Am I worried about nothing, riding the Adirondack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iowa train fan

Train Attendant
In mid July we will be taking the train from NYC Penn Station to Montreal on the Adirondack. I am now getting nervous about all the issues that come with taking a ride on an unreserved train. Does this train usually run full, I assume with only one train daily it would be quite popular. There will be three of us and I worry about getting seats together. Am I worrying about nothing or is this a possibility. I also hear all stories about crossing into Canada, is this really much of a deal. I am thinking about forgetting the train and just drive. It's only a 7 1/2 hour drive from PA. What is traffic like in downtown Montreal, luckily my daughter is pretty good at reading French so street signs should not be an issue. Please help me decide, I would love to take the train, am I worrying about nothing? Thank you

If you pay for your ticket ahead of time, I believe you are guaranteed a seat. I never saw anyone standing! LOL. I also think you have to tell them when you buy your ticket where you are getting off. Not sure if you can buy the ticket for DC and then get off a stop ahead of time. LOL I think you might have the security people checking you out.

On the whole, train travel is great.You will enjoy it. We hope to take the train to Miami some winter soon.

Since you're boarding at the very start of the run in both NYP and MTR, you will have no problem finding seats. And the train is NOT unreserved at all. (You just don't have a specific seat assigned to you at the time of booking like you do on a plane.) Every time I've been on the Adirondack, there were plenty of available seats.

Yes, to reiterate, the Adirondack is a reserved train. That means that if you have a ticket, you have a seat. Now, the seats are not assigned ahead of time, (your ticket will not have a seat number on it), but you're getting on at the very first station. You shouldn't have any problems getting several seats together.

Heck, my friends and I boarded last year in Albany, several stops up the line, and the 3 of us were able to sit together and had plenty of open seats around us.

As for crossing into Canada, if you're an American citizen with no felonies on your record, you'll be allowed into Canada. It's essentially the same situation as it would be if you drove to Canada. In fact, it's the same border agents (they pull them from a nearby road crossing when it's time to screen the passengers on the train).

When I went into Canada aboard the Adirondack last year, the only people in our car who had any trouble was a Swedish couple who had decided that morning to buy a ticket on the train and ride up to see Canada. Since they bought tickets that morning, they weren't on the advance list given to the Canadian border agents. Additionally, they weren't Americans, so they were taken back to the cafe car to verify that it was okay for them to enter Canada. And it was fine. Everyone on the train was allowed to enter Canada.

As for whether you should drive or take the train, that's up to you. The Adirondack is by far the most scenic route on the east coast. It's an easy ride up to the Great White North. No driving stress, no getting lost, no paying an arm and a leg for gas.

Yes, in my opinion, you are worrying about nothing. After all, driving isn't problem-free either. What if your car breaks down? What if you get lost in the wilds of upstate New York? What if you get caught in a traffic jam for hours? What if the border guards won't let you across? What if you're in a terrible accident?

Travel comes with risk. For the most part it's a teensy tiny risk. I think your trip is much more likely to go smoothly on the train than it is by car.

And you certainly won't need your car in Montreal. The Metro system is excellent, and is very easy to navigate. The city also has a great bus network, and many of the attractions are close to Centre-Ville (Downtown), so you can get there by foot or by bike.

So, don't worry. Just let Amtrak do the driving for you. And enjoy the fantastic views of the Hudson River Valley, Lake Champlain, and the Adirondack and Green Mountains.

Thank you to all, I know you have a seat, just not a pre assigned seat, I am just worried about finding three together. But like it was said, since we are boarding at the start of each leg, that should help. Thank you again

Iowa train fan...

Absolute worst case scenario and you don't get to sit together... You all can hang out in the lounge car together. It's a better place to hang out and chat anyways.

Crossing the border is the same process... Since the border patrol already knows who is on the train they have already scanned your names... So if anything it's an easier process I would think.

I think it will be a beautiful, scenic trip and much better than driving. I LOVE relaxing while Amtrak does the driving for me. The border crossing shouldn't be an issue, as others said, and you can ask the car attendant for three seats together (if they assign seats when you board). Have a great time!

As a day train the Adirondack doesn't have car attendants just two conductors (who switch in Albany) and the LSA to run the dining car. The crew will direct you to a specific car(s) but not assign specific seats like on LD trains.

I never road this route but is it possible to get a red cap to help you with your bags and preboard the train?

I never road this route but is it possible to get a red cap to help you with your bags and preboard the train?
I used a red cap in both NYP and MTR and preboarded the Adirondack.

Thank you again to all the advice, I think we shall take a stab at the train, you are right, driving can be a pain. I hope it is all right to ask this here, I know not really Amtrak related! As far as money, do we need to get Canadian currency? Do they except US money? I assume using a CC will not be any different? Would probably use a red cap anyway so we do not have to drag our bags around waiting for the train to arrive. Thank you again

.............As far as money, do we need to get Canadian currency? Do they except US money? I assume using a CC will not be any different? Would probably use a red cap anyway so we do not have to drag our bags around waiting for the train to arrive. Thank you again
Yes, in larger cities some places will take US money but will probably discount it for the inconvenience of having to handle it.

But really........It’s only courteous to use the currency of the county you are travelling in.....bank ATMs are everywhere here so there’s no problem at all to get Canadian money.

I could just see myself trying to use CDN currency in the US....even on Amtrak!

From the Amtrak Timetable:

“Canadian Paper Money Only is accepted on trains that serve Canada directly and at stations served by those trains” “Canadian Coins are only accepted on the Maple Leaf between Toronto and Niagara Falls”....I can’t use a Loonie or Toonie coin on the Adirondack or Cascade even while still in Canada!

By the way, I would concur about taking the train. Unless you are doing automobile touring around Canada outside of cities, I would not bother driving. The Adirondack is not an elaborate train, and if it was me I would consider bringing some of my own food, and is rather slow. But the comfort and scenery are big pluses.

I also would rather take the train than drive. I grew up iin northern NYS and drove to MTR 3-4 times a year. Even 30 years ago, driving in MTR (like any large city) was no fun.

As far as having CDN $, I would also say to have at least some. It's like if someone tried to by groceries in your local store using Euros or Pounds. I don't think your local store would accept them. And I agree about the credit cards. Most cards charge a fee (usually 3%) as a conversion fee.

You may not be aware that using a credit card in another country such as Canada will incur a 3% add'l charge on each purchase.
Not all credit cards.
Chase Sapphire does not charge a foreign transaction fee. After I arrived in Montreal on the Adirondack, I used an ATM in the train station to get some Canadian dollars. I used my Chase Sapphire credit card whenever I could and the cash for tips and small purchases.

By the way, the abbreviation for the Canadian Dollar is CAD$, not CDN.

I would advise having some cash on hand in case of emergency. Your credit card will probably work fine, but what happens if there's a power outage, or your card doesn't work for some reason? It's always good to have at least $50 or so in the local currency.

You can generally get foreign currency by going down to your bank. Most banks will order it for you and have it in in a few days. But banks closer to Canada or with a customer base that travels to Canada frequently might have some on hand.

If you have a BofA account......they have a reciprocal agreement with Scotia Bank in Canada with no exchange fees

Heh, I was in Montreal this past weekend (though I didn't travel by train, I stayed in the Delta Centre-Ville hotel which is more or less diagonally across University St.).

Many vendors in the immediate area will accept US dollars at par, meaning 1:1 without consideration of minor differences in exchange rate--but this may or may not work in your favor (I always asked before making a purchase).

But there's a Banque Nationale right in the train station, next to the Bureau en Gros (Staples), which does currency exchange, and if that isn't open, there's a Bureau De Change just two blocks west of the station at University and St Catherine (Sainte Catherine) which even has Sunday hours (it's where I got examples of Canada's new polymer bills)

---PCJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about language. Montrealers love their French, but country is officially bilingual. It helps just to always say, in a sing-song voice, "Bonjour!" and "Merci!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back