Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
A friend of mine recently moved to NJ. He is thinking about going to BOS and was wondering what the difference is on Acela between First Class and Business Class and if the extra $$$$ to go First Class is worth it? I told him that I had very little Amtak info on Acela since I've only ridden on it once for about 30 miles.Thanks! He lives in Trenton and wants to take a regional to NYP and then take Acela to BOS.

The First Class upgrade is $80, NYP to BOS. For that he will be served a hot tray meal with unlimited beverages at his seat plus possibly a newspaper . I find the meals have small portions for my 215 pounds. That is a lot of dough for what you get, in my book. The seats are slightly more spacious in First Class.

Not sure about the Acela, but here's a thought:

What about taking the Regional business class? The upcharge is $42, which includes much of the same amenities (except for the hot meal, and most NER cars have 2x2 seating with added leg room) that Acela First Class provides. The seating should also be nicer than regular Regional seating, but someone will have to confirm that.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine recently moved to NJ. He is thinking about going to BOS and was wondering what the difference is on Acela between First Class and Business Class and if the extra $$$$ to go First Class is worth it? I told him that I had very little Amtak info on Acela since I've only ridden on it once for about 30 miles.Thanks! He lives in Trenton and wants to take a regional to NYP and then take Acela to BOS.
Al: Im with the "if it's a Once in a Lifetime thing" it's Worth it! For Regular Travel on the NEC, Coach is fine and there are "Deals" all the time such as the $49 Fares! The only Biz Class I think is Worth it is for #66/#67 since its Overnight and it has the 2X2 Seating from the Old Metro Liners! Id say he should go for it, plus he'll get 750 AGR Points (if its during a Bonus Promo, Double or Triple! :) )

I don't think Regional Business Class provides any of the same amenities Acela First Class has.

Acela First Class has a hot meal plus unlimited beverages (including alcoholic), and an attendant to serve you.

Regional Business Class, you walk your butt to the cafe car and get a free Pepsi or Coffee.

Stick with the regional all the way. Acela's are not worth it in my opinion. I find the seats on the regionals more comfortable than the Acela's, the food isn't really that great, and I didn't think the experiance was that great. However, I have done it for the experiance of doing it.

He was pricing it and asked me if it was worth the extra $$$$. But since I have only been on Acela once, I wasn't the "guru" he thought I would be. He's hardly taken trains other than with me back in the midwest!

I'll split the middle and say the friend should try Acela Coach... errr... Business Class unless they want the experience - or they can put away a few Dogfish Head Beers. My last recent AC/FC experience (courtesy AGR coupons) was pretty lame. I rode BOS - WAS with Mrs. Crockett and we had to put up a fuss to get our second meal out of NYP :( , and the food I got, some shrimp dish, belonged in a slop bucket for the pigs in the barn and not on my tray, as it tasted way past its time, and the shrimp had that texture of fish that has been frozen and thawed too many times. :angry2: So the service was mediocre (one attendant was good, the other seemed overwhelmed and really should either get up to speed or get a different position) and the food was lame. Only the Dogfish made it worth while. :) So if it is only the Acela experience, I'd go with AE/BC. If it is the best that Amtrak (theoretically) has to offer, go with AE/FC and be ready to drink some beer. :p

According to FlyerTalk, there's unlimited drinks. (I did not realize the alcoholic part, my apologies.) You also get a newspaper in both.
In my experience...

Unless you're on the first train of the day, it's more like you have access to a stack of newspapers left on the luggage racks. Depending on the time, it's likely just sections of classified ads left behind and papers put back by other passengers. For the sodas, you have to walk to the cafe car (2 cars back) and show your ticket to the attendant. You get a 6 oz soda that is kept in an unrefrigerated cabinet. Depending on the mood of the attendant, they may give you more than one. Last time I asked for two on my second visit and was accused of passing them to non BC customers. It's not a quiet car either, so expect someone on their cell phone for half the trip. I have never found the upgrade to be worth it when all you are really getting is a <$1 soda. I think it's mostly infrequent travelers who buy the tickets through work and think it will be akin to airline BC.

In AE FC, everything is brought to you. It includes food which is not great but better than the $8 DiGiornio for One. A couple of glasses of wine. Hot towel when you leave. The car is generally quieter. You feel like your upgrade $ is actually getting something. AE and Regional business class are like night and day. I would tell the friend to try FC at least once for the experience if he has the money.

Northeast Regional business class provides unlimited soda, coffee, and juice - the attendant may want you to come back for additional drinks instead of giving them to you all at once, but there is no limit of one drink. The drinks are usually kept in a refrigerated cabinet, but if they aren't, there are plenty of cups and ice available.

The soda cans are 8 ounces but you can have as many as you want (until they run out).

I only took it once in BC but that time I thought it was still overpriced because it wasn't much faster and not very comfortable. It's a fun experience and he should ride it, but no need to pay extra. Now even the NER is quite expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am easily capable of drinking $40 worth of booze from NYP - BOS. :)

That plus the meal plus the S and S+ upgrade coupons have made it so that I haven't traveled BC on the acela in about two years. But if I am not doing FC on the acela, I would rather just ride coach on the regional.

As others have mentioned, the charge for BC on the regional is really the worst deal on amtrak. Sometimes the BC car is more crowded than coach, too.

Is Acela first class worth the cost? That depends on ones financial means. If money is not a problem its worth it and if there are concerns it isn't. It all comes down to what a larger seat, food and drink are worth to you for a 4 1/2 hour trip.

The fares are: $53 for a seat on the regional from MET (Iselin NJ) to BOS South Station.

$130.00 for a seat on the Acela

$214.00 for a first class seat on the Acela

The time savings on the Acela trip when compared to the regional is about 45 minutes.

You decide.

Acela First is the closest to Parlor Car Service on the private railroads except alcoholic beverages are free. Meals could be served at your seat in Parlor Car, but most people preferred to go to the Dining Car. It was a good way for business people who were the mainstay of parlor Car travel to get introduced to other business people over dinner in the diner.

Al: Im with the "if it's a Once in a Lifetime thing" it's Worth it! For Regular Travel on the NEC, Coach is fine and there are "Deals" all the time such as the $49 Fares! The only Biz Class I think is Worth it is for #66/#67 since its Overnight and it has the 2X2 Seating from the Old Metro Liners! Id say he should go for it, plus he'll get 750 AGR Points (if its during a Bonus Promo, Double or Triple! :) )
Are the #66 & #67's the only NEC or Regional cars that have 2x2 seating? Does the #167 Regional have 2x2 seating? in BC? And which station in Boston do you use if you want to be in the downtown Quincy/Waterfront area? Thanks for letting me piggyback/hi-jack your topic RFLNK :)

Are the #66 & #67's the only NEC or Regional cars that have 2x2 seating?
66 & 67 have 2x1 Club seating

Are the #66 & #67's the only NEC or Regional cars that have 2x2 seating? Does the #167 Regional have 2x2 seating? in BC? And which station in Boston do you use if you want to be in the downtown Quincy/Waterfront area? Thanks for letting me piggyback/hi-jack your topic RFLNK :)
Do you mean Quincy Market and the waterfront in Boston, or the waterfront in Quincy (Boston suburb)?

Assuming you mean Quincy market, get off at south station and walk. It's closer to BOS than BBY. Unless you want to take the subway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back