AGR Sleeper Reservations Cancellation Policy (Rescinded)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that preliminary update as well. I think AGR is possibly concerned about diluting their loyalty program to the point that it would be so far out of line of the airlines that it potentially discourages continued participation.
Yes, that may be part of it too. But AGR headquarters didn't just decide to join FT to post Rah Rah announcements. They joined up to monitor issues and to provide a way to report major issues without going through the rank & file of the AGR staff. I've no doubt that they saw the concerns of many and even the outrage of some over this issue and decided that perhaps they needed to take a second look at things.

Vicky Radke isn't some secretary or supervisor of the AGR phone group. She is second in command at AGR, behind only Michael Blakey. Put another way, if the buck doesn't stop there, then really only Joseph Boardman is left.

I would advise anyone who wishes to have any input on this issue to post your views on Flyertalk's AGR forum.
It couldn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
AGR Insider on FlyerTalk also accepts private messages for member problems where the normal support channels have failed. Not a bad resource, although I wouldn't bother them with mundane issues that can be resolved by a phone agent.

I'm registering (or, more properly, trying to register and getting caught in an over-active anti-spam system) to make a comment myself.

I have some news to report on the grounds that AGR is very aware of the heart-ache amid this new policy, and is disseminating this awareness down to the individual phone agents.

I made an AGR redemption for three-zone roomette for my upcoming trip from Washington DC back home to Sacramento in December last night. At the finalization of the transaction, the agent quite clearly said with some pride in her voice: "And, Mr. Blackwolf, you are most likely very familiar with the Amtrak Guest Rewards program and its benefits. I would like to remind you that, unlike most redemption travel these days, if you should somehow need to cancel your trip you are fully capable of doing so with no penalty. You will get ALL of your points back if you call AGR and cancel up and until your first train leaves the station."

And since there was a small issue with the reservation made (wrong train!!) I needed to call back again this morning. After fixing the issue, this new agent also made a very big deal about being able to cancel your reservation right up until departure.

This makes it crystal clear to me. AGR knows we (Amtrak riders and AGR members) are peeved with this upcoming policy change. And there might even be a chance of it disappearing just as quickly as it was announced if there continues to be trouble. My advice? WRITE/CALL/EMAIL AGR!!! Keep the pressure on!

I've been wondering why Amtrak Insider is on Flyer Talk and is not on this Amtrak forum????

Just saying....
Flyertalk actually has a history of "insiders" from hotel chains & airlines doing this type of thing. I'm not sure if FT actually contacts the various programs or if its more a word of mouth thing (perhaps talked about at conferences, if there are any). So my guess is that the AGR people learned about FT via one of those methods and decided that it was a good idea.

Besides, even though AGR Insider may not be posting here, I know for a fact that some senior people at Amtrak headquarters do check in here to read stuff. So it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that someone has mentioned this topic to AGR and that they are also monitoring this thread. That's why I said it couldn't hurt to post at FT, but I'm pretty sure that they're aware of what's been said over here too.

I made an AGR redemption for three-zone roomette for my upcoming trip from Washington DC back home to Sacramento in December last night. At the finalization of the transaction, the agent quite clearly said with some pride in her voice: "And, Mr. Blackwolf, you are most likely very familiar with the Amtrak Guest Rewards program and its benefits. I would like to remind you that, unlike most redemption travel these days, if you should somehow need to cancel your trip you are fully capable of doing so with no penalty. You will get ALL of your points back if you call AGR and cancel up and until your first train leaves the station."

I wonder what they say for January sleeper reservations?

PS. One other thing, Flyertalk is a site for those who follow, earn, want to learn, and/or discuss all things related to Frequent Flyer type programs. AGR is a Frequent Flyer program. They're not a railfan's program, they don't care about operational stuff for Amtrak, or the next route that should be restored. AGR cares about point redemption programs which is what Flyertalk is all about.

So it makes sense for them to be in a place where frequent flyers and those looking for points programs would go. The fact that AGR Insider often passes on regular Amtrak things to the powers that be is extra nice, but again their focus is on mileage programs.

We actually had a thread recently here on AU where people debated the merit of having an official Amtrak presence on this forum, and the overwhelming consensus was "no." Although the FT AGR subforum is less busy than the AU AGR subforum, the longstanding FT tradition of hosting official "insider" accounts made it easy to accommodate the AGR Insider, I think.

We actually had a thread recently here on AU where people debated the merit of having an official Amtrak presence on this forum, and the overwhelming consensus was "no." Although the FT AGR subforum is less busy than the AU AGR subforum, the longstanding FT tradition of hosting official "insider" accounts made it easy to accommodate the AGR Insider, I think.
I was surprised that the vast majority of respondents were completely against any sort of official Amtrak representation. So many threads here start with good questions or interesting problems but end with few if any official answers. I've seen how other sites that allow official contacts are able to nip minor controversies in the bud before they become long convoluted strings of endless confusion. I figured both Amtrak and AU would benefit from that sort connection. Instead I found out that the majority of members apparently think we're still under the radar. Even if that were true long ago any Amtrak related Google query in the last several years would have put this site front and center on their screen. Not to mention that there are already several unofficial connections between AU and Amtrak.

A new update from AGR Insider, and they're going to postpone enforcing any changes until March, while they take more time to consider the policy and any potential changes.

You can view the entire post here

Fantastic news! I knew the emphasis placed on the current policy when making my redemption reward had to have meant something. Also, my letters through Snail Mail made it to their respective destinations, as I received two phone calls this afternoon. The first was from AGR agent Rachelle who called to explain pretty much what Mr. Blakely's FT post said. The second? From the office of Mr. Varn, the new head of Amtrak's Long Distance Services. Yup! Sent a letter to him too, and while it was a simple conversation with a secretary stating that my letter had been received and read, it was good to know it had not simply been thrown into the trash can.

AGR may be like Honey Badger. But apparently, even Honey Badger can care when enough noise is made! Good job, everyone!

I only heard about this change by stumbling onto this thread. I don't remember receiving any notification directly from AGR about this change.

This would truly lessen the value of the AGR program and especially the credit card for me.

I would not object to a point or cash fee to redeposit my points, but total loss of them makes my loyalty to the program almost non-existent.

If they don't modify this rule, I can say that I would not sit on hold for 20-30 minutes and use up my precious cell plan minutes to cancel my reservation as I have done previously. Instead, I would just wait and see if there was a chance I could make the trip, or add someone else to the reservation who can. If not, so be it.

^_^ Im not on Facebook but I LIKE this! Hope everyone gives AGR their Feedback whether on Flyer Talk or Directly! I personally wouldnt have any problem having the Cancellation Policy be in Line with the Paid Reservation Policy but YMMV!

The temporary change of policy is certainly a refreshing response from Amtrak Guest Rewards officials. It would seem that the original policy was perhaps a trial balloon to see if anyone cared. Now that it is evident that most of us are very concerned over the stringent policy, hopefully all can find a solution that will benefit Amtrak and the AGR community. :)

Perhaps AGR might consider a graduated penalty policy that would take 10% of the points for a first cancellation within 15 days, 25% on the second, 50% third, etc.

In that scenario, one would need to decide whether to use up your 10% grace cancellation and therefore move to the next level on any future cancellations within that 15 day window.

This may be too much of a hassle for the Amtrak computers :wacko: but it would certainly be an incentive for those persons termed habitual offenders to be more responsible when making cancellations, while protecting those of us with less than normal stomachs :(

Just a thought for consideration

I booked an AGR reservation a few days ago on the Sunset Limited for late January and was informed of this new policy. I asked if I could still change (not cancel) the reservation within 15 days and was told yes. Begs the question ... just change the reservation to say 2 months later then cancel after a few days?

I booked an AGR reservation a few days ago on the Sunset Limited for late January and was informed of this new policy. I asked if I could still change (not cancel) the reservation within 15 days and was told yes. Begs the question ... just change the reservation to say 2 months later then cancel after a few days?
The policy was rescinded by AGR pending further review. Who told you the policy was still in effect?

The policy was rescinded by AGR pending further review. Who told you the policy was still in effect?
I called AGR to book my trip and was told about the new policy "because your trip is after January 1, 2013". Sorry I did not read all pages of this thread to learn the policy was rescinded ... apparently my AGR rep didn't know either.

I called AGR to book my trip and was told about the new policy "because your trip is after January 1, 2013". Sorry I did not read all pages of this thread to learn the policy was rescinded ... apparently my AGR rep didn't know either.
Thanks. Sorry my message was a bit brief.

And now as promised by AGR Insider, the update on the policy change:

We promised to follow up with you regarding our policy decision for cancellations of sleeping car redemption travel. We have carefully considered the various viewpoints and concerns raised' date=' and will not be making any further changes to the policy at this time. Sleeping car redemption reservations may continue to be cancelled prior to departure for a full redeposit of points. Effective January 1, 2013, all Amtrak redemption travel (not just sleeping car) must be cancelled prior to departure in order for points to be returned.
Additionally, we will begin strictly enforcing the existing Amtrak policy prohibiting duplicate and impossible bookings. This policy remains in effect for all Amtrak travel.

As always, we appreciate your feedback and your business. Thank you for your continued membership in Amtrak Guest Rewards.

Sincerely,

Michael Blakey

Sr. Director, Loyalty & CRM

Vicky Radke

Program Director, Amtrak Guest Rewards
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1404690-award-policy-changes-re-cancellation-no-board-upgrades-4.html#post20052889

Aw, shucks! You mean all the ranting, raving, fist - waving, not to mention bitching, and moaning, was all wasted? :p . Seriously, that's very good news. Gives me faith that there are some organizations out there that actually listen to customers. Kudos to AGR!

Big props to AGR for reconsidering their decision and siding with their customers. I have absolutely no problem with Amtrak going after chronic abusers of the system while allowing those of us who play by the rules to retain our good faith exemptions in writing. I would advise folks to remember this reversal the next time someone says that consumer feedback never works. If not for outspoken consumers willing to put their mouth where their money is, much of the loyalty system we take for granted today would have been diluted or lost many years ago.

Aw, shucks! You mean all the ranting, raving, fist - waving, not to mention bitching, and moaning, was all wasted? :p . Seriously, that's very good news. Gives me faith that there are some organizations out there that actually listen to customers. Kudos to AGR!
Not wasted. That is what resulted in the change. I'm glad sanity prevailed.

Back