Advantages of guest rewards

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregL

Service Attendant
A couple of years ago my wife and I took our first long distance train trip, will more following. I see AU members talking about Guest Rewards. We don't have an Amtrak card. Would it be worth the trouble to apply for one? I really don't know much about it. Any help would be welcomed.

GregL

A couple of years ago my wife and I took our first long distance train trip, will more following. I see AU members talking about Guest Rewards. We don't have an Amtrak card. Would it be worth the trouble to apply for one? I really don't know much about it. Any help would be welcomed.GregL
If you rarely travel by train it might not be worth joining. However, Chase Bank formed an alliance with them and offer a Mastercard. They give you a bunch of points just for joining - no annual fee. For non-Amtrak charges you would receive 1 for 1 Amtrak points. When the card is used for Amtrak you receive double points from both Amtrak and the bank. For example you purchase a $250 Amtrak ticket on the credit card. Amtrak gives you double -500 points - which counts towards 'rail miles.' Chase will also give you double points - 500 - but will not count as 'rail miles.' Use of the card in the diner or at the snack bar results in double points.

Use a rental car or hotel chain that is in the alliance and more points roll in - not only for the transcation, but bonus points.

As the months roll by the next thing you know you'll have points piled up for various levels of travel. Many of us use the Chase card to make every possible purchase via credit card to enhance this.

More details at Amtrak's website.

For example you purchase a $250 Amtrak ticket on the credit card. Amtrak gives you double -500 points - which counts towards 'rail miles.' Chase will also give you double points - 500 - but will not count as 'rail miles.'
That's not exactly correct. Amtrak will always give you two points on the dollar for any ticket used on Amtrak, regardless of how you purchased said ticket. So a $250 ticket will always yield 500 AGR points, regardless of how you paid for that ticket be it cash, AGR credit card, or any other credit or debit card.

Having the Chase AGR credit card normally pays 1 point for every dollar charged to the card. However, buying Amtrak tickets, or anything Amtrak for that matter, will see you earning 2 points for every dollar spent. That's above and beyond any points that you get directly from Amtrak for handing over a ticket to the conductor.

Greg,

Just to be clear here, one does not need to obtain the Chase AGR credit card to participate in the AGR program. I don't have the credit card, only an AGR card. So I only collect points when I ride Amtrak. I also collect points from hotels and other methods, but again I don't have the credit card.

The credit card however can help one to gain points more quickly, especially if one doesn't ride all that often. If you do decide to get the credit card, try to pay it off in full each month or the interest rate will quickly wipe out any value gained from the points.

At the very least, if you plan to ride at least once or twice every couple of years, then I would highly recommend joining at least the base program. One needs to take one ride within a three year period to keep your points from expiring. The credit card is your choice.

I recommend joining up with AGR. I get to ride Amtrak only about once a year and have already earned a free 2 zone roomette and a four Surfliner tickets.

As others have said, you do not have to get the credit card. I did, but only use it when I purchase my Amtrak tickets.

Even if you "rarely ride Amtrak", I still would join AGR. Why not get "something for nothing"?

My sister rarely rides Amtrak - but I got her to sign up a few years ago when she took a trip. She has already redeemed one award and has enough now in her account for a second award! :D

I myself have rarely flown or stayed in the following hotels, but I have (or had) accounts with them:

• Northwest Airlines
    Delta Airlines
    American Airlines
    United Airlines
    Continental Airlines
    Hilton Honors
    Marriott Hotels
    Choice Hotels
    and many others

I just flew on Continental Airlines about a week ago, but before that, I had not flown on ANY AIRLINE since early 2005. And not to brag :D , but I currently have over 500K frequent flyer miles! And like AGR, many of those miles were not from flying - but from shopping at their malls!

It is not required to get the offered AGR MasterCard to join AGR (they are totally separate), but between using Points For Shopping and the AGR MasterCard to buy things I would have to buy anyway (such as food, gas, computer supplies, etc...) and necessary items (like Amtrak trips :D ), I earn 1,000 to 2,000 AGR points each month - even if I don't take the train!

And that can amount to a free trip every year! ;)

Back