Acela II RFP information announcement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
From that article one gets the impression that Alstom's offer to Amtrak appears to be derived from the British Pendolinos. This in my opinion would be a fine things since I do like the Pendolinos quite a bit.
Are the Pendolinos quiet to ride in? I was originally under the impression that the AGV would be the coaches for the new Acela trains.
Why would you think the new Alstom trainsets would be 220 mph AGVs? What Amtrak is seeking for the curvy NEC are 160+ mph trainsets with tilting capability. The UK Class 390 Pendalinos (wikipedia entry), while built for 140 mph max operating speeds, apparently come close to meeting the basic requirements. The Brits have brought a total of 57 trainsets, with some of the 9 car trainsets lengthened to 11 cars. A Class 390 trainset has reached 162 mph, so the design is close to matching Amtrak's 160 mph max revenue speed requirement.

Wikpedia entry on the Pendalino family for further reference.

Sorry. Never been to Europe to experience their HSR. What are these HST's that the Brits have?
Here you go ...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_390

And yes they are smooth and quiet on British tracks. What they or actually some sort of derivative which are wider and taller than them, will do on the less smooth American tracks is a different matter.
Thanks.

Just curious, is it possible that should a similar design be chosen?? Where the Cab would be in a coach, basically making it similar to a Cab Car?? I'll see if I can find a photo of what I'm describing..

Edit: This is what I'm talking about. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/ICE3_Euerwangtunnel.jpg

The us definition includes all trains traveling faster than 100 mph correct?

If so, how is the Keystone Service still running with cab cars?

Could someone please reiterate what the in use definition is, to help clear up some confusion on my end?

From a 2009 FRA document:

New standards or guidelines could also address circumstances under which the use of passenger‐occupied lead units may or may not be acceptable. FRA's regulations for Tier II operations, which covers passenger trains that operate up to 150 mph, requires that the power cars at the ends of the train exclude passengers. This is the current arrangement of the Acela trainset on the Northeast Corridor. One HSR operation that will be constructed on a dedicated right‐of‐way has proposed a 150 mph service with passenger seating in the power cars (cab cars). Another HSR operation has proposed a 220 mph service and has also included passenger seating in the power cars (cab cars).

FRA realizes that some of the more modern HSR train sets used overseas eliminate the conventional power car and use an electrical multiple‐unit configuration that includes passenger seating in the cab car. However, there are no simple answers to the question of whether passenger seating in cab cars is appropriate. The answer will require careful research and full consideration of the operating environment where the trainset operates. Protection for the operator and passengers will remain a key factor.

FRA will conduct further research into the relationship between occupied power cars and the number of injuries and fatalities that might occur in a collision or derailment as part of this review.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiG47GNzYDNAhXDGx4KHRNkASgQFggvMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fra.dot.gov%2FElib%2FDocument%2F2225&usg=AFQjCNGR2WIeisBVWgtZhT-1HmPNVNxEgg&sig2=M4wFHwcuZr4wJKFz5oqZJw

Tier III is actually the proposed new standard that replaces Tier II for operation above 125mph. The new sets will be Tier III compliant. No one will ever order or make another Tier II anything. It is an obsolete standard. I don't believe the Tier III specs have made it into CFR yet.

From that article one gets the impression that Alstom's offer to Amtrak appears to be derived from the British Pendolinos. This in my opinion would be a fine things since I do like the Pendolinos quite a bit.
Are the Pendolinos quiet to ride in? I was originally under the impression that the AGV would be the coaches for the new Acela trains.
Why would you think the new Alstom trainsets would be 220 mph AGVs? What Amtrak is seeking for the curvy NEC are 160+ mph trainsets with tilting capability. The UK Class 390 Pendalinos (wikipedia entry), while built for 140 mph max operating speeds, apparently come close to meeting the basic requirements. The Brits have brought a total of 57 trainsets, with some of the 9 car trainsets lengthened to 11 cars. A Class 390 trainset has reached 162 mph, so the design is close to matching Amtrak's 160 mph max revenue speed requirement.

I was under the impression that the new Acela trains would have AGV coaches with TGV power systems--thus not manufactured for 220 mph use.

keep in mind that part of Tier III proposal is, any speeds over 150 mph would need to be dedicated right of way with no intermingling of tier I or II trains.
Not for the NEC: https://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FRA-2014-0124-0003
And according to a FRA Regulatory Activity Update slide presentation ("RSAC Regulatory Update (FINAL).pdf" link found with a google search) from November 9, 2015, on the proposed new high speed regulations: "Proposes to increase the maximum speed for Tier II operations from 150 mph to 160 mph." So, the FRA may increase the Tier II to Tier III threshold to 160 mph, subjected to the safety regulations. Which of course only applies to the NEC anyway.

The November, 2015 had this timeframe for the new regulations: "NPRM Expected – Fall 2015 (Under Departmental Review)". Well, it is now end of May, 2016. Has anything been officially issued? The wheels of bureaucracy can turn slowly; very, very slowly.

Edit: direct link to the PDF file didn't work correctly, so just listing the filename.

I was under the impression that the new Acela trains would have AGV coaches with TGV power systems--thus not manufactured for 220 mph use.
The New Pendolinos used in Italy and Poland can do 155mph so they could be what Alstom is proposing. The British Pendolinos are the previous generation of the Italian and Polish trains. But the requirement for faster operation in the future leads me to think they proposed the AGV with tilt, an option they have long planned for but never built. That tilt system would likely be closely related to the New Pendolino tilt.

"Railway Gazette understands that the single-deck proposal borrows heavily from the fleet Alstom is to supply to Amtrak for its premium Acela Express service linking Boston with New York and Washington DC. Alstom expects final confirmation of this order ‘within the next couple of months’."

Latest posts

Back