ACS-64 nickname: got any ideas?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgiaquin

Service Attendant
To continue the tradition of nicknaming Amtrak locos, What should we nickname the ACS-64? Maybe if the AEM-7 was a Swedish Meatball, the ACS-64 can be a German Bratwurst. :giggle:

I tended to hear "toaster" used for the AEM-7s more then the meatball. The toasters are really the only engine that has a nickname, I've heard HHP-8s referred to as rhinos but it's pretty rare, haven't heard a nickname for any other engine.

peter

Toaster? Meatball? Rhino? Might anyone be able to explain why such names... or, they happened to stick, for no particular reason?

Toaster: boxy shape. Meatball: from Sweden (Swedish Meatbals). Rhino: not sure on this one, I personally call them Hippos (HHP...Hippo...). I think Brat is a good nickname for the 64s.

I've heard it called the butter stick because presumably the ACS-64 bears a resemblance to an old school butter dish.

Although I'm not sure I'm a fan of that name...

Toaster? Meatball? Rhino? Might anyone be able to explain why such names... or, they happened to stick, for no particular reason?
AEM-7's: Toasters are simple, they look like a toaster due to it's boxy shape, I'm actually riding behind one now.. 934 to be exact... My 4th ride or so behind it.

AEM-7's: Meatball comes from it's swedish design.

HHP-8's: Rhino. Eh who knows..

HHP-8's: Hippo.. Dunno that one either..

HHP-8's: Banana.. Cause it's shapes like a banana..

How the HHP got more knicknames in ten years then the AEM-7 over thirty beats the heck outta me.

AEM-7's: Toasters are simple, they look like a toaster due to it's boxy shape, I'm actually riding behind one now.. 934 to be exact... My 4th ride or so behind it.

How the HHP got more knicknames in ten years then the AEM-7 over thirty beats the heck outta me.
Because 'Toaster' IS the perfect nickname? ...especially when one catches on fire! :eek:

Hopefully the nickname that sticks to the '64s' will be based on fondness and not due to shortcomings!

I'm actually going to miss the Toasters...

It might be hard to fathom now, but could there be a day when future foamers look back at them as fondly as we do the GG-1s? :huh:

Old slang nickname for electric locomotives in general is "juice hog" or "juice jack." Once they're out running around in the wild I think it's likely the ACS-64s will become known for some particular characteristic(s) that will lead to a nickname.

002-M.jpg
Old GE mining juice hog, sans pantograph, at Ely, Nevada. (WhoozPhoto)​

The most distinctive feature of the ACS-64 to me, based solely on the photos and videos, are the angled headlights. Almost angry looking headlights. Could paint a large mouth with triangle shaped teeth under those headlights and call it the shark.

I came up with "Darth Toaster" awhile ago.

Other names I've heard are "Catmobile", and a reference to "Angry Birds" (though I can't recall how that was worked into a locomotive nickname)

In all three cases, it was the headlight arrangement that inspired the monickers.

---PCJ

Going back in time to the streamliner era, passenger engines, especially EMD 'E' and 'F' units were commonly refered to as 'Covered Wagons'.....in contrast to freight 'road switcher', or 'hood type' carbodies with outside running boards.

Another nickname in use by employees and railfans back then, was 'Rectifier', for both the ex Virginian E-33 electric freight locomotives, and the PRR E-44 electric freight locomotives. The name was derived from their common use of ignitron rectifiers for converting current. They were also called 'bricks' by some, in reference to their boxy shape, especially compared to the beautiful lines of the GG-1, and the earlier P-5a.

Because 'Toaster' IS the perfect nickname? ...especially when one catches on fire! :eek:

Hopefully the nickname that sticks to the '64s' will be based on fondness and not due to shortcomings!

I'm actually going to miss the Toasters...

It might be hard to fathom now, but could there be a day when future foamers look back at them as fondly as we do the GG-1s? :huh:
When they catch fire, they're smoky toasters.. I love me some burnt toast! :lol: :p

I enjoyed a ride behind 934 last night.. Man can they still haul some rear end.. Not to mention that the guy running the thing put the braking power to use north of NHV. My guess was he was a newbie. Simply cause of how much braking power he used.. Way to much..

I will! :)

AEM-7's: Toasters are simple, they look like a toaster due to it's boxy shape,
I guess also due to the corrugated yet shiny pattern on their sides, which is reminiscent of an old-fashioned toaster.

The most distinctive feature of the ACS-64 to me, based solely on the photos and videos, are the angled headlights. Almost angry looking headlights. Could paint a large mouth with triangle shaped teeth under those headlights and call it the shark.
Yep, I think sporting a Flying Tiger grin would also be appropriate!!!

Sizzle Sizzle :p

This is sort of derogitory but how about diesel wanna be? Or double headed diesel?

I propose the nickname 'Spermwhale,'

The paint scheme has the same colors,

It's round and bulbous like a whale

And it's made by a company called Siemens for hell's sake!

This is sort of derogitory but how about diesel wanna be? Or double headed diesel?
And how do you figure that? ;)
I propose the nickname 'Spermwhale,'

The paint scheme has the same colors,

It's round and bulbous like a whale

And it's made by a company called Siemens for hell's sake!
In that spirit, why not drop the "whale" part, since it is nowhere near hump-mongous in size like a whale. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Catmobile fails to take hold, I think this may cover it:

1448835908-522e0439f7996c6b8200f1dacefd023b.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back