Am I sleeping in the Diner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Booked my trip to NOLA a while ago, and I was looking at my ticket:

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 11.15.46 AM.png

But ... according to http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32610-line-numbersconsist-listings/, that's the diner!

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 11.16.32 AM.png

What are they going to do, flatten the booths to we can stretch out? :p

Seriously, though. Where will car 5900 be?
Look at the bright side, you will have ample access to water, ice, coffee and juice

The Diner on the City of New Orleans is a CCC ( Cross Country Cafe), a combo Diner-Lounge which is one of Amtrak's less than successful ideas! ( the Texas Eagle also has them and the Cap Ltd will be " temporarily using them in place of the Diner and Lounge for a couple of months beginning in Jan. They are also used as substitues for the PPC on the Starlight and replacement Diners and Lounges on the other LD Routes that are Superliner Equiped!)

Back in the Bad Old Days when Jim Crow ( Segregation) was the law in the South

the Black Food Service Workers on the Pullmans had to sleep in the Diner,so your question about sleeping on the tables is not as far fetched as one might think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Should read:

5809/5909 - Transition Sleeper

5800/5900 - Sleeper

Look for the line number on the side of the car. This is the changeable number beside the door, and should not be confused with the roster/shop number, which is permanently painted on the car. Diners and lounge cars do not have line numbers. No reason for you to plan on sleeping on the tables.

Tom

Look for the line number on the side of the car. This is the changeable number beside the door, and should not be confused with the roster/shop number, which is permanently painted on the car. Diners and lounge cars do not have line numbers. No reason for you to plan on sleeping on the tables.
I was (I hope you realize) being facetious in my question. Just though it interesting that the consist is probably not what I thought it was. Besides, there's no way that I could fit on a table with my wife.

No, I'm not going to explain that any further. :eek:

Thanks, Tom!

The OP appears to understand that Amtrak's car numbers are by no means an exact science and is simply having a bit of a laugh. Just to be clear to new readers the car order thread hasn't been updated since June and wasn't always correct to begin with. In all likelihood the car order thread will never be updated again. Sometimes even the cars themselves will display invalid numbers for various reasons. Consider the car numbers to be a general guide and not a precision estimate.

They don't keep the car line Numbers up to date. I boarded 22 in stl and saw a line number that had been incorrect since San Antonio. The sca was not at his door either. Most passengers were confused.

How do these numbers get changed?

They don't keep the car line Numbers up to date. I boarded 22 in stl and saw a line number that had been incorrect since San Antonio. The sca was not at his door either. Most passengers were confused.

On most of the non-retrofitted Superliners the hatch for the numbers is inside one of the lower level cans, but needs a special key to open it. On the retrofits, it is an electronci sign with the control in the lower vestibule.

I had a sneaky feeling you weren't being 100% serious.
Of course I wasn't. We're in Bedroom B for our trip.

Nevertheless, the thought of converting a dining booth to a sleeping situation reminded me of the days when we rented a motorhome.

Now, there's a cost-cutting idea for Amtrak! After all, the dining cars are unused at night, right? Turn them into part-time sleepers! Hang out in the SSL during the day, and retire to the diner for your night travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, there's a cost-cutting idea for Amtrak! After all, the dining cars are unused at night, right? Turn them into part-time sleepers! Hang out in the SSL during the day, and retire to the diner for your night travel.
Careful. Don't want to give the bean counters and Congressional staffers ideas in case they read this forum. Save money by dropping a sleeper car and give the passengers bedrolls instead for overnight stays in the dining car...

On most of the non-retrofitted Superliners the hatch for the numbers is inside one of the lower level cans, but needs a special key to open it. On the retrofits, it is an electronci sign with the control in the lower vestibule.
Actually, the Superliner I's have the manual numbers and the Superliner II's have the electronic numbers. Actually does not have anything to do with retrofits.

Many of the I's little doors are broken and you can easily open them. I have put little notes in there a couple of times to get a laugh out of my family at station stops.

Actually, the Superliner I's have the manual numbers and the Superliner II's have the electronic numbers. Actually does not have anything to do with retrofits.

Many of the I's little doors are broken and you can easily open them. I have put little notes in there a couple of times to get a laugh out of my family at station stops.
HAH! I totaly one time looked in that door .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back