Access to Metropolitan Lounge at DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At most stations that have checked baggage service, you can day check bags for a fee, it appears to be $10 everywhere now.
Not necessarily, as I was charged $5 per bag in Sacramento and also in Eugene, OR. As for Portland, it might be $10, but was told that Business Class and sleeper passengers are not charged for bag storage.
I think they just changed it. The website until very recently used to say $5, $10 at certain stations, NYP being one. Now it just says $10 per bag.
Exempting sleeper passengers from the charge at certain stations is probably hit or miss depending on the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than the baggage desk, there is a day check desk at WAS, next to Gate A. It was run by a private group, but it either has been or soon will be turned over to Amtrak.
About a year ago, I used the Amtrak day check. I was leaving on the Capitol, but had to go into the office, and I didn't want to haul my bag all over town. I checked the bag at the ticket office where you check baggage, and I picked it up over by the baggage carousel in the main concourse. You had to go over to the window where you pick up lost and found (I've done that, too) and wait for what I considered a really long time for the bag to come out. I'm glad I arrived early for the train. I don't know where they stored my bag, it must have been in an alternate universe or something. I had a similar thing happen to me at two different hotels in Boston where I day-checked a bag. I must have waited 30 minutes before the bag arrived. I think they were storing them in Newton or something.

Back