Adirondack questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a generally successful trip on the Crescent (significant delays but it got me there well-rested and well-fed with good company and good conversation) the BF and I are planning to go to Montreal on the Adirondack in a few months and I had some questions to ask.

From what I've read in NYP the general consensus is that using a RedCap to board early is a very good idea. When's a good time to procure one? Before going through the customs line? After?

Once on the train it looks like the right side while going north is the good side, Lake Champlain near Vermont looks very pretty! Valid assumption?

Is there Red Cap service in the Montreal station?

Should we get unlucky with the consist how uncomfortable are Amfleet I cars for the 10-11 hour journey?

Thank you :)

Right side going North is good. Should be Via redcaps on platform in Montreal. Amfleet I 's are "ok", just not the extra legroom. I would find a redcap when I arrive in NYP, and (s)he can advise you how to proceed...ie may tell you to check in and (s)he will take you downstairs at certain time or whatever...

Yes, the scenery is very good on the Adirondack.

Between New York and Albany, the best scenery is on the left. (sample below):

Between Albany and Montreal, the best scenery is on the right. (sample below):

Note: Both of these photos were taken from the southbound Adirondack. For the southbound trip, the scenery is best on the left between Montreal and Albany and on the right between Albany and New York.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to arrange for a Red Cap before you get in the Customs line. Otherwise, you may find none available. As said between NYP and ALB, the best views are on the left (northbound) and then from Whitehall to Plattsburgh, the best views are on the right. Most times, there are plenty of open seats and there are no problems changing seats. Just remember to move your seat check.

Usually the Adirondack operates with both Amfleet I and II, and seats are not assigned so you could just move to an Amfleet II - I've done that many times.

I've been thinking of trying this route. How do they handle Customs? Do you have to get off the train, or do the border agents come on the train and check your passport there?

You will be asked to remain in your seats and the agents will come and check everyone on board while you sit at your seat at Lacolle, QC entering Canada and Rouses Point, NY entering the US. Entering the US if your a foreign national (not American or Canadian) they will bring you up to the cafe car where they set up their computers for the US Visit formalities.

The Canadian Customs officials will great you with a "Bonjour" but are also fluent in English, on my last trip there were a series of French Speakers behind me and I overheard an American say "I don't Speak French" the CBSA responded "I speak English too." I haven't heard the US border patrols speaking any French and I know the Amtrak crew (that operates the train all the way into Montreal) doesn't know any French since I've overhead them not being able to communicate to Francophones. An VIA insider once told me that if you had a scanner on the portion of the Adirondack through Quebec that the trackage the Adirondack takes is dispatched in French. I don't own a scanner but am curious how this works for the Adirondack. VIA on the other hand is covered by the dual-langage service acts and virtually all their on board employees are bilingual.

Thanks for the information. Seems a rather civilized way to clear customs - much better than standing in a long line.

Well, its civilised apart from having to sit there for 2 hours...and the questions from US immigration on my way in last time were anything but civil, but that's what I expected.

The Canadian Customs officials will great you with a "Bonjour" but are also fluent in English,
This is because it's the law in Quebec.

Whether you're talking to a border patrol agent or a barista, in Quebec, the law says customers must be greeted first in French.

It's actually quite organized up there. You walk into a shop, and the clerk says "Bonjour!". If you say "Bonjuor. Comment ca va?", they will do any necessary conversation with you in French. If, on the other hand, they say "Bonjour!", and you say "Good morning," they will switch to English.

But it doesn't matter. You could walk in wearing a t-shirt with an American flag and a Tea Party hat, and under the laws of Quebec, they still have to greet you first in French. And that goes for the CBSA/ASFC* (which in Quebec is called the ASFC/CBSA).

*The CBSA/ASFC is the Canada Border Services Agency/Agence des Services Frontaliers du Canada.

So is Amtrak technically breaking Quebec law by not making announcements in French aboard the Adirondack when its in Canada? (there crews don't know any French)

Well, its civilised apart from having to sit there for 2 hours...and the questions from US immigration on my way in last time were anything but civil, but that's what I expected.
It takes 2 hours? Is that just the "coming to the USA" part or does it also take 2 hours going into Canada?

So is Amtrak technically breaking Quebec law by not making announcements in French aboard the Adirondack when its in Canada? (there crews don't know any French)
Technically I imagine they are.
I doubt it. The Adirondack is not a VIA train; it's still operated by Amtrak personnel even in Canada, just like the Cascades in BC -- but unlike the Maple Leaf, which is a VIA train in Canada and operated by VIA personnel.

Thank you for the tips, I will find a Red Cap as soon as we get into NYP!

great pictures too

The Canadian Customs officials will great you with a "Bonjour" but are also fluent in English,

................they still have to greet you first in French. And that goes for the CBSA/ASFC* (which in Quebec is called the ASFC/CBSA).

*The CBSA/ASFC is the Canada Border Services Agency/Agence des Services Frontaliers du Canada.
The CBSA is an agency of the Canadian Government and falls under federal law which is bilingual.......English and French being equal.

................they still have to greet you first in French. And that goes for the CBSA/ASFC* (which in Quebec is called the ASFC/CBSA).

The CBSA is an agency of the Canadian Government and falls under federal law which is bilingual.......English and French being equal.
Except that in Quebec, French is more equal than English.

In Quebec, the ASFC is required to greet you in French first.

Except that in Quebec, French is more equal than English.
In Quebec, the ASFC is required to greet you in French first.
The CBSA falls under Federal Laws which are bilingual. And agencies of the Federal Government are required to provide service in both English and French on an equal basis. You would be greated in French as it is the working language of that area under Federal legislation for Federal employees.....not by Quebec law. The same applies for Federal Employees in the Acadian areas in New Brunswick and some areas in Ontario where French is the prodominant language.

For example in a Post Office (Federal) in Quebec you would find signage in both French and English and lettering of equal size. But go into a Quebec Government office or anywhere falling under Quebec Law (a store for example) you would find French predominant and little or no English signage and if there is any English on a sign it must be in smaller lettering then the French.

http://globalnews.ca/news/499201/pastry-shop-owner-against-quebec-language-police-gains-support/

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/language-law-exemptions-enjoyed-by-54-quebec-companies-1.1246721

Driving along Quebec highways, signs are in French only. But crossing over to Montreal Island on the bridges owned by the Federal Bridge Corporation another agency of the Federal Government, all signage is bilingual. Once off the bridge, it’s back to French only.

http://www.federalbridge.ca/

Believe me......the language debate has been going on in this country "time in memoriam" !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe me......the language debate has been going on in this country "time in memoriam" !!
Thank you for the clarification.

Doesn't change anything for the anglophone crossing the border, though. Basic point: If you ride the Adirondack into Canada, the ASFC/CBSA will greet you in French. However, they do speak English.

I have noticed in general on VIA trains as long as you are in French predominant states the order of announcemtn is French first English second. When you are in English predominant states the order changes to English first French second. Is this something that just happened by chance on all my trips? Or is this the norm?

I have noticed in general on VIA trains as long as you are in French predominant states the order of announcemtn is French first English second. When you are in English predominant states the order changes to English first French second. Is this something that just happened by chance on all my trips? Or is this the norm?
That's SOP in the Great White North jis!

This has always been my experience as well.

Yes it's French first in Quebec. I’ve also heard French first in the Ottawa area and eastern Ontario where there are large French speaking populations. Also in the Acadian regions of New Brunswick.....Moncton and north on the route of the Ocean.

When I traveled on the Canadian in December 2011, from Toronto to Vancouver, for the first part of the trip, all announcements were in English first then French. When the crew changed in Winnipeg, the person in charge of announcements (whose title I cannot remember - I know it is not conductor) was French dominant and she gave her first announcement in French first, then English. However, all announcements thereafter were in English first. My guess is that someone reminded her that they were in "English" provinces.

.......However, all announcements thereafter were in English first. My guess is that someone reminded her that they were in "English" provinces.
Actually, Manitoba has a rather large French population....one of the largest west of Quebec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back