figures! The small costs involved in eliminating flowers, wine & cheese, amenity kits, etc., cannot give bottom line revenue much of a boost. It has been suggested that this is the first round of cuts and initially I was not in that camp, but I am now somewhat suspicious! The Food & Beverage group has been using cele ritzy chefs to bring a different feel to the menus, but it may be that the variety of menu changes will be decreased and move toward a more standardized menu with only seasonal changes.
That "move" (standardized menu) has already happened. CZ, CS, SWC all have the same menu. Don't know about the other trains. This will make my May trip a little more boring (at least in the Diner)

Now I know where our amenities have gone! :eek:

From Progressive Railroading:

A final and binding arbitration ruling issued Tuesday will raise wages an average of 3.1 percent annually for Amtrak maintenance-of-way employees, the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employes Division (BMWED) announced yesterday.

The wage increases are retroactive to Jan. 1, 2010. In addition, back wages will be paid to all qualified union members, active or retired, BMWED officials said in a press release.

A panel of three arbitrators rendered the decision, which was negotiated by the Passenger Rail Labor Bargaining Coalition, a collaboration of the BMWED and Brotherhood of Railroad Signalman

That must be it. I have two trips planned for this summer with multiple segments, both coach and sleeper. The sleeper segments total four, so that must be the case.
My mom received four emails as well. We have four segments, involving sleepers, for our trip at the end of July. CHI-PDX (two different reservations), PDX-SAC and SAC-CHI. (Also two segments on the Wolverine, from and to KAL).

one "amenity" amtrak can deep six is the wi-fi in the ppc. have taken 3 trips with use of the ppc this year(pdx-lax rt, pdx-sac rt, pdx-emy). had working wi-fi for a few hours on one leg of one trip and that was it. had about the same batting average on a couple trips with the ppc last year. doesn't greyhound have wi-fi on buses now?

I suggest that we require a reasonable level of knowledge before people start to judge programs. Anything heard on the news services is inaccurate. About anything. I don't care which news service. Its inaccurate. Don't read it.

Congress does need to get its own house in order. It needs to actually start having a clue about what goes on in this country. It needs to be able to explain its actions in a way that indicates it even knows what its voting on. It needs to be able to explain to American Citizens the difference between welfare and welfare fraud, for instance. It needs to explain how much of the waste in this country does not involve giving ordinary citizens anything, but instead giving money to political backers.

Hearing most people talk about politics makes me sick. Its one thing to have a differing opinion. Its another thing to have an opinion based on nonsense, poppycock, and non-truths. It is a fair debate to, for instance, argue about whether or not the government should be subsidizing food service on trains, knowing the numbers that the informed people around here know. Its another thing when people start talking about how the government could buy each Amtrak passenger a first class airline ticket and still save money. Which is about as inane as most of the non-Amtrak related politics I hear around here.

I mean, if you don't have a really strong firm grasp on politics, I mean really firm, could talk about the subject and NEVER worry you are going to be smashed into the floor by somebody who actually knows something, then remember the following quote: "It is better to keep quiet, and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish that the elimination of amenities were balanced by positive action on a PIP or two. I think that would at least minimize the perception being created.

But either way it remains a fact that there will be a battle royale for LD funding this year. The groundwork for it had really been laid in PRIIA with the partitioning of the action plan for the whole system into three sections: 209, 210 and 212. 210 had the least detail about funding, or any action to resolve shortcomings, other than to do the PIPs, as in put together the reports, with no further promise of funding or action to do anything about them. Both Section 209 and 212 were much more prescriptive about what needs to be done regarding funding. Now those cows are coming home to moo.

I really wish that the elimination of amenities were balanced by positive action on a PIP or two. I think that would at least minimize the perception being created.

But either way it remains a fact that there will be a battle royale for LD funding this year. The groundwork for it had really been laid in PRIIA with the partitioning of the action plan for the whole system into three sections: 209, 210 and 212. 210 had the least detail about funding, or any action to resolve shortcomings, other than to do the PIPs, as in put together the reports, with no further promise of funding or action to do anything about them. Both Section 209 and 212 were much more prescriptive about what needs to be done regarding funding. Now those cows are coming home to moo.
Let's not forget my generation wants a national rail network.

Email response, back from Amtrak Cust/Service. Filled out on web, from link that the "........We hate to tell you we are cutting amenities.........." email.

Dear Jerry Pilcher,

Thank you for contacting us regarding changes to Auto Train amenities.

We apologize that it has taken longer than expected for us to reply. We have had an unusually high number of e-mail requests. Your patience is appreciated.

We appreciate your comments regarding our service. Your feedback is valuable to us and has been forwarded to the appropriate department to handle your concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

sincerely,

Email response, back from Amtrak Cust/Service. Filled out on web, from link that the "........We hate to tell you we are cutting amenities.........." email.

Dear Jerry Pilcher,

Thank you for contacting us regarding changes to Auto Train amenities.

We apologize that it has taken longer than expected for us to reply. We have had an unusually high number of e-mail requests. Your patience is appreciated.

We appreciate your comments regarding our service. Your feedback is valuable to us and has been forwarded to the appropriate department to handle your concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

sincerely,
sweet

Eliminate flowers off the diner tables? AU's homepage image will be a reminder of the 'old days.'

I suggest that we require a reasonable level of knowledge before people start to judge programs. Anything heard on the news services is inaccurate. About anything. I don't care which news service. Its inaccurate. Don't read it."
Yes, all news media is inaccurate, don't read it. Just believe what is here on AU!

There is an excellent article in the July 2014 issue of Trains magazine that details the amenities cuts as applied to the Coast Starlight.
Any hope of posting a quick rundown here for those of us who don't get Trains magazine and none of the local bookstores/newsstands carry it? :)

There is an excellent article in the July 2014 issue of Trains magazine that details the amenities cuts as applied to the Coast Starlight.
Any hope of posting a quick rundown here for those of us who don't get Trains magazine and none of the local bookstores/newsstands carry it? :)
You can get it on iOS :p (waiting for mine to come in the mail)

But either way it remains a fact that there will be a battle royale for LD funding this year.
Again, these trains are not like one another. And I really wish someone in power would recognize this.

Avoidable-cost accounting is an appropriate metric for whether service cuts have a chance of actually improving the bottom line. It actually slightly underestimates the value of particular services because service cuts cause loss of connections, which causes cascading losses in ridership and revenues. Anyway, when Amtrak released "direct-cost" accounting numbers for the so-called long-distance trains, we saw that the Palmetto and Silver Meteor contributed to the bottom line, the Auto Train broke even, and the Lake Shore Limited was close enough to breaking even. The City of New Orleans, Capitol Limited, and Silver Star each cost about $5 million to run. The Silver Service as a whole (Star, Meteor, Palmetto) broke even.

The Cardinal also cost about $5 million/year net to run. The PIP tells us that the Cardinal would be more like $7.5 million if it ran daily (with basically no other improvements). It obviously needs a lot of other improvements, particularly from Indianapolis to Chicago. Even a dorm car should boost sleeper revenue massively.

The Crescent costs about $7.5 million net. Given ridership patterns, I strongly suspect that a potential profit from NY-Atlanta is disguised by a loss from Atlanta to New Orleans; in the PIP, cutoff cars were expected to improve the bottom line by $1.5 million! The PIP's "reduced sleeper car staffing" proposal was expected to improve the bottom line by $1.1 million; the dorm cars should therefore improve the bottom line by something similar.

These both have major potential *if* improved.

To repeat:

---------

Florida services as a whole (Star, Meteor, Palmetto, Auto Train) break even and therefore don't need funding for anything but overhead, which Amtrak has to fund somehow anyway.

The LSL costs roughly $2 million to run and the Capitol Limited $5 million; this is peanuts. If these two NEC-Chicago connectors were removed, the lost revenue from connecting "corridor" and Florida trains alone would probably exceed that.

The core Florida-NEC-Chicago network needs to stay intact and its incremental cost to operate is pretty much $0.

Adding the CONO and Crescent to the core Florida-NEC-Chicago network costs $10 million. Adding the Cardinal as well brings the total costs to $15 million/year, or $17.5 million with a daily Cardinal. So that's roughly the net avoidable cost of the eastern long-distance network.

Some will say that cancelling multiple eastern trains at once would have economies of scale, which is true; but this cost isn't much either. The stations which are shared by the CL/LSL and nothing else amount to 3 staffed, 4 unstaffed. The stations shared by two or more of the Star/Meteor/Palmetto but nothing else (counting Sunrail and TriRail as something else) are 7 staffed, 3 unstaffed -- a bit more, but still not much. The Crescent and CONO have one such station: New Orleans. The Cardinal has none. Apart from these shared stations, any train discontinuations will merely increase the costs charged to the states for the stations used on corridor and commuter trains. Cost of maintenance facilities is basically fixed.

The finances of all these eastern trains will improve due to already-committed projects. The new Viewliners; the new locomotives on the NEC; station and track improvements in upstate NY; track improvements in North Carolina and Virginia; Englewood Flyover; double-tracking due to Sunrail; track improvements by the MBTA in Massachusetts. Illnois, Virginia, and Vermont are actively developing corridor routes which will generate yet more connecting traffic. Plans being actively pursued by states would cause further route operations improvements: specifically the NY, VA, NC, and MI ("South of the Lake") HSR plans. There is yet more potential for fairly quick improvements: a new Atlanta station allowing cut-off cars would improve the Crescent's financial performance by a lot immediately; almost any track improvement between Indianapolis and Chicago would do wonders for the Cardinal; implementation of the PIPs would improve the LSL and Capitol Limited.

Furthermore, the population patterns demand train service: Ohio, for example, is denser than France, and eventually hopefully it will regain a government which understands this.

It is worth noting that Boardman's warning in his presentation of March 2013 was of an Amtrak system without *western* Long-Distance services. If there is any sense in the Amtrak administration (and I don't know if there is), the battle royale should be entirely over west-of-Chicago service funding.

I've discussed the six western services before and will do so again some other time, but that's not my point right now. My point is:

Cuts to the eastern services are *plain dumb*.

Interesting post.

Some time ago I calculated that about 50% of Amtrak passengers ride in the area north of Richmond and east of Buffalo and Pittsburgh and that excludes passengers on the LD Eastern trains and the silvers. The area described is about 6% of the US continental land mass.

Geography and population density have much to do with volume. A railroad needs more than volume to succeed, but cannot succeed without volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back