AGR points for voucher use?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimePeace

Disillusioned.
I have heard something about this but can't remember what:

If you cash in a voucher for a ticket, do you get points as a purchase?

I guess like so many things Amtrak, it depends on who you ask... so it pays to ask.

Do you think the odds are better on the AGR site or at the ticket counter? (Thinking of a Downeaster trip soon, which I usually just walk in and buy tickets for as it is likely to be spur of the moment).

I used a voucher(past refund) to pay for a trip that should have put me over the top for Select status. The AGR points never posted. I did the email request and later followed up by phone.I was told I didn't use cash, therefore, no points are earned. I asked the agent to explain how a refund of my cash (voucher) was not the same as cash on Amtrak's financial books. The agent decided to "do me a one time favor and grant the points to me".

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gotten points for coucher use. I was told if the voucher was for a refund, you will get points. If the voucher was generated because of an Amtrak "oops", the voucher has no cash value and you will not get points.

I have gotten points for coucher use. I was told if the voucher was for a refund, you will get points. If the voucher was generated because of an Amtrak "oops", the voucher has no cash value and you will not get points.
Ahh that makes sense. In my case it is for an "oops" so I won't count on points. But that won't keep me from asking. ^_^

If the money came from a transportation credit you got for a complaint to customer relations, then no, it won't earn points. But money that you paid Amtrak at one point, such as in an exchange or refund voucher, is fair game.

I have gotten points if I paid a portion of the ticket and a portion was paid with an"oops" voucher.

But I got no points when my ticket was fully paid for with the voucher. I called and was told I was in eligible bc I paid with voucher.

I have gotten points if I paid a portion of the ticket and a portion was paid with an"oops" voucher.
I have had similar experiences.
Maybe that's how I got around it. My "oops" voucher was $300, but the fare was $304.50 - I paid $4.50 total. But I earned for the complete $304.50 fare! :p
Yes, that is exactly what happened to me. I had a FC ticket on Acela between NYP - BOS. It was a weekend fare so I got the AAA discount. The fare was something like $202.50 and they only charged my voucher for $202. I went to the ticket counter and paid the $0.50 in change. I got the 750 points on that one! :)

Right now AGR has the 3 rides for Acela, get 1 free promo running. Years ago, back before this was an electronic transaction, they used to mail out a coupon that you turned in. The very first year that they ran the promo, if you rode all trips in FC, then you got an FC voucher. But anything less, even just one trip in BC meant you got a BC voucher. The following year, much like it is today, you got BC no matter what.

However, one could pay for an upgrade to FC. So I did that, not wanting to be in BC. Because I paid that $74 upcharge I got 750 points for my trip. Had I just turned in the voucher and gone BC, I'd have gotten no points. :)

Back