Almost $700 Million needed to repair New York Penn Station Tunnel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what about the rest of the overall Gateway Project?

Also, what do you make of the Block 780 Station?

I think that even Amtrak will have to reduce some frequency, or move some departure times. This is definitely going to hurt riders on the North Jersey Coastline, Northeast Corridor, and Midtown Direct trains on the Morris & Essex Lines for sure.
Last to access NYP will probably be the first to go.....in other words goodbye, Midtown Direct, for the duration.....
Technically wouldn't that be the Raritan Valley Line service. They run a few midday trains directly into Penn.

Yonah's usually very accurate, and I don't see anything incorrect in his article. If you think he's made a mistake, I expect a point-for-point explanation, jis.

Does anyone have a map or other visual aid to help understand what these projects entail and where they are in relation to everything else?
There's a little map of the Gateway Project in the Railway Age link in the first post. For more description, I'd go to the Amtrak site, at the bottom of the Home page click About Amtrak, and look for the reports on the NEC.

Yonah's usually very accurate, and I don't see anything incorrect in his article. If you think he's made a mistake, I expect a point-for-point explanation, jis.
You know? I really have no clue what I was reacting to back then. Indeed, I am not even sure I was reacting to that article or to Yonah at all! Maybe it is case of a misplaced response to some other thread or something like that. So I am happy to retract, instead of trying to figure out what happened.
Thanks for bringing the inconsistency to my attention BTW.

I'll probably get grief for using a thread that hasn't been used in over 4 years, but the Gateway thread and the Sandy thread probably isn't the best fit. Besides, the East River Tunnel news thread hasn't been used since 2002.

https://www.6sqft.com/amtrak-engineers-eye-cuomos-l-train-fix-for-their-own-east-river-and-hudson-tunnel-repair/

Amtrak is taking a close look at Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s possibly-disaster-averting new L train repair strategy as a “common sense solution” for their own damaged tunnels between Manhattan and Queens, the Daily News reports. The agency would, of course, subject the tunnel fix to more scrutiny before making a decision. Amtrak chairman Anthony Coscia said “It is important for us to do a thorough vetting so that we can determine now at this stage whether it’s a methodology that we could use. Because if it is, it will make the process far less painful to our travelers,” much like the new subway solution would allegedly be.

Though Amtrak’s $14 billion Gateway project involving tunnels beneath the Hudson River between Penn Station and New Jersey gets lots of ink, the agency’s East River tunnels linking Penn Station to Long Island City used by Amtrak, Long Island Rail Road and NJ Transit trains on their way to the Sunnyside Yards also sustained damages from Hurricane Sandy. Amtrak’s plan has been to demolish the interiors of two East River tunnels and rebuild them completely in an undertaking similar to the original L train plan. Like that plan, a working version of Cuomo’s idea would represent a total re-imagining of the project.

What’s more, Amtrak officials wonder if the new solution could work on the Gateway project’s Hudson River tunnels. While Sandy flooding in the Hudson tunnels wasn’t as bad in Amtrak’s East River tunnels, the former had severe structural issues even before the hurricane hit. And the engineers who hit on the new L train repair idea have also visited the damaged Hudson River tunnels.

Back