Acela Leather Seats?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eddy Llay

I know awhile ago there was some discussion that Amtrak was converting the Acela First Class seats to leather. It still says this on the AGR site, but I have never seen the seats or heard anything else. Does anyone have any details? Pictures? Confirmation that they are doing the seats in leather? Thanks

At least one, if not two, people on Flyertalk have reported finding a train set with those leather seats. I don't know if other trainsets are still getting them or not, much less what progress, if any, they are making.

At least one, if not two, people on Flyertalk have reported finding a train set with those leather seats. I don't know if other trainsets are still getting them or not, much less what progress, if any, they are making.
The prototype seats are in one car and the process will continue until all First Class cars contain leather seats.

Hey, Thanks guys. Do we have any released details, pictures or trip reports? I'll be taking it shortly. By the way, did they add footrests? That would really set it apart.

Hey, Thanks guys. Do we have any released details, pictures or trip reports? I'll be taking it shortly. By the way, did they add footrests? That would really set it apart.
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...676183_6231.jpg
The question is: Do you really prefer leather? I personally not as your "backside" is always sliding on it and it gives an overall cold feeling. On the other hand it is more lasting and less prone to get dirty. German railways recently converted more than 60 High Speed ICE trainsets to leather in first class.

here original design: http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/DB/ICE1GrossraumO/ in Quicktime, for a Flash version click HERE

and after conversion to leather http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/DB/ICE1GrossraumRD/ in Quicktime, for a Flash version click HERE

*RANT*

Why the **** is everyone bloody offering this new breed of flat, formless, hard, and uncomfortable seat in every conceivable place, to the detriment of more comfortable contoured seating? Not just trains, but cars, planes, coaches, office chairs, and so forth. Most of them are upholstered in uncomfortable, drab looking smooth-and slippery low-grade leather. Leather that looks so much like vinyl, the world would be better off if it was.

Rolls-Royce offered leather on their cars. It was comfy, of fantastic quality, and clearly a high quality offering. But now, I find "leather" has come to mean luxury, even if it is just a paper thin veneer of hide from a mangy cow rejected for even hot-dog meat. WHY? Velour is more comfortable, warmer, and nicer. Good quality leather is great. Bad quality leather is "NO!"

The trainset with locomotives 2006 and 2037 is the one with the leather seats.

The trainset with locomotives 2006 and 2037 is the one with the leather seats.
Just stepped off this trainset. Seats are nice, but I do prefer the older ones better. The cold feeling you describe is accurate. Further, they remind me quite a bit of Delta Airlines domestic FC seats. Does anyone know who their manufacture is? I suspect it is the same company, judging at least by the feel and by the very similar stitching patterns.

Talked to an attendant today. She said the upgrades on the seats (and tray table springs) was going slower than planned because, with the increased ridership, they are not taking as many cars out of service for routine maintenance. Kind of an unfortunate Catch 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back