ACS-64 nickname: got any ideas?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could probably nickname the ACS-64's the Super Dogs, because:

1. They generate 8600 HP, which is quite powerful.

2. They look like the shape of an upside-down hot dog!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The front of it kinda looks like a face of some kind, but I can't put my finger on what... a cat maybe? Lion?

The front of it kinda looks like a face of some kind, but I can't put my finger on what... a cat maybe? Lion?
Whatever animal it is, it can look evil with the slanted lights. "Move out of my way, I'm coming through." :D

Toaster? Meatball? Rhino? Might anyone be able to explain why such names... or, they happened to stick, for no particular reason?
Going back in time to the streamliner era, passenger engines, especially EMD 'E' and 'F' units were commonly refered to as 'Covered Wagons'.....in contrast to freight 'road switcher', or 'hood type' carbodies with outside running boards.

Another nickname in use by employees and railfans back then, was 'Rectifier', for both the ex Virginian E-33 electric freight locomotives, and the PRR E-44 electric freight locomotives. The name was derived from their common use of ignitron rectifiers for converting current. They were also called 'bricks' by some, in reference to their boxy shape, especially compared to the beautiful lines of the GG-1, and the earlier P-5a.
What about New Haven EP5 'Jets'? Or Milwaukee Road 'Little Joes'? And diesel's....EMD GP's are 'jeeps'....DD40's are 'Centennial's'....

lots more...some names are 'official', named by manufacturer or railroad, other's are nicknames from crews and railfans....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back